Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2008, 05:54   #1

Lifting system for jetski, hobie.

Anyone have ideas to lift a jetski to the front of the boat or/and a hobie.

Talking about multihulls like lagoon 420, fp or nautitech in same size.

And keep the small rib in the back.
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 06:02   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I'm having a hard time visualizing what you're talking about. Are you actually planning to store a jet ski and/or a Hobie cat on the foredeck of a cruising catamaran???
Old 18-06-2008, 06:38   #3

Boat: FP Tobago 35
1.) Get an extra long spinnaker pole, use the spinnaker halyard for lifting, and a couple of guys for sideways control.
option 2.) Mount some padeyes on the decks, use 2 spinnaker poles to create a kind of "A-frame" to clear the seagull catcher. Use the spinnaker halyard for lift.

Option 3.) Buy a trawler instead of a sailing catamaran, these can have a nice hyraulic crane to handle all these things. A sailing cat is not really designed to be loaded up in this manner, unless you are only running in protected waters.

I would hate to have a jetski jumping around on my foredeck in bad weather, it could easily smash something critical like the forebeam....
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 06:55   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
I'm having a hard time visualizing what you're talking about. Are you actually planning to store a jet ski and/or a Hobie cat on the foredeck of a cruising catamaran???
Me too, those jetskis weigh tons, I think you will probably need a much bigger boat!!
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 07:07   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Open one of the sugarscoops hydraulically, with a telescoping ride-up dock, after stretching the cat a bit. Your special sea and anchor detail can easily disassemble a couple Hobies and store them in the crew's lounge. This may cut into the number of Tees on your driving range.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 07:31   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: still dreaming...getting close...
Small Crane

The only practical/affordable way to get something that big and heavy up on the foredeck is to install a small crane. There are a few quality manufacturers that produce some relatively inexpensive cranes. I say relatively because the other option is to go with a hydralic crane and then we're talking tens of thousands of dollars. Even then, you'll want to keep the jetski down to a small size because the big three seaters can easily weigh over 2000 lbs. which is beyond the scope of conventional cranes.

The highest weight that one of our systems, the 10000T, can handle is around 1000 lbs. The picture below is a model 6500T which has the same basic design of the 10000T but is only rated 650 lbs. These cranes are our low-profile models as they lower down when not in use. This is serious hardware that includes all of our standard features; Almag-35 castings, 316 stainless steel, etc. The 12V motor is also available in a 24V version and is rated well above our quoted safe working load.

Basically, its a very serious undertaking and you should consider all of your options. For the small rib in the back, a simple set of davits would do the job.

The picture below obviously shows the crane system on a powerboat but you get the basic idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6500T (1342 x 868).jpg
Views:	634
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	3918  
Old 18-06-2008, 11:31   #7

Thanks for all answer. I will not have a jetski on foredeck on a europe-usa trip! Just in the archipelago of stockholm. And this is just ideas so far... thanks.
Old 18-06-2008, 12:51   #8

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Using a chainsaw with a sharp blade, hack the jetski into tiny bits which can then be distributed throughout the boat at your leisure.

Hope this helps,
Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 19:46   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Freetime, please let me appologize for my friend from Santa Barbara, with whom I must sympathize. On the two big Bays in the USA, a jetski is anathema to most sailors who object to their noise, the operator's blythe disregard for rules of the road and nautical etiquette, and (finally) the inevitable scantily clad companion on the back. They offend all our sensibilities, and prompt a healthy jolt of jealosy. While I reserve the .50 cal forward mount with incendiary rounds for the Poker Running Cigarette Boats, I sometimes wish I could magically conjer up a wall of 'ballast water' immediately in front of them on special occasions....

This is not to say that YOUR jetski should be subjected to chainsaw storage techniques, just THEIRS! [g]
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 01:35   #10

Boat: FP Tobago 35
We have some very sensible rules in Denmark. Jet skis are only allowed to operate in very limited areas, and then a minimum of 300 metres from shore. You also need a "speed boat" drivers license to operate one.
Many launch ramps do not allow launching of jetskis due to the 300 m rule.

So for once the authorities and the majority of boaters as well as all who live near to the sea have joined forces, and we have practically no jet skis in the country....

Regards

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 08:54   #11

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Freetime,

On reviewing my post it occurs to me that I may have been a bit too flippant with a poster asking a serious question. I surely meant no offense and apologize it I gave any.

When I lived on the hook I awoke every Sunday morning to the sound of a 2 stroke in my yard and water splashing on my windows. Since then I have had a somewhat visceral reaction to jetskis. I never resorted to lethal force but found that marshmallows fired from a wristrocket gave me a perimeter of peace of about 20’. That said, some of my best friends are jetskiers and I am sure you ride with respect.

Anyhow, don’t want to send your thread off topic. Best of luck with your project.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 15:52   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic cat View Post
We have some very sensible rules in Denmark. Jet skis are only allowed to operate in very limited areas, and then a minimum of 300 metres from shore. You also need a "speed boat" drivers license to operate one.
Many launch ramps do not allow launching of jetskis due to the 300 m rule.

So for once the authorities and the majority of boaters as well as all who live near to the sea have joined forces, and we have practically no jet skis in the country....

Regards

Alan
I would have thought the 300m rule would pretty much rule out any boat ramp.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 05:10   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Freetime,

On reviewing my post it occurs to me that I may have been a bit too flippant with a poster asking a serious question. I surely meant no offense and apologize it I gave any.

When I lived on the hook I awoke every Sunday morning to the sound of a 2 stroke in my yard and water splashing on my windows. Since then I have had a somewhat visceral reaction to jetskis. I never resorted to lethal force but found that marshmallows fired from a wristrocket gave me a perimeter of peace of about 20’. That said, some of my best friends are jetskiers and I am sure you ride with respect.

Anyhow, don’t want to send your thread off topic. Best of luck with your project.

Mike
No problem, Ouer house is 20meters from the water in the lake malaren, close to stockholm and the archipelago of stockholm. We have 2 companys just around the corner with jetski sales, so im tired of jetskis myself. I don´t have a jetski.... the jetski question was mostly what size of objekt i want to lift it could be a laser dingy or a scooter.... This is just planning in my head so far.

regards

joakim
Old 21-06-2008, 13:32   #14
cruiser

Not a good idea-it's too heavy, too awkward, has a center of gravity (weight) that is too high, and your fellow sailors will hate you. Are you really a sailing yachtsman? Sailors and jetskis get along like cats and dogs.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2008, 14:20   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Not a good idea-it's too heavy, too awkward, has a center of gravity (weight) that is too high, and your fellow sailors will hate you. Are you really a sailing yachtsman? Sailors and jetskis get along like cats and dogs.
Read my last post.