Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 10:32   #1

Boat: Wishing for a Leopard Catamaran
Maestro Orana 44

Hi all!

We have been looking at the Leopard 40 (owners version) for some time now but having had recently visited the boat show">Annapolis Boat Show and stepping onto an Orana 44, 4 cabin, we are keenly interested in viewing the Maestro (owners version) Orana 3 cabin option.

We are currently in Fort Lauderdale (Pompano Beach end) and hoping that there is someone locally in the area that would be willing for us to come and view their boat so that we can experience the feel/layout out/have a look at it.
We have come from NZ with the intent to buy and spend the next season of our life together adventuring.

Any feedback on the Orana's performance, blue water abilities, things you love or frustrate you about these boats would be gratefully appreciated..

If you have a Maestro Orana, can we come and look at yours? 😃

Sent from my LG-V500 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 06-11-2014, 17:03   #2

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot SABA 50
Re: Maestro Orana 44

There is one in pristine condition, well outfitted, about 2 year? old, for sale in Mooloolaba Marina.... You know, the little big island just west of New Zealand..

Why? Owners upgraded to a Helia 44 Maestro.. It is closer to home for you, and they are gone on their Helia...

Contact Multi-Hull solutions for details...
Helia 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:33   #3

Boat: PDQ32

We have an Orana Maestro based in the BVIs. Unfortunately not all that close to you at the moment.

I can report that it is a good all around sailing boat and it does offer one of the absolute best owner layouts.

Henry

Sent from my GT-P7500R using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 07-11-2014, 13:35   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

Having owned an Orana 44 owner version for four and a half years can agree its a very capable blue water cat and comfortable live aboard. The owners bed set up great and good under passage. The boat sailed well and was a dream to manage.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 13:38   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

But obviously not as good as a helia? both you and Chris J teaded from your Orana?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 14:51   #6

Boat: Lightwave 45

Andrew

Depends what you mean "Not as good". I was very happy with the Orana but when I worked out how to upgrade the boat for all the options, those options that you state are unnecessary in a cruising boat that is, the Helia offered a better solution.

It was as though FP studied the market and designed a boat specifically to allow for full upgrades installed in the most optimal fashion.

I am sure the next 44 version will be better again.

There is also the small matter of A$1 mill+ for the Helia as compared to half that for the Orana.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 15:41   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
But obviously not as good as a helia? both you and Chris J teaded from your Orana?
I still own and extensively sailed both Orana and Helia. Orana sails slightly better than Helia (faster and lighter) but has had a number of quality/finishing issues, starting from a serious osmosis problem. She required plenty of fixing, optimizing, upgrading.
Helia is a much better finished boat and has only had minor issues starting from # 1 hull. She has more space, a flying bridge (you may like or not), she is couple of inch bigger and some 15 % more expensive.

I like them both; Helia for coastal sailing with family and for charter, Orana for offshore sailing in all kind of weather..

If we take sale numbers as a reference though, it seems that more people prefered Helia.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:50   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

Hi Factor, the opportunity to sell and upgrade at no added cost if we sailed the He'lia home from the factory in La Rochelle France was an offer not to miss, especially with the Ausi at 80 euro cents to our dollar. Plus we have a water maker,genset and washing machine making on anchor living so easy.. A chance to cruise the Med and meet up with some beautiful people, icing on the cake as they say. We leave Lanzanrote the Canaries for Martinique with the Atlantic Odyssey in a week,the adventure continues. Over 7000nm in the last twelve months so far.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 13:41   #9
Marine Service Provider

Great to see you out there living the dream Gordon ! A far cry from flying over those oceans in a past life.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 14:13   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Hi Factor, the opportunity to sell and upgrade at no added cost if we sailed the He'lia home from the factory in La Rochelle France was an offer not to miss, especially with the Ausi at 80 euro cents to our dollar. Plus we have a water maker,genset and washing machine making on anchor living so easy.. A chance to cruise the Med and meet up with some beautiful people, icing on the cake as they say. We leave Lanzanrote the Canaries for Martinique with the Atlantic Odyssey in a week,the adventure continues. Over 7000nm in the last twelve months so far.
Thats a pretty good reason, good luck with the crossing
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:36   #11

Boat: Wishing for a Leopard Catamaran

Thanks all for the feedback! Henryv if we end up in the BVI's then we'll be sure to come knocking and have a peek!

Sent from my LG-V500 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 10-11-2014, 10:18   #12

Boat: Arber 14m Sou'easter

I haven't sailed on one been been on board and think they look a nice boat and v capable - one observation is in the saloon they ( or the one I was on) seemed a little "enclosed" ie not as open and airy as I would have preferred but overall thought they represent a good boat ..good luck with your search
1paulg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
orana