Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2013, 08:01   #1

Boat: Oyster 46
looking for a day sailer and several weeks camper

I have a dock in the Fabulous Florida Keys. It needs a boat to make it happy. I don't know if I am doing any more ocean crossings. But I have another boat for that. If I do that again someday. Now I am looking for something that I can fool around with by myself or with an inexperienced crew in The Keys, Bahamas and someday Cuba (hopefully legally). I intend to own this boat for three years. My budget is $350,000 or hopefully much less. Easy resale without too much loss is a factor.

I have no need for more than two beds. And I would really like two heads. 40 feet is probably too big and 32 is probably too small. I base that on a wish to have smaller sails, winches and total weight. We are in our young 60's. Something with nice beds and little storage that is fast and nimble would be great for the day sails and several week adventures with 2,3 or 4 people. So far my alleged mind is focused a FP Mahe 36. Which is probably at bit too large for my needs. Thought the wife says it is too small. Comments and suggestions are encouraged.
boatingisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 08:07   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: looking for a day sailer and several weeks camper

Seawinds, I love their open cockpit floor plan.

Seawind boats for sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 26-09-2013, 10:10   #3

You want fast, and why not shoal draft while you're at it you can't do better than the Farrier trimarans...

Having had an F-27 and now a Catana, the F-27 is better for gunkholing the Keys.

For having friends, you'd want to go larger than the F27, something more like the 31 or 33.

these guys used to spend winters in the Keys
http://sailgreyhound.blogspot.com
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 10:31   #4

a 350k daysailor with two beds and two heads?......... this is a troll right? I think a daysailor would have a cuddy cabin to get out of the rainstorm....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 10:55   #5
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Seawinds, I love their open cockpit floor plan. Seawind boats for sale - www.yachtworld.com
You took the words out of my mouth.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 11:29   #6

Boat: Lagoon 400
The Mahe is a good choice. Possibly the Alpha42 but production seems to be running a little slow. Not may cats with only two cabins and two heads. You looking for new or used?
pathlesschosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 11:33   #7

The new lagoon 39 has a 2 cabin version (basically two owners hulls):

Old 26-09-2013, 13:08   #8

Boat: Boatless

tamicatana has it almost right...I had a F31 which was a great boat in the Keys and Bahamas. More room than the F27 and we did over 6,000 nm in her in 4 yrs. And when the hurricanes come you can put her on a trailer

I one did the bar in the Big Game Club in Bimini to the bar at Coconut Grove Sailing Club in 4 hrs 20 mins with two reefs in the main!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 14:34   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Yes and Yes. Seawind 1000XL2 new is in your price range. Corsair Cruze, (9.7metres) is well within it, both are production boats with a good history of resale. The new Cruze is quite a bit larger inside than the old 31s as well.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 16:27   #10

First thank you for the posts. I am somewhat hurt by the Troll reference and not sure why that person is being mean. But that is up to them. I have been looking at smaller catamarans and reading about them for two years. I am going to make a purchase in the next several months, or sooner. I see no reason not to ask around and see if somebody has some helpful information.

I will restate my goal using new words. Perhaps this will help. I am looking for a smallish catamaran that will allow us and another couple to enjoy a few weeks of bumming around in the Bahamas. I want two nice beds and heads. I also will do a few day sails with 4 to 8 people in The Fabulous Florida Keys of from our dock. I will own the boat for three years. The total cost of ownership is more important to me than the initial cost. Meaning after I sell it. What did it cost me to own it.

I really appreciate the information on the Lagoon 39. I did not know that it was available with two owners style hulls. I will look into that more. I really like the idea of our guests having as nice of accommodations as ourselves. Which is why the Mahe 36 Duo is my favorite. But remember the wife said she wanted larger. It may be as simple as talking her out of that. I don't think she really understands how much larger a 39 foot cat is than a 36 foot cat. She has been inside many boats. But somehow does not extend those experiences to the efforts involved in moving a true blue water cruiser. I want as small as I can get away with. And still have two extremely comfortable beds and heads. And it must be fun to sail also. I also own a blue water boat. I want this other boat to be for a different purpose. After three years I will sell both boats and replace them with something to be determined. Is the Mahe 36 the only smaller cat with two equal hulls?

As for the trimarans, we really enjoy the view from inside a catamaran. And I want two nice heads and beds. Not to mention being able to keep watch indoors out of the sun and wind is important to us. I have been sailing many years and am not wishing to become and old salt.

That being said, I wish my wife liked trimarans. I may get a small one just for myself. But what I have in mind for afternoon sails and extended overnighters is not quite that spartan. However, I do appreciate the idea being offered. I appreciate the out of the box attitude. And a trimaran is the perfect boat for The Fabulous Florida Keys.

The Seawind 1000XL seems to be the most common those brand of boat in my price range. The ones with the folding wall are really cool. But beyond my budget or have been to far away to view. (If I remember correctly.) Regardless, I need some way to keep our two cats inside. So, I need a door to close them inside. Thus the 1000XL is bad for the two cats. I did see some Seawinds that would work for sale in California and now one in Australia. I had some health issues last year that precluded and now has robbed me of the time required for such far afield shopping. These days I need to confine myself to the Eastern half of the US and begrudgingly the Caribbean. However, I have added the Seawind to my watch list because they sail so well. Though they do not meet the two nice beds and heads criteria. As we all know all boats are a compromise. But I doubt the wife will compromise on the accommodations. But if a Seawind becomes available. We will look into it. Thank You.

I have found many thoughts in this forum and otherwise of live aboard boats. There is no shortage of discussion on live aboard options. However, my goal is afternoon sails with a small group and also a several week annual cruise with another couple in a compact, fun to sail catamaran. Preferably with two nice heads and two nice beds. But I am repeating myself. I do not need lots of storage or beds. Just a fun boat for joy riding.
Old 26-09-2013, 16:46   #11

Sorry. I didnt mean to mean. But we do get some "trolls" on here. Somehow a boat as you mentioned doesnt fit the term daysailor... maybe it's me. Why does one need "beds" in a daysailor?
How about the beautiful Alerion Express 41?
http://www.alerionexp.com/alerion_41.html

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 17:04   #12

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

I would think the Total Cost will be dominated by the resale value after 3 years.
It is simple math the smaller the initial cost, the smaller the possible loss,
makes the 37 look good.

A see a Lagoon 41 in FL for $235k, and a Lagoon 38 for $200k in SC, and Lagoon 37 in FL for $140k.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:14   #13

Cheechako, I was asking for one boat to both daysail and overnight in the Bahamas with two couples for several weeks. I assume 3 or 4 daysails per month and one or two overnight trips per year. The compromise would be that the daysailer would be a huge compromise as as you say. The inside accommodations are useless.

This is similar to having a station wagon and using it as a sports car. I really should have two boats then. One a trimaran for daysails and also 40 foot plus cat for cruising. Or just charter the larger boat and carry my tooth brush. Though having one's own boat on the dock is much more satisfying.

I think the Mahe 36 is a reasonable compromise for both daysailing and overnighting. But the wife thinks bigger is better. I need to convince her otherwise. Or find a larger boat with two equal hulls having great beds and heads. And then be less happy daysailing. I want a light boat and have no need for much spares or storage as there will be no extended cruising. (I have a bluewater monohull for that.)

My guess is that the Mahe is what I should be focusing on for purchase. I am just asking for any alternatives that I may have missed. The resource of knowledge found in this forum is too valuable to ignore.

Thank you for your input. And I can see where asking about an expensive daysailer would set off alarm bells. However, in my case the use is also for limited cruising. The Mahe 36 with two equal owners style hulls is perhaps unique? It was suggested that Lagoon made a 39 with the same two beds and heads arrangements. I have not found one. Not to mention the initial cost is significantly more than the Mahe.

I should also mention that my boat lift would need to be modified for more than a 21 foot wide boat. Not the end of the world for expense. But perhaps a needless one. In summary unless somebody has a better idea. I assume a Mahe will be the boat.

Tags
sail