Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2022, 13:28   #1

Boat: Lagoon 42
Life line turnbuckle thread size, Leopard

I'm trying to help a friend in Fiji set up Dyneema life lines on his 2006 Leopard, 46ft. Would anybody be able to tell me what the thread size is on the life line turnbuckles for tensioning is? I'm trying to source replacement parts.

thanks for any help,

Craig
AZ_Zoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 14:16   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Life line turnbuckle thread size, Leopard

They are not standard. The upper and mid can be different. Also, half are lefthand.

Why not lashings? It will likely be difficult to take up the construction stretch with a turnbuckle unless the lines are pre-stretched after splicing.
Old 06-07-2022, 14:31   #3

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Life line turnbuckle thread size, Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Zoner View Post
I'm trying to help a friend in Fiji set up Dyneema life lines on his 2006 Leopard, 46ft. Would anybody be able to tell me what the thread size is on the life line turnbuckles for tensioning is? I'm trying to source replacement parts.

thanks for any help,

Craig

If replacing wire lifelines with Dyneema then turnbuckles are not needed. Splice a soft eye and luggage tag that end (typically at the bow) around the padeye or pulpit tube. Run the lifeline through each stanchion in turn (ensure that the holes are really smooth, or use a bit of hose or cover to protect the Dyneema at each stanchion). At the aft end splice another eye and add a thimble. Then lash between the thimble eye and the push pit tube or padeye - that lashing provides the tension.

If there are gates then that makes it a bit more complicated. Leave the wire gates in place for now, then use two lengths as described above. Luggage tag one to the front stanchion and run it to the bow, where you lash the thimble. Luggage tag the other to the rear stanchion and run it to the stern. Once your friend has more access to online ordering they can explore fittings to make Dyneema gate lines - Blue Wave has some really nice (and expensive!) fittings, as does Colligo.

Typically you would use uncovered SK78 5mm for the lifelines and 3mm Dyneema for the lashings. Each lashing should have at least 3 full turns.

No reason your friend can’t order themselves - NZ suppliers regularly send stuff to Fiji - try Chains, Ropes and Anchors for the Dyneema.
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard, size