Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2020, 15:06   #151

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more
Re: Light air performance of different multihulls?

Oh... Jimmy now sails for Luna Rossa Challenge, and Ben for Ineos Team UK. Oracle Team USA is essentially defunct these days.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 15:17   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdazey View Post
Our threshold for turning on the engines varies on conditions. If we're on a tight schedule and have fuel, we can motor 8+kts. If there isn't a deadline and over long distances, we'll sail as much as possible. Our passage from Ensenada to Sitka was 2600nm+/-. If our speed dropped much below 3.5kts (4-4.5kts wind) I'd give it a half hour. If we're still dropping below 3kts, I'd start a motor. Main and jib only, no code/screecher sail, but I'd sure like one.
That's about my limit, 3.5 knots minimum. I have found in a cat if you just idle the lee engine in light air and motorsail the boat trucks along nicely pointing a good 15 degrees higher also.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 15:47   #153
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
I vote for Jimmy Spithill, Ben Ainslie and the rest of Oracle Team USA to sail the heck out of a Lagoon 42 in light air conditions! Spectacular.
I always chuckle when I read Oracle team USA. Being lead by an Australian and an Englishman.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 17:22   #154

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
I scraped together ROUGH numbers from the posts in this thread. I'm sure I misinterpreted something, but it's easy to fix.

"How much wind is needed to get about 4-5 knots of boatspeed?"

Upwind

Balance 526 4-5 knots
Outremer 5X 5-6 knots
Shuttleworth Advantage 6 knots
Gemini 105MC 34 foot 6-8 knots (?)
Serendipity 43 7-8 knots
Seawind 1160 Lite 8 knots
Hanse 388 8-10 knots
MainCat 41 9-10 knots
Lagoon 400 9-10 knots
Lagoon 42 9-10 knots
Lagoon 42 TPI -93 10 knots

Reaching

Shuttleworth Advantage 4 knots
Schionning Spirited 480 4-5 knots
Balance 526 4-5 knots
Outremer 5X 4-5 knots
MainCat 41 4-5 knots
46’ Custom Cat 4-5 knots
Searunner 38 5-6 knots
Lagoon 42 TPI-93 5-6 knots
Lagoon 400 5-7 knots
Hanse 388 6-7 knots
Gemini 105MC 34 foot 6-8 knots
Lagoon 42 8-9 knots
These numbers are interesting but not too useful. For good comparison we need polar diagrams (from the designer, manufacturer or a rating organization). Here are mine (two examples). For upwind and down wind VMG is the key. Sorry, for the purposes of this thread they are not for a multihull.

My boat can go 5-5.5kts in 6 knots of wind. My VMG will be 3.5 knots @45 deg TWA.

This is slow for us, we really come alive in 7-8 knots of wind as the polar shows.

My source has 8200 examples of Monohull Polars, only 8 examples of Multi hull polars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wings Polars 6kt.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	460.0 KB
ID:	222240  
Old 30-08-2020, 01:26   #155
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
My source has 8200 examples of Monohull Polars, only 8 examples of Multi hull polars.
And yet you are posting it in a thread talking about Multis and in a multi forum area
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 01:34   #156

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
And yet you are posting it in a thread talking about Multis and in a multi forum area
Well, for me (monohull considering moving to multihull) this comparison is of great interest as well.

I could rephrase my own original question like this: if I want to have noticeably better light air performance, what would be the least expensive multihull upgrade from our present boat?
Old 30-08-2020, 01:43   #157

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Well, for me (monohull considering moving to multihull) this comparison is of great interest as well.

I could rephrase my own original question like this: if I want to have noticeably better light air performance, what would be the least expensive multihull upgrade from our present boat?
Possibly a Gemini 105MC,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 02:45   #158

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:

OK so we know what kind of girl you are, it's all down to the price. How big a multihull do want? What is your planned useage?

In the smaller cat-egories there are some nice fast options that are relatively inexpensive.

https://www.multihullcentre.com/dazc...e/dazcat-1095/
Sailing Catamarans - Sagitta (MI)

This little 30ft cat will leave bigger monos in the rearview mirror, probably one of the most fun boats I have sailed on.
"Conclusion

Overall the Sagitta proved a comfortable boat at sea with an easy motion even in the prevailing lumpy conditions and easily ran up to 14 knots on a reach despite not increasing the sail area once we came off the wind. She tacked positively in the open sea and handled easily under power. The accommodation plan provides exactly what the Woods intended so that altogether she makes a very attractive boat"
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 06:38   #159

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Factor, the OP is a monohull owner and his original post was unclear, at least to me, so that was an honest mistake. Since then several posters have engaged me and others in the broader topic. And since his recent post showing the light air capabilities of several boats included my monohull, I think it is reasonable to think that the conversation has expanded.

I don't feel threatened by multihulls and I am genuinely interested in the light air and upwind performance of modern performance cats. I already know from plenty of experience the capabilities of typical cruising catamarans, I see them all the time and sail against them frequently, in organized events and in ad-hoc hook-ups. And I know from other experiences that passages times are not much different from other types of vessels.

But the bigger, faster, cats that might combine speed with with some true liveaboard possibilities interest me. Can they really make good VMG to windward? How good are they in light air? Are they safe in really big storms? Can cruisers keep sail area up at night? How about storage and capacity to carry provisions, spare parts, extras sails, extra anchors, long chains, etc.

So don't try to bully me, please, into going away. I don't think I am a threat to you.

Now, talk is cheap, lets see some polars.
Old 30-08-2020, 06:58   #160

Quote:

Trimaran
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 07:19   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Factor, the OP is a monohull owner and his original post was unclear, at least to me, so that was an honest mistake. Since then several posters have engaged me and others in the broader topic. And since his recent post showing the light air capabilities of several boats included my monohull, I think it is reasonable to think that the conversation has expanded

[...]

But the bigger, faster, cats that might combine speed with with some true liveaboard possibilities interest me. Can they really make good VMG to windward? How good are they in light air? Are they safe in really big storms? Can cruisers keep sail area up at night? How about storage and capacity to carry provisions, spare parts, extras sails, extra anchors, long chains, etc.
The OP is interested in all boats and have the same questions you mention above.

I'm inevitably comparing the multihulls to what I'm currently sailing myself, a monohull, and it's certainly interesting to compare to other monohulls as well.

Above all, I want to move quicker than now in light air, and it seems there are quite a few multihulls that can do that

Peace.
Old 30-08-2020, 07:19   #162

Or proa!
Old 30-08-2020, 07:22   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
Or proa!
So trimaran or proa. Any specific models in mind? For six humans and a dog, CE A (capable to take us from Finland to the Bahamas).
Old 30-08-2020, 07:44   #164

A big one.
Old 30-08-2020, 07:54   #165

Boat: a sailing boat

But these fast light wind ones how do they sail? AP and RC?

It starts with the crew. And very few skippers / crews can sail in light winds.

One must start with a light boat in light winds. A Laser maybe on a lake or similar stuff.

Only then one can go on a Lagoon and try to use the existing knowledge.

One cannot learn sailing in light winds in a boat that does not sail well in light winds. At times, does not sail at all in light winds.

99% cruisers motor in light winds, cat or mono.

Light wind performance is for those who started early and visited the sea.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, multihull