Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2017, 06:38   #1

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Looking for a non expensive place to store an 11m cat west of Gijon in Northern Spain

Hey,

while taking a break from the cruising life this year to set up my business, I want to spend a bit of time on the water next year. August 2018 we will head over Biscay into Northern Spain.

I'm looking to find a non expensive storage for the winter 2018/2019 over there.

Its early days I know.
Somewhere west of Gijon on the North shore, preferably and not more expensive than about 1800€ a year.
Currently that's about what I am paying in France onshore in a fenced compound.

The boat is registered in Germany. Are there still pitfalls regarding taxes in Spain? Is Portugal a better choice?
I will be only onboard for few weeks.

The boat is 10.6m x 6m approx.

Thanks for all thoughts an suggestions,

Fran
Old 17-09-2017, 07:30   #2

Boat: Lagoon 450f
Re: Looking for a non expensive place to store an 11m cat west of Gijon in Northern S

Fran

We did the trip, from Falmouth to the Algarve last year.
Spanish marinas are similarly priced to French, perhaps slightly higher. We found the Ships Registration and Insurance Docs were the only paperwork that we were asked for in Spain.

You will find it less expensive in the Algarve, by some margin - especially if you head to Portimao who are very reasonably priced.

If I were leaving the boat in the water on the norther coast I would use either Santander or Loredo to avoid the swells that would keep my mind at rest for the times that I was not present ... if that makes sense, most of the marinas on that coast are susceptible to pretty large swell.

Re paperwork - we were nabbed by Portuguese customs in Faro and had to produce builders very and vat invoice but it was not problem and no levy to pay.

Not sure if any of this helps but succinctly, I’d head to Portugal where it’s cheaper and access is easy to Faro Airport.

Best regards

Nigel
slimnrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 08:23   #3

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Re: Looking for a non expensive place to store an 11m cat west of Gijon in Northern S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
The boat is registered in Germany. Are there still pitfalls regarding taxes in Spain? Is Portugal a better choice?
Not aware of any tax pitfalls for Germans as long as you have proof of VAT status and don't stay in Spain for >180 days per year.

I don't think that the 180 days rule is enforceable if you move around, as they don't have any records on your whereabouts.
Only if you are a liveaboard staying in one marina for many months, this could become visible to authorities and trigger an expensive visit.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 11:04   #4

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
Not aware of any tax pitfalls for Germans as long as you have proof of VAT status and don't stay in Spain for >180 days per year.

I don't think that the 180 days rule is enforceable if you move around, as they don't have any records on your whereabouts.
O
I have to disagree here as I was told by the marina in Cartagena back in 2013 that all Spanish marinas are linked to a central computer and have to input all the arrival information. So the approx. +180 days limit is being checked by the Spanish.
Old 17-09-2017, 11:09   #5

Francisca,

Try the Club Nautico Portosin, when I was there I found their pricing quite reasonable.
Old 17-09-2017, 11:11   #6

Francisca,

A bit further southwest than the Spanish north coast on the Bay of Biscay but try the Club Nautico Portosin, when I was there I found their pricing quite reasonable. Very sheltered and secure.
Old 18-09-2017, 12:37   #7

Boat: Bavaria 40

I have several friends who have wintered in Viveiro and really liked it. There is no heavy industry around that will leave a thick coat of crud on your boat; the marina staff are terrific; and, I asked for a haul-out quote this summer, and it was well less than 50% of what I would have paid in France. Don't know about the taxes.

They have a secured haul-out area with boats of all sizes.

Regards
Corsair 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 00:31   #8

Hey great info so far, thanks so much.
Keep it coming, especially north coast around Gijon.

Franziska
Old 19-09-2017, 20:20   #9

Viveiro looks like a good plan. Will get in touch with them.

Tags
Spain