Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2018, 11:17   #1

List down to 3 boats

From Miami we have narrowed our list to 3 boats. We are a family of 5, may have crew with us much of the time. Plan on circumnavigating over 5 to 7 years with stops and stays all over the world to give perspective to the kids.

We have started wanting smaller boats but are concerned with comfort to land on these boats. We will sacrifice "go fast" for the 90 percent of the time we are at a dock or anchored. Over the last year we have been on every boat and option. Not saying there are not other good options but this is our list in order of fit.

1. Leopard 58
2. FP 58
3. Lagoon 560

We have given up on new as we don't have time to wait nor do we have the time to deal with fixing all the warranty issues that come with new. We are happy to pay to fix what breaks so warranty coverage is not our concern. We want a 2015 or newer but could be turned on by a 2012 if well maintained.

My ask to this group is to learn from others who have them if they will fit our needs. Will they take deep water crossings and heavy storms. We will obviously practice avoidance but want to plan for the worse.

Thoughts on these boats...quality...value...etc.

Lastly...anyone know of any pocket listings that are not on yachttrader. Need something by June.

Thanks.
TXnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 11:45   #2

Re: List down to 3 boats

There are always very few L58 on the market, from 0 to 2, never seen more, usually they're more money than Lagoon 560.
L58 and Lagoon 560 have significant difference in draft - L58 - 6ft, Lagoon 56 S2 - 5 ft. Depending where you going to use it this might make a difference.
Otherwise - it's just your preference.
Don't know much about FP - not really interested in it.
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 12:10   #3

That leopard is amazing. It is the most house like boat I have seen. Trying to get the skinny on if your giving up too much for that level of comfort.
Old 19-02-2018, 14:51   #4

Strictly out of curiosity, did you consider the Lagoon 620?
Go Wildcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 14:58   #5

Boat: Lagoon 400

St Francis 48-50. Plenty of room for five and a great boat. Cheers
pathlesschosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 16:18   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Privilege Series 6, Seawind 1600?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 17:34   #7

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

I'll second St Francis 50. It was by far my favourite at the annapolis show. Blew the big 3 away in my mind.
Unfortunately they are a little harder to find comparatively.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 18:48   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Wildcats View Post
Strictly out of curiosity, did you consider the Lagoon 620?
That might be a bigger than we can handle. Have never seen one.
Old 19-02-2018, 19:20   #9

Lagoon 620: simply huge.
St.Francis 50: very few made, impossible to find used (3-5 years old), no fly bridge, considerably smaller. Otherwise it's great boat, but these 3 factors are crucial for people who's on Lagoon 560 territory.
Old 19-02-2018, 19:21   #10

I’m curious why you are going so BIG. How old are the kids? Little ones that need to be kept safe or teens that can be valuable crew? I love the real estate of those boats, but a Saba 50 feels much more manageable for a family (especially if the kids are younger and not full crew members.)

For true blue water, I’m a big fan of the raised helm over the full flybridge so that you are always in communication, less isolated, can install weather protection where you can get from cockpit to bridge with no exposure, and most importantly, have a much lower and more accessible boom for reefing and troubleshooting.

I love condomarans and lots of toys on board and feel the big 3’s 50 foot options can offer that. There’s no right solution, and I’m sure you did your research. Curious why such a big boat?
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 19:37   #11

Ideal solution - second helm inside, fly bridge bimini which can be lowered on it's supports, and boom which can be lowered as well (sliding connection to the mast with two positions).
So there's no fly bridge in open ocean, and beautiful fly bridge to enjoy other 95% of time (with slightly reduced mainsail area).
Old 19-02-2018, 19:57   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalas View Post
I’m curious why you are going so BIG. How old are the kids? Little ones that need to be kept safe or teens that can be valuable crew? I love the real estate of those boats, but a Saba 50 feels much more manageable for a family (especially if the kids are younger and not full crew members.)

For true blue water, I’m a big fan of the raised helm over the full flybridge so that you are always in communication, less isolated, can install weather protection where you can get from cockpit to bridge with no exposure, and most importantly, have a much lower and more accessible boom for reefing and troubleshooting.

I love condomarans and lots of toys on board and feel the big 3’s 50 foot options can offer that. There’s no right solution, and I’m sure you did your research. Curious why such a big boat?
11, 13 and 16. All need their own space. In looking at sizes we evaluate the salon more than anything else. Rooms are rooms. Want to have a roomy comfortable place for those times we are stuck inside...bad weather, cold, etc. Have seen everything between 45 and 60 feet. Nothing less than 55 found to meet our needs. Price is secondary in our decision. Space and comfort comes first. If we need a captain for an extended time so be it. I believe you learn with what you have.
Old 20-02-2018, 02:47   #13

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnewbie View Post
11, 13 and 16. All need their own space. In looking at sizes we evaluate the salon more than anything else. Rooms are rooms. Want to have a roomy comfortable place for those times we are stuck inside...bad weather, cold, etc. Have seen everything between 45 and 60 feet. Nothing less than 55 found to meet our needs. Price is secondary in our decision. Space and comfort comes first. If we need a captain for an extended time so be it. I believe you learn with what you have.
"Rooms are rooms." I rarely read this from someone looking at this size of boats, but I think you are right. Cabins are (mostly) for sleeping and family life happens outside.

Obviously my boat & budget is tiny compared to what you are looking for but one thing to consider:

A boat, even a 55+ft cat, is still a small place to live in. Something that I could not share with crew. Skippered charter for a week is OK, but I don't want to live with permanent staff.

Maybe you currently have domestic staff living with you at home, so you are used to this. Some rich people are mostly raised by staff and are used being surrounded by staff 24/7, but not me. We are not used to this, and I could not stand any staff living with me on a boat.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 04:20   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
"Rooms are rooms." I rarely read this from someone looking at this size of boats, but I think you are right. Cabins are (mostly) for sleeping and family life happens outside.

Obviously my boat & budget is tiny compared to what you are looking for but one thing to consider:

A boat, even a 55+ft cat, is still a small place to live in. Something that I could not share with crew. Skippered charter for a week is OK, but I don't want to live with permanent staff.

Maybe you currently have domestic staff living with you at home, so you are used to this. Some rich people are mostly raised by staff and are used being surrounded by staff 24/7, but not me. We are not used to this, and I could not stand any staff living with me on a boat.
No crew. Kids are out responsibility to ruin not someone else's. Captain for a short time to make sure we are safe and ready to go it alone. Hope to have family and friends at times but mostly just the 5 of us.
Old 20-02-2018, 04:27   #15

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnewbie View Post
No crew. Kids are out responsibility to ruin not someone else's. Captain for a short time to make sure we are safe and ready to go it alone. Hope to have family and friends at times but mostly just the 5 of us.
No crew at 55+ft? I hope you have your kids lined up for maintenance & cleaning chore.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat