Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2011, 18:36   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Live aboard - Norway - Suggestions ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankly71 View Post
Forecast is telling us at that we need to prepare for lightwind sailing, but that I dont mind.
Ya! I've crossed the North Sea to Bergen in heavy air, and would have loved a bit of light wind.

Congratulations on the new boat, and on getting her ready.

Fair winds!
Old 28-10-2014, 04:45   #17

Boat: F.P. Lipari 41
Buying a used cat

Hi, is it possible for me to contact you on the phone? I am a Norwegian from Rygge living in Stavanger, and have an FP myself. Have a friend who is interested in a cat type I have heard you have some knowledge about .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Hi Shankly,

Welcome to the forum. We live in Norway and sail an Fountaine Pajot Belize 43 out of Fredrikstad (south east coast).

One of the challenges with a cat is heating during winter. This last one beeing absolutely outrages when climate's concerned.
To make a cat livable during the winter months I believe extra insulation is a must to compensate in the areas not constructed with sandwich. I have insulated underneath the deck areas with a special insulation used on cooling systems, 19mm Armaflex. This prevents condensation in the hull areas.
Additionally I have made "cusions" of bubble wrap in several layers to fight condensation on hatches with aluminium hatch frames.

Heating with Eberspacher as indicated is a good choice, but two instead of three would suffice, we got one in our Belize but ideally should be two.

When it comes to your gally down option I would advise against it, this is a favour of the Australians but not so common i Europe. Lots of discussions of this on the Multihull section of the forum.

Since we've only had FP's, first an Athena 38 and now a Belize I would recommend the Belize 43 Maestro. This has the starboard hull dedicated to the owners with a great head wich can accomodate a washing machine.

In north east US you can find a well equipped Maestro, which are mostly well equipped from their owners as they are nearly always privately owned and never chartered.

If you want to discuss in detail send me a PM and we can get in touch.

Happy lead free sailin
Tootsie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Norway, norway