Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 09:00   #1

Boat: soon a cat:)
Liberal Shipping Rules?

know any one country / nation with liberal shipping rules?
Background: I want to sail a 45ft sailing catamaran with paying passengers (6pcs) ocean voyages! Under Swedish flag is the requirement that it should be at last a sea captain (4 years college etc.) if I do it only with "friends" (no payment) it´s no need for training directly! I not want get into a "gray area/zone" with paying crew, etc. so is there any nation with more liberal rules that we can flag the boat in? and then run a business / boat from that country?
grateful for suggestions!

sorry for my bad English
Rickardrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:08   #2

You can register your boat in Liberia. However don't expect to be able to get insurance, and don't be surprised if you have a hard time finding paying passengers.
Efraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:29   #3

Boat: Privilege 37
A number of countries now offer an ofshore registration which has relaxed rules. If I recall correctly, I think that Norway might. However, before going down that route, you will need to consider whether that will enable you to get insurance, whether there is any policy in Sweden that prevents it, and whether this will mandate a company registered in the country that you are registered in.

I believe that UK also has an offshore registration as well, and company rules are cheaper there than Norway!

with a 45 ft cat I believe you could get a commercial endorsement on a RYA yachtmaster which would be sufficient in UK
Old 07-09-2009, 10:59   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
The dilemma is that most third world countries do not care what you do with paying passengers. Unfortunately, in most third world countries you are not going to find enough people with enough money to support your business. More developed countries have relatively high standards for carrying a specific number of passengers for hire. The reason for the standards is to keep these people safe. Additionally, regardless of where you document your vessel, you still must abide by the laws of the country that you are in. In the US if you are carrying more than six passengers for hire the vessel, captain and paid crew members must meet quite a number of legal and licensing requirements.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 13:40   #5

Boat: A few!
Do you have a plan of where do you want to charter? How many groups a year do you intend to have onboard?
caribcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 17:18   #6

Boat: a sailing boat
Panama, Vanuatu, Cayman Islands, Transylvania ...

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:08   #7

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Well lots of ships are registered in Panama because of the liberal shipping rules. So that is probably a good place to start your search.

Marshall Islands in the South Pacific seem popular with Mega Yachts. Nice to have your home port as Bikini Atoll!

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:01   #8

Caribcat:
I want to be able to charge for guests who want to follow and there is no particular people I target! but just people who want more
adventure and want to go for longer periods of 1-6 months almost as paying crew but more on business grounds, (it's my company that owns the boat, therefore)

all other: thanks everyone for the answers!

sök
Old 08-09-2009, 04:11   #9

Boat: A few!
Take a look here The Best Odyssey Yacht Share- Kiteboarding, Surfing, Sailing, Paragliding Expeditions in Style for inspiration As far as I remember taking to Gavin this is set us as a fractional ownership and therefore all paying guests are owners making it a private boat. Not many rules and regs!
caribcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:09   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribcat View Post
Take a look here The Best Odyssey Yacht Share- Kiteboarding, Surfing, Sailing, Paragliding Expeditions in Style for inspiration As far as I remember taking to Gavin this is set us as a fractional ownership and therefore all paying guests are owners making it a private boat. Not many rules and regs!
bingo!
Old 08-09-2009, 05:12   #11

he charge about $ 300 a day but my mind was only 29euro exclusive food

Tags
shipping