Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2021, 19:04   #31

Re: Lost Cat! Small Pocket Cruiser Catamarans

Girnybairn I maybe don’t envy your Mesina passage I checked out the FisherCat, a stout little boat and I bet you’ve got a plethora of tales with her. She’s not our “lost cat” either, but someday I’d enjoy a chat about harbors on the Italian side of the Aegean.
OhioDreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 19:14   #32

Tupaia I’ve read a bit about the Gougean Brothers and I’m a fan of their innovative designs. I don’t know that I would be very successful modifying one like G-Wiz.
Old 05-05-2021, 19:21   #33

Gadagirl tbh the SmartCat was included on my OP by mistake. Due to the beam width it didn’t quite meet the criteria. That said, I liked the open deck version a good bit and I’m a fan of the b/l ratio on it. My better half is adamant about crossing from hull to hull in relative comfort regardless of weather however and the cabined version looked like a wedding cake.
Old 05-05-2021, 19:36   #34

Hi Cpt Mark. The IS Packet Cats recently crossed my radar and should have been on my OP list. I think of that 1/3 hull wave splitter as a trimaran’s step cousin and appreciate that the increased functionality is both performance and comfort. I like the looks of them a more than the Geminis and appreciate you reminding me about them. I don’t recall seeing many of them listed on the east coast but I haven’t made a thorough search yet.
Old 05-05-2021, 19:48   #35

Hey thinwater, I hear you on all points and appreciate you keeping it real. Our first goal is the Great Lakes and maybe the American loop before setting our sites across the pond. Comfort somewhat outweighs performance for us, and frankly my other half is less keen on a bluewater passage than I, so our (most current/perhaps/likely) course of action would be to load her up on a yacht taxi and meet her in the English Channel somewhere. There’s plenty of time to make that decision though!
Old 06-05-2021, 08:17   #36

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	237838

Here is my short list. It appears that we are looking for similar vessels. Unfortunately, the ones I like the best are the hardest to find!
malabarmcgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:53   #37

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoimene View Post
I wish you find your lost cat! Very interested in one with similar specs.

I was looking at https://www.catnano.com/en/catamarans/9-9/
Oh man, that is an awesome cat! Not a lot of locker space but would fit the bill for coastal and the odd bluewater excursion.

I wonder what the BDC is?

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 13:19   #38

Boat: Gypsy 28 extended to 37

Be careful getting a catamaran with a narrower beam as it will not do well in ocean crossings. Also, we note that the Adventura and the Gemini catamarans do not have good clearance--again really not good for offshore sailing.
Lightwave99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 13:53   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightwave99 View Post
Be careful getting a catamaran with a narrower beam as it will not do well in ocean crossings. Also, we note that the Adventura and the Gemini catamarans do not have good clearance--again really not good for offshore sailing.
The low bridge deck on narrow cats isn't usually an issue on the open ocean (you can argue if the Gemini is blue water but that's a separate subject).

The required bridge deck height is actually a function of bridge deck width (inside hull to inside hull).

On a 25ft beam cat, you literally straddle the wave top and need a lot of height to keep the bridge deck clear of the wave top.

Since the bridge deck is relatively narrow on a Gemini, you generally don't need a lot of height as you sit on top rather than astride wave tops.

Where we got slamming was on shallow bays where you got a short steep chop. Go straight into a 2-4ft short chop and it would get annoying (angle off a bit and it tends to ease up). Out on big swells, the whole boat tends to ride up and over the waves and it's not much of an issue. Of course, it's an annoyance more than anything.

For a 34ft boat, the ocean crossings I've heard of, it's as good or better comfort wise than most 34ft monos. The only issues I've heard of is one had a davit weld break when they left the dingy on the davits. Now if you are going to compare it to the comfort of a 45ft cat, of course the 45ft cat is likely more comfortable on passage.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 14:32   #40
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

The less width between the hulls means the bow waves converge farther forward on the bridgedeck which can be a problem.
I’ve never heard anyone say they wished they had less clearance but I can guarantee their are many that would like more.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 00:11   #41

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

"...settling Italy."
Do not forget EU-import procedures. As European citizen, I read you are dual, but this is more of a problem here, you are not entitled for the 6 month visitors grace period. As EU citizen your property must have tax exemption (transfer of household) or tax paid. I am not a tax accountant but an EU boat owner with a yacht homebuilt in Far East, hence observing.

VAT and import duty is due upon arrival in EU waters, not where you want to stay once. GB is not an EU member any more. There are special regulations for household transfers, but read the regulations for how long you must own the vessel before importing it.

For registration in EU it must either carry a CE-certificate (issued by the manufacturer) or you must proof you built it yourself. There are companies issuing CE certificates if the manufacturer can't, but ask for their quotation before you arrive. This is much more work compared with a survey. The engines need their own certificate that they comply with the current pollution regulation.

IMHO, easier torent a boat for the US rivers & canals and rent or buy one in EU if you want to live here. Taxes and duties are computed from the ships value at the day of importation, hence a survey is due.

Just a few points to consider, if you did already, ignore my writing. Good luck with your project!
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 03:52   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
The less width between the hulls means the bow waves converge farther forward on the bridgedeck which can be a problem.
I’ve never heard anyone say they wished they had less clearance but I can guarantee their are many that would like more.
Never had an issue with bow waves converging and hitting the bridge deck.

I also never heard anyone say they didn't want a longer boat. Lots of things are nice but come with other complications.

I was referring to the comment about off shore sailing...off shore, a short steep chop is not nearly as common as in shallow coastal situations.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, cruise, cruiser, lost, pocket cruiser