Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 18:14   #1

Boat: boat less ATM
Luff Tension on Screecher?

Greetings to the Brains' Trust
I am using this 7 weeks of Ground Hog Daying time on an oil rig tow from Singapore to Cape Town to fill in the considerable gaps in my sailing knowledge that I never have time to do when at home. Too busy doing engine maintenance,I guess.

Q1 = How tight should I have the luff rope on the screecher on my cat (47ft Tennant)? The sail is tacked onto a furler at the end of the prodder which is attached to the inside of both hulls by ?spectra rope. I have reinforced the backing plates in the bows as I was considering hanging the parachute anchor off there until I decided that attaching it to the bow crossbeam for ease of retrieval & bridle adjustment was preferable.

That is Q2 - is attaching the sea anchor off the crosssbeam a good idea?

That prompts me to add "replace prodder lines" to my TO DO list - if I ever get back to the boat from this oil sucka.

My boat is 8 years old and I have no idea whether those red support ropes are spectra or not. I better replace them as I hate to think what would else would break if one broke with the screecher up and the prodder was yanked up and over to one side. NO, that does not bear thinking about. Not worth ruining my day.

I guess this brings me to Q3 = what should those supports for the prodder be made of?
any help will be taken on board and ruminated over in those early morning mulling times.

Dr P
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:35   #2

Boat: Maverick 400 Catamaran
I would not recommend attaching a sea anchor off the cleats on the front crossbeam. The force is at the wrong angle on the cleat. The strength of the crossbeam is up and down which is strengthed by the striker.
paulrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:39   #3

Boat: Maine Cat 41
RE Q1: The luff rope should be tight enough for the furler to work properly, no tighter. In addition, you might find that you want two different tensions. One for actual use (tighter) and another slightly eased position when you are beating and using the jib/genny.

RE Q3: Spectra/dyneema will definitely work. You may need a way to adjust the tension, but I am sure you can work on that while you're off oilin'.

Fair Winds,
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote