Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2010, 13:28   #1

Question Livaboard Cats in Hurricane Season ?

What do livaboard cat owners REALLY do during hurricane season? South America? Watch the weather and run? Ocheechobie (sp?) inland? If I am not more ambitious than the coconut run am I almost forced to be a snowbird? Are marinas going to accept you without valid insurance during that season? Is it enforced? I understand there are significant risks - but maybe I should buy a cheaper boat and not be a slave to the insurance companies?
Thenaz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 13:57   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
Having seen more than one cat (and tri) become conspicuously airborne for extended periods during hurricane winds, I can't imagine being on one during that kind of weather.

The best place for you and your boat to be during hurricane season is outside the hurricane zone. Some folks put their boats on the hard with extra stands and tiedowns, others take them to places where historically, hurricanes have a low probability of occurring. Your insurance company may have specific requirements.

Most of the folks cruising the Caribbean head for Trinidad & Tobago, South America, Belize, Panama, or well up the US east coast. If you have a shoreside job, many of them will head South to avoid the chance of damage or loss. If you're in the Caribbean then South America is a lot closer (and cheaper) than US waters. There are a couple of places in the Leewards where you can put your boat on the hard, but since you're living on it, and these yards don't allow that, your options are limited.
Old 16-11-2010, 14:10   #3
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
From reading your posts, I am guessing you live in Florida?

If so, check out this place. I also understand your insurance might be less than other areas of Florida.

Reynolds Park Yacht Center

Of course, you could always sail the west coast...
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 14:31   #4

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenaz007 View Post
What do livaboard cat owners REALLY do during hurricane season? South America? Watch the weather and run? Ocheechobie (sp?) inland? If I am not more ambitious than the coconut run am I almost forced to be a snowbird? Are marinas going to accept you without valid insurance during that season? Is it enforced? I understand there are significant risks - but maybe I should buy a cheaper boat and not be a slave to the insurance companies?
What liveaboard cat cruisers do is the same as liveaboard mono and trawler cruisers do, which is all of the above.

It really depends on the people on the boat and their willingness to accept the risks involved. For example, in June we spoke to many cruisers in the USVI who run and hide in the mangrove areas of PR. Others stay in areas less likely to be hit such as Grenada. Some cruisers in Grenada have a plan to scoot off to Trinidad if necessary. Last year, we left our Maine Cat on the hard in Trinidad and flew home to visit friends and family. This year, we sailed to the ABC islands.

In general, always make decisions that make sense at the moment and don't put yourself or your boat at risk just to comply with "insurance". Different policies have different language so make sure you read and understand the policy; ask your agent to explain when you are not clear. That way you won't be a "slave" and you can buy a boat that meets your requirements.

Fair Winds,
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 12:22   #5

I know quite a few cat owners who just keep cruising during cyclone season here (Queensland). If a cyclone is coming their way they head for a cyclone hole. Outahia rode out 3 cyclones (one a direct hit category 5) in one season.

We are heading sub tropical, but not everyone does.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 12:37   #6

Livaboard cats in hurricane season?

Possibly a new thread but any suggestion on insurance carriers with what you consider to be the best overall policys for cats?
Thenaz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 16:12   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
From reading your posts, I am guessing you live in Florida?

If so, check out this place. I also understand your insurance might be less than other areas of Florida.

Reynolds Park Yacht Center

Of course, you could always sail the west coast...
Stayed on the boat through 3 canes here. Minimum fetch in from the north, and the boats sits below the docks, or land in the other three. Statistically the safest 15 miles on the American coastline. You can see the windows of the bridgedeck in the photo.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 18:22   #8

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGAO View Post
ask your agent to explain when you are not clear.
Mike
OH YEA.

Like that works. Verbal is worth squat!

Like them telling me electronics deductible is 500.00. It is even on the declarations page. Right there, see? Yep, right there. Sounds good to me!

B farkin' S.

"No sir. You see your electronics were mounted to the dash and not easily removable like on a bracket so your deductible is actually 3750.00, sorry"

B farkin' S.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 08:08   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
Quote:
Possibly a new thread but any suggestion on insurance carriers with what you consider to be the best overall policys for cats?
Insurance carriers do occasionally prefer to cover certain boats (or rather, not to cover certain types of boats), but the thing that usually drives which insurance company is the right one for you is the navigation territory (how far south do they let you go during the hurricane season), the windstorm deductible, coverage options like low tender & electronics deductibles, the ability to take trips farther afield, like into the Caribbean if you want to, survey requirements, payment plans, and yes, the the rate for your specific situation. There are so many variables from one boat to another, it's hard to say just that "company A" is good for catamarans. It's not that simple, nothing ever is!