Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2020, 14:29   #16

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version
Re: Lots of Hurricane boats hitting the market

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlem24 View Post
But if you look at the costs, parley did not come out well. They paid 250k for the boat and it was heavily damaged. Time and money spend we’re not worth the hassle. But they did a great job.
Time- you are correct. At my age I would not want to spend that kinda time on a project boat.

Money- they came out far ahead.
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 15:14   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I think it’s better to find a boat someone put a lot into to fix up and then “something” happened.

PO bought our boat for $65k, I found $60k in receipts for work done, we bought it $93k.

That sounds like a better deal. I’ve still put $manyk into it and untold hours. Some was needed, some desired. A new house sprit can be a big job. Fixing the muffler was unbelievable stupid expensive. Took me a looong time to figure that one out.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 15:29   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

The story about bad brokers is a likely story imho.

Brokers are NOT dealers. They do not get the best deals for themselves.

Any deal is the best deal for the broker, also a crap shot boat, while they can match a buyer with the seller.

Someone assumes brokers are loaded with excess cash or something? Wake up. They are strapped, as much as you are or me.

Also think about people in the Virgins. Do you truly think they sleep on cash? Richard does, but he does not deal in written off cats. Btw, he is strapped too, if you read recent news.

Btw the boat looks like a write off. Does not mean it has zero value to somebody else.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 11:34   #19

Storm damaged boats carry a stigma. They will always sell for less even after they are repaired.
If your time is worth anything, Run away.
My only exception would be a boat that suffered no fiberglass damage...unlikely

Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 10:18   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...10-s2-3218246/

Also once a boat is demasted in a storm is it ever really as good as one that wasn't?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/201...rd-44-3672583/[/QUOTE]

All depends on what damage was caused by the de-masting. Often it's the easiest thing to fix, and nothing else is compromised.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 13:13   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
After counting the cost of the boat and the cost of the repairs and upgrades we could have bought a boat in better shape and gone sailing almost immediately.
To me, the key is right here. If you want a PROJECT, then buy a project boat. If you want to get out sailing, then buy a boat that is ready to sail.

Some people like projects, enjoy working on them, and don't mind if it is two or three years before their boat is ready to sail. These are the people who should buy project boats.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2020, 07:10   #22

When watching Parley what kinda stardeled me, was the fact that Lagoon is using balsa core on the hulls below the waterline. And the damage that sustained during the hurricane and the following year after they fixed it in the BVI...
harlem24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 19:04   #23

Thumbs down Re: Lots of Hurricane boats hitting the market

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlem24 View Post
Lagoon is using balsa core on the hulls below the waterline. And the damage that sustained during the hurricane and the following year after they fixed it in the BVI...

I looked at Irma damaged Leopards. The balsa was also below the water line. I looked at boats that were never submerged, yet, when damaged was opened, the cores were full of water. The water would get in through cracks when it rained. They would chase the water/rot, just like you saw with Parlay. The folks I saw doing the repairs were just unskilled labor. Someone with experience would show up ever so often to check on the progress.

There were people in the yard that had bought boats and were living onboard and doing the repairs themselves along with contracting out the work. Some were there more than a year.
I looked at that and knew I wanted to sail, not invest a year or more of my life rebuilding a wreck. I got on the plane and ever looked back.
Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 23:48   #24

Yeah Colin and the Parlay crew spend all in all 10 month fixing the boat.
5 in the BVIs to get going and then 5 months in the boat yard in Guatemala to do things right.
If you have the time and the skills to do it yourself, may be worth looking, if not, don't bother...
Old 22-05-2020, 12:01   #25

Boat: a sailing boat

Submerged, very many cored hulls will be write-offs. Mind the time these hulls were under water in hurricane areas where they lost all boatyard / crane / travelift capacity.

However, many other boats were damaged on dry storage. Simply, if the hull is cored, get a boat that got damage while in dry storage.

Buying a cored hull that spent weeks or rather months submerged and expecting to re-build it to good condition at a reasonable cost ... You know.

Even with a solid hull you would have a long and winding road.

BE REALISTIC

And you will be mostly fine.

There is no free lunch.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 00:19   #26

Hm, but how high is the likelyhood that the skin was damaged when falling down? If so, rain water will do the same damage...
Old 24-05-2020, 17:30   #27

Boat: 48' Alu Cat

Whatever you buy just remember, to build the hulls and super structure cost only about 1/4 of the cost of a finished sail away yacht or cat.
Seman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 17:45   #28

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
To me, the key is right here. If you want a PROJECT, then buy a project boat. If you want to get out sailing, then buy a boat that is ready to sail.

Some people like projects, enjoy working on them, and don't mind if it is two or three years before their boat is ready to sail. These are the people who should buy project boats.
Or a bit of both Though with a Junk rig I have a bit more flexibility, I can still sail even if things aren't as I want them. And finding supplies in Cape Verde makes the work an "interesting" challenge. Although I did bring a lot of supplies and tools with me.
Old 25-05-2020, 07:24   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuru05 View Post
We are still a year from starting to seriously look but whenever the weather sucks out I sit and browse/dream. I've noticed that in the past month or so tons of Hurricane damaged cats have hit the market which I'm sure is to be expected but it got me curious. Is it even possible to repair a boat like this one and come out ahead vs just buying one in good shape? It seems like you can get a decent Lagoon 410 for $200-225k so if you're paying $50k for a severely damaged one would you actually come out on top? I have no interest in taking on a project of this size myself, but like I said I'm simply curious.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...10-s2-3218246/

I might consider taking on something like this, but again it begs the question; would you actually come out ahead after the risk of unforeseen repairs compared to just buying one in good shape? Also once a boat is demasted in a storm is it ever really as good as one that wasn't?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/201...rd-44-3672583/
The simple answer is no. By law you have to divulge that you bought the boat with significant hurricane damage. You could do the best repair job possible but it will always be a boat repaired after significant damage. You might get into a boat for less if you do ALL the repairs yourself and know what you are doing. Resale will always be significantly below regular selling price.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 08:18   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Folks never factor in their own time, labor and expense when it comes to repairs, which can be considerable when taking on a fixer-upper. There will be many a midnight oil burned during this progress, not only yours, but anyone else involved in this project.
It's not for nothing " a labor of love" was coined.

Additionally, the fixer-upper will need to be stored somewhere, incurring yard costs, etc.

Unless the boat is a real " steal", I don't think much will be gained after all pennies and time have been accounted for.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane, boat