Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2024, 10:32   #1

Lost the drain pipe to my shower in the hull....

I have a Bali 4.1, and I was cleaning the master shower and getting all my lovely girlfriend's hair out of the drain. I had unscrewed the cap on the top and was cleaning and I guess I applied a little to much pressure and the bottom (the part that attaches to the drain pipe and goes to the pump) and it fell into the bilge.

Upon further inspection, that area is completely surrounded by bulkheads and no means to get in. My plan is to get a "grabber" to hopefully get ahold of it and pull it up, but if I can't do that - I think my only alternate is to put a larger hold beside with a hole saw and access it that way.

That entire area is covered by a 1ft x 2ft plastic blank, so it won't be visible when I'm done.

Any input on this would be GREATLY appreciated.
TheSailingBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2024, 12:02   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Lost the drain pipe to my shower in the hull....

I really should replace the 35 year old original shower discharge pipe, but having looked at it feared ending up in your position. At least ours will drain into the bilge if there is a leak. Another hole in the shower tray is asking for leaks down the line.

Is there another location you could cut a sensible sized hole and fit a small inspection hatch to make it look intentional? Its one area you ought to check occasionally in case there is a leak from the shower tray or drain.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2024, 15:26   #3

generic "inspection cameras" that hook to an android phone/tablet (or bluetooth) only cost like $10 online these days , I've found many uses for one since I picked it up in a similar 'emergency'..

I'd attempt to get the hose where you can see it through the hole, maybe you can go fishing around by feel with a with a stick, then long locking clamp pliers "forceps" "hemostat" would likely be my tool of choice, 12-14" (common) or even in a deeper bilge- larger (not as common but out there) upto say -24"

per your original idea there might be an automotive mechanics telescopic grabber of some sort - that could fit as well I suppose

Another option to think about is (if you can gain access to the other end somehow) snake the hose out, feed a wire , then pull the hose back with the wire/string
purvisgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2024, 17:21   #4

Boat: Custom 28' Power Catamaran

Buy some gorilla tape. Rip off a piece and roll it into a tube, sticky side out. Get a piece of wood and either screw the tape to it or just stick it. Stick the tube/wood down the hole and press in random spots. The gorilla tape is sticky enough (usually) to pick up something and bring it back up….at least I have done this several times in my boat ownership and it worked each time….
massnspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2024, 04:52   #5

Boat: 2018 Bali 4.1, 1987 Hunter 34, 2005 Seafox 21'

I feel your pain cause the same issued happened in my case. Spent the next three hours trying to fish the hose and the rubber drain back into position...that's part one. Part two consists of manipulating the rubber cup and hose into position and then use the one screw without dropping it back to oblivion. Go easy on the coffee and red bull. It's our version of brain surgery.

After getting the hose drain composite back into position, you have to keep it there while dealing with natural pull that the drain hose has on the rubber cup. Eventually, I was able to counter that force with a piece of thin string tied to the hose. After manipulating the string/hose/cup into place, you are able to get the one opportunity to screw the top screen to the drain cup (keep a pencil magnetic handy). Once you successfully have a few turns in, cut the string and securely fasten/seal the rubber cup. Then it's time for a few beers to celebrate our successful operation
LAGERTHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2024, 13:44   #6

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I don’t think you need to cut a hole if you can get something into the pipe and expand it to get a purchase on the inside of pipe than pull it up into position and secure. A pipe brush might work especially if there is a turn on the pipe.
I have ad a similar experience with access in a support wall in the bilge, being a neurotic cleaner I cut a hole large enough to get my hand in there and another hole to view what I am doing and doubled the thickness of the surface I cut a hole into.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2024, 07:28   #7

Thanks for the input guys - I just joined the group and didn't have notifications on...

I managed to grab it with a "Grabber" device on a flexible cord and do what others said - wedged something in the pipe to get enough leverage to put it into place, and then by the luck of I don't know what - managed to put the cap on and the thread caught on the first go. My girlfriend didn't understand why I was so ecstatic that this all happened in a matter of 10 minutes....
TheSailingBeard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, lost, shower