Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2021, 06:02   #1

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Looking for cat surveyor in Nassau/Bahamas/cat from DreamYachtCharter Guadelope

Hi everyone,

I precontracted a FP Mahe 36 Evolution in Nassau/Bahamas and I am looking for a reliable surveyor to do the survey.
Does any of you have experience with one or know a good&reliable one?
As i cannot get there due to covid travel restrictions i have to rely on him.

Cat is from DreamYachtCHarter in Guadelope but transfered to Nassau due to Guadelope is closed. Anyone knows how well they maintain their boats and what to watch out?

Thank you.
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:04   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Looking for cat surveyor in Nassau/Bahamas/cat from DreamYachtCharter Guadelope

Fly a good surveyor in from Ft. Lauderdale!! OR have the boat move to FLL for survey and sea trial (might be easier).
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:25   #3

Re: Looking for cat surveyor in Nassau/Bahamas/cat from DreamYachtCharter Guadelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Fly a good surveyor in from Ft. Lauderdale!! OR have the boat move to FLL for survey and sea trial (might be easier).
cannot move the boat. Do you have a good surveyor form Ft. Lauderdale I could contact?
Old 05-02-2021, 08:07   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
cannot move the boat. Do you have a good surveyor form Ft. Lauderdale I could contact?

I have delivered a boat done by https://www.sandsmsc.com. And did not have any “how the hell did they miss that!” issues.

And for a boat delivery guy- that is high praise.

If you need her moved—- I know a guy [emoji41]
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:09   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
I have delivered a boat done by https://www.sandsmsc.com. And did not have any “how the hell did they miss that!” issues.

And for a boat delivery guy- that is high praise.

If you need her moved—- I know a guy [emoji41]

thank you, contacted him and you via your homepage.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:19   #6

Boat: Knysna 480

Surveyors from Florida are not allowed, by the Bahamians, to work in the Bahamas.
Some did it...at risk with the Bahamian authorities. Now I doubt anyone will go over, due to Covid.
I ‘purchased’ a power cat in Nassau. Owner agreed that we could bring it back to Florida together for survey. I had a two day sea trial...and then it failed survey.
Sailingveterinarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:13   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423

You might ask the owner of Cruise Abacos - Mark Gonsalves, in Marsh Harbor. He has been down there for quite a while. We chartered from them and then he helped us out with connections for boat repairs when we had our own boat. I expect after Dorian he knows of a few surveyors.

cruiseabaco@gmail.com
321-47304223

Harry

hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:18   #8

My most recent charter was through DYC. My previous two were through their new partner Navtours. Granted the whole industry is in a sh--storm reeling from COVID,....and they had just moved the fleet to Key West,... AND were dealing with Hurricane ETA so a lot was going on during our charter. That being said my experience checking in and out was not what it had been with Navtours. No clipboard check-in. Lacked thoroughness and we almost had to plead with them to charge us for the things we had broke. ( crew member fell through and broke a hatch during Eta)-injured his ego. Maybe they felt they could fix things themselves. Will I lease from them again. Yes. No problems with their admin and he boat was very nice. I still work with a wonderful rep. that came over from navtours. Eliane and Elizabeth are great. Would I buy a boat and put it in their fleet...probably not. Would I buy a boat from their fleet (get a REALLY good surveyor). Maybe some of the environment that I experienced with Navtours will pass over. I learned through Navtours a lost dinghy oar is $83 ..lol
docwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 14:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwood View Post
My most recent charter was through DYC. My previous two were through their new partner Navtours. Granted the whole industry is in a sh--storm reeling from COVID,....and they had just moved the fleet to Key West,... AND were dealing with Hurricane ETA so a lot was going on during our charter. That being said my experience checking in and out was not what it had been with Navtours. No clipboard check-in. Lacked thoroughness and we almost had to plead with them to charge us for the things we had broke. ( crew member fell through and broke a hatch during Eta)-injured his ego. Maybe they felt they could fix things themselves. Will I lease from them again. Yes. No problems with their admin and he boat was very nice. I still work with a wonderful rep. that came over from navtours. Eliane and Elizabeth are great. Would I buy a boat and put it in their fleet...probably not. Would I buy a boat from their fleet (get a REALLY good surveyor). Maybe some of the environment that I experienced with Navtours will pass over. I learned through Navtours a lost dinghy oar is $83 ..lol

Thank you. And yes I am looking for a very good surveyor. Deal is great a 2014 Mahe evolution for 130k, market here in Europe is around 200k for them. Thats why i am very cautious, i know they are in trouble as local accounts are suspended and cash asked for parts and repairs done.
Old 05-02-2021, 15:53   #10

Good luck I hope your purchase goes okay. We purchased 3 vouchers at a 50% discount to sail this coming year with DYC. We can pick the time and the date with availability. I wish these companies all luck in the world during this time. I am 3 years minimum from buying a boat and this is my way of sailing. The new restrictions on the US return isanother huge kick in the groin to all the Caribbean islands. I admin a Jamaica FB page and people were just getting up the bravery to travel again, but not being guaranteed you can return to the USA has people baling on plans again.
docwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:37   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwood View Post
... The new restrictions on the US return isanother huge kick in the groin to all the Caribbean islands. I admin a Jamaica FB page and people were just getting up the bravery to travel again, but not being guaranteed you can return to the USA has people baling on plans again.
Canada's Caribbean flight ban expected to cost Jamaica up to $449M, minister says
“... The decision to cancel all flights to the Caribbean until April 30, announced by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau last week, caught many in Jamaica's tourism industry off-guard. Jamaica's government, along with industry and private partners, had just completed a mad rush to provide a new testing and quarantine system to accommodate North American requirements that visitors return with negative COVID-19 results...
... Jamaica's tourism industry lost $508 million US last year because of the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. Tourism and related industries contribute to 34 per cent of the country's gross domestic product and employ 20 per cent of its workforce...”

Morehttps://www.cbc.ca/news/world/canada...acia-1.5901495

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:06   #12

Thanks for all the news. Seams like all charter companies in Caribbean are in deep sh.... And the owners of boats in charterprograms like DYC too...
Old 12-02-2021, 13:24   #13

Boat: Compac 27, 1987 on the Banana River, Florida

Hi Docwood,
we are looking at DY in Key West for April of this year, looking at the Bali and the Dufour mono, how clean and well maintained did the boats appear? We are hiring a skipper, did you bareboat? Wondering where you were able to travel in the week, maybe not a great week if you were avoiding Eta, looking for any tips or thoughts that may help us before we book. It looks like the price will be around $1,000+ per night not including the skipper. Take care, Kevin
Kebs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 16:16   #14

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Looks like things didn't go well for CapnR. It's a shame, I was rootin for him.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...232097-18.html
Old 12-02-2021, 18:05   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Looks like things didn't go well for CapnR. It's a shame, I was rootin for him.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...232097-18.html

Things went well, from the first contact with the arrogant broker from DYC everything felt wrong and my gut told me to stay away. But deal and price of a 2014 Mahe was worth continuing, maybe just someone needed quick money or big things are wrong (and they were)...
Found a great surveyor who had a 1,5h pre survey on the Mahe and discovered even worth then I expected. He perfectly done his job and the 300$ I paid were very well invested.

One thing are the damages on the boat but DYC criminal behaviour with parting out boats for sale and safe this way on maintenance is beyond any I would deal with...
If anyone needs a good surveyor in the Bahamas shout me a PN, happy tp share his contact details, take guts and honesty to report that.

Had in parallel another Mahe and that worked out very well, precontracted and pending final survey. here I am not worried at all about the survey. everything fits from broker contact, provided documentation, equipment lists, pictures, described usage (very light for 7years from 1st owner) originsl 400h on the first engines, well documented and proofable, got even a copy of the logbook).

Tags
charter, Bahamas, survey, yacht, nassau, surveyor