Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2017, 03:35   #1

Boat: 2019 Leopard 45
Looking for information on Knysna Yachts

Hey all,

We are in the market for a new build and have just returned from the Miami Strictly Sail show where we took a look at the Knysna for the first time. While I think that we really lean towards the St Francis, it's good to always have an alternative. The biggest concern with the Knysna was the exposed helm and difficulty getting to the front of the boat from the starboard side. Fit and finish was impeccable.

I figured that I would just peruse the internet and find a few videos on how people are using them, a few in depth reviews on sailing sites, or at least a few mentions on CF in a search. What I actuallyfound was pretty much nothing.

That said, now I would like to tap the collective knowledge of the folks of CF to see what you've got, other than their corporate website. I must imagine that with 84ish boats on the water that someone, anyone, has something to say about them.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:03   #2

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Re: Looking for information on Knysna Yachts

I was in Knysna for a couple of months 5 or 6 years back. They, Knysna boats, were doing the final fit out of a couple of new 48s in the marina at the time. Spent some time talking to the people and their work seemed pretty good. Never actually sailed on one but you may not find many who have so thought I'd post my very limited bit of info!

TMM charters in the BVI had/have one soo you may find a charterer who can give you some info.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 14:19   #3

We own a Knysna 500 since 2012 with which we have been sailing in Souther African waters and the Carribean fulltime since then.

For our purposes, namely lifeaboard while cruising in the Carribean, the Knysna is the ideal sailing vessel for us. A comfortable, spacious and attractive boat. Regularly we are complimented by fellow sailors with words "finally a goodlooking catamaran" or similar.

I am surprised that you feel the helmstation to be exposed. Although it may not be quite as protected as with the St Francis, we actually prefer not to be behind screens which often blind you or provide limited visibilty when old, dirty or scratched. Although the helmstation does come with roll down canvas for protection against rain and wind, we have hardly ever used these, not even whilst cruising in the Indian Ocean from SA to Mauritius and back. We feel quite protected in the helmstation, especially when compared against other catamarans. I have also never had an issue with access to the starboard side, even though I have been sailing and docking the Knysna for a considerable period.

I trust that this helps.

Heiko
Heiko N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 18:00   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiko N View Post
We own a Knysna 500 since 2012 with which we have been sailing in Souther African waters and the Carribean fulltime since then.

For our purposes, namely lifeaboard while cruising in the Carribean, the Knysna is the ideal sailing vessel for us. A comfortable, spacious and attractive boat. Regularly we are complimented by fellow sailors with words "finally a goodlooking catamaran" or similar.

I am surprised that you feel the helmstation to be exposed. Although it may not be quite as protected as with the St Francis, we actually prefer not to be behind screens which often blind you or provide limited visibilty when old, dirty or scratched. Although the helmstation does come with roll down canvas for protection against rain and wind, we have hardly ever used these, not even whilst cruising in the Indian Ocean from SA to Mauritius and back. We feel quite protected in the helmstation, especially when compared against other catamarans. I have also never had an issue with access to the starboard side, even though I have been sailing and docking the Knysna for a considerable period.

I trust that this helps.

Heiko

Thank you for replying, Heiko. Every opinion helps, but certainly one more experienced as yours.

When we speak of an exposed helm I think it is because we are inexperienced and my wife would like to remain warm and dry as long as possible in a gale. I don't blame her. Your view is welcome and I am going to show her your post tonight to let her take it in. I hope we can talk in the future about further questions.
Old 15-03-2017, 03:05   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawbonz View Post
Hey all,

We are in the market for a new build and have just returned from the Miami Strictly Sail show where we took a look at the Knysna for the first time. While I think that we really lean towards the St Francis, it's good to always have an alternative. The biggest concern with the Knysna was the exposed helm and difficulty getting to the front of the boat from the starboard side. Fit and finish was impeccable.

I figured that I would just peruse the internet and find a few videos on how people are using them, a few in depth reviews on sailing sites, or at least a few mentions on CF in a search. What I actuallyfound was pretty much nothing.

That said, now I would like to tap the collective knowledge of the folks of CF to see what you've got, other than their corporate website. I must imagine that with 84ish boats on the water that someone, anyone, has something to say about them.
Hi
We have a Knysna 500SE 4berth and was in the same position as you between the Knysna and St Francis.
I am extremely happy with my choice as the reasons for going Knysna have paid off especially their after sales service which is 5 star. We have done a few long trips some in bad weather and with the spray dodger around the helm we were very comfortable as far as your other concern there is more than enough room on the starboard side to get to the front, we don't understand your concern.
We would be happy to discuss further by email should you wish.
Regards
Myles
Myles
mylesbaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 14:21   #6

Boat: Aloha 34

So, slight aside... Knysna, St. Francis or Voyage. Who has the better build quality?
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 14:57   #7

Any issues with bridge deck clearance?.... Beautiful yachts
Old 15-03-2017, 20:24   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
So, slight aside... Knysna, St. Francis or Voyage. Who has the better build quality?

I'm also interested in other' opinions on this. I think that Voyage just looked lower end, but it's been some time since I saw it in Annapolis. Myles' comment on after sales service strikes a cord with me though. St Francis has so far increased their quote 15% since the Miami show three weeks ago and a call to their salesman has never been returned.
Old 16-03-2017, 09:33   #9

Quote:
I'm also interested in other' opinions on this. I think that Voyage just looked lower end, but it's been some time since I saw it in Annapolis. Myles' comment on after sales service strikes a cord with me though. St Francis has so far increased their quote 15% since the Miami show three weeks ago and a call to their salesman has never been returned.
I emailed Duncan Lethbridge directly and he has been good at returning my emails. Perhaps that might be your best option to contact St. Francis Marine.
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 19:23   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyman1122 View Post
I emailed Duncan Lethbridge directly and he has been good at returning my emails. Perhaps that might be your best option to contact St. Francis Marine.

I did hear from him via his assistant but the price increase came from out of nowhere and in addition to being dishonorable prices him out of the market, imho.
Old 18-03-2017, 01:27   #11

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
I did hear from him via his assistant but the price increase came from out of nowhere and in addition to being dishonorable prices him out of the market, imho.
The South African Rand has, for reasons I don't know, been really strong against the USD this year. That may account a good deal for the change in price.

It's one of the difficulties of buying a boat built in a different currency region.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 02:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
The South African Rand has, for reasons I don't know, been really strong against the USD this year. That may account a good deal for the change in price.

It's one of the difficulties of buying a boat built in a different currency region.

I would understand that IF other builders' boat prices fluctuated also (though 15% is more than just fluctuation), but even then a quote is a quote. The exchange rate didn't change that much in two weeks.

I don't wish to disparage St Francis so I won't comment past this point. They build a nice boat and it's possible I may end up with one some day.
Old 01-04-2017, 23:01   #13

Boat: Knysna 500SE

I am commissioning ToyBOX,my new Knysna 500se these days. I have ordered this boat after opting for a semi custom boat which enabled me to incorporate some of my specific preferences. I have actually found knysna yachts while going for the st. Francis 50. During that time I have visited many other SA factories and was amazed by the vibrant boat building industry and craftsmanship in this country. The choice decision was made based on my project success expectancy evaluation and MY personal quality assessment. Till now I am happy with the result and the direct communication with the builder which presents great client attitude.
As for the exposed helm station I find it a non issue. When all is good your wife can drive the boat from her mobile in the gulley. At some point you must be outside and have uninterrupted views and access. the helm station of the knysna offers that.
P.S . When the ZAR goes high the boat price should go down. I too managed to get the st Francis price changed 3 times within 2 weeks from the official quote before I cam to the factory till I left it. I would d fine it as project risk.
udyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:28   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by udyy View Post
I am commissioning ToyBOX,my new Knysna 500se these days. I have ordered this boat after opting for a semi custom boat which enabled me to incorporate some of my specific preferences. I have actually found knysna yachts while going for the st. Francis 50. During that time I have visited many other SA factories and was amazed by the vibrant boat building industry and craftsmanship in this country. The choice decision was made based on my project success expectancy evaluation and MY personal quality assessment. Till now I am happy with the result and the direct communication with the builder which presents great client attitude.

As for the exposed helm station I find it a non issue. When all is good your wife can drive the boat from her mobile in the gulley. At some point you must be outside and have uninterrupted views and access. the helm station of the knysna offers that.

P.S . When the ZAR goes high the boat price should go down. I too managed to get the st Francis price changed 3 times within 2 weeks from the official quote before I cam to the factory till I left it. I would d fine it as project risk.

Thanks for your input. I hope we get to see your boat on the water sometime.
Old 09-10-2017, 00:56   #15

Boat: Nautitech 442, 44 ft

Hello all,
I am considering purchase of a Knysna 44, good looking and well equipped. Sure she is a perfect cat for cruising between islands, but I wonder how these boats perform under sails in blue water : speed, upwind angle, pitching, slamming...
Feedback from owners appreciated ! Thank you.

Tags
yacht