Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2020, 16:47   #196

Boat: Tartan 40
Re: Light air performance of different multihulls?

My opinion from racing and cruising is that DDW is fastest VMG without a spinnaker. And sailing angles (eg jibing downwind) is faster VMG downwind with a spinnaker.

Just clarifying as above folks aren’t clarifying which sails for DDW vs angles. Reason is that to sail a hotter angle with just main and jib/genoa requires 120-130 AWA which is too much extra distance to make it worth jibing. In those cases wing on wing is slowest through water but most efficient DDW VMG.

A dedicated spinnaker or assymetric chute comes alive with only a small amount of heading up from DDW. So then angles are better for DDW destination.

All of this from monohull experience so maybe different on cat.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 16:56   #197

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

On a cruising cat you will have to account for more leeway too the more you come off DDW.

Also there is a comfort issue. waves at 180 +- 10-15 degrees is much more comfortable than waves lifting up one stern quarter then the other whilst the opposite bow is on the downside of the wave.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 20:36   #198

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
My opinion from racing and cruising is that DDW is fastest VMG without a spinnaker. And sailing angles (eg jibing downwind) is faster VMG downwind with a spinnaker.

Just clarifying as above folks aren’t clarifying which sails for DDW vs angles. Reason is that to sail a hotter angle with just main and jib/genoa requires 120-130 AWA which is too much extra distance to make it worth jibing. In those cases wing on wing is slowest through water but most efficient DDW VMG.

A dedicated spinnaker or assymetric chute comes alive with only a small amount of heading up from DDW. So then angles are better for DDW destination.

All of this from monohull experience so maybe different on cat.
This is what I have seen as well and this includes some fast cruising cats who take racing fairly seriously. It would be different if your target is 20° off DDW.
Old 31-08-2020, 22:38   #199

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
On a cruising cat you will have to account for more leeway too the more you come off DDW.
Any leeway off the wind will be in your favour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Also there is a comfort issue. waves at 180 +- 10-15 degrees is much more comfortable than waves lifting up one stern quarter then the other whilst the opposite bow is on the downside of the wave.
We are talking "light wind" conditions, there will be very little sea state.
DDW may give you a better VMG if the wind is stronger, the wave action you describe, or if the boat is slow, but it is not the case in light winds on a fast boat.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:53   #200

Boat: Tartan 40
Light air performance of different multihulls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
DDW may give you a better VMG if the wind is stronger, the wave action you describe, or if the boat is slow, but it is not the case in light winds on a fast boat.

What sails on what boat? My boat is quite fast in light wind and I have to head up way too high to make good VMG DDW to get the jib pulling. Spinnaker is a different story
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:00   #201

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
What sails on what boat? My boat is quite fast in light wind and I have to head up way too high to make good VMG DDW to get the jib pulling. Spinnaker is a different story

Multihull thread... Most monos aren't going DDW at all in the winds being discussed.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:17   #202

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
“Being light is being green,” he says. “When you sail in the Med and you have a boat which is able to sail in 6-7 knots of wind, then you are only going to use your engine 5% of the time. “If your boat needs 10-12 knots of wind, then you’re going to be using your engine 60-65% of the time.”
Stumbled upon this quote. Marc van Peteghem interviewed:
https://www.yachtingworld.com/catama...terview-126258
Old 04-09-2020, 03:02   #203

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
Stumbled upon this quote. Marc van Peteghem interviewed:
https://www.yachtingworld.com/catama...terview-126258
“Being light is being green” so true. didnt worry about it till this year when we hit weeks of light sub 10 kn winds. Luckily we are light enough to got away with mostly sailing. As per VPLP recommendations that means 3 T less than max load for our boat.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:43   #204

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
“Being light is being green” so true. didnt worry about it till this year when we hit weeks of light sub 10 kn winds. Luckily we are light enough to got away with mostly sailing. As per VPLP recommendations that means 3 T less than max load for our boat.
The other thing about being lighter is the fun of sailing it. Another of Marc van Peteghem's quotes from the same article, “In the 70s, people were sailing on simple boats. Over time, they got older and richer and wanted a bigger boat with more comfort – more, more, more – and we drift away from the pleasure of sailing."

This concept holds true for multihull and monohull boats, and let us not forget what got most of us into sailing in the first place: the fun of it.

Tags
hull, multihull