Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2012, 22:29   #1

Boat: Mahe 36
Mahe 36 vs Nautitech 40

Having looked around for the 'perfect' liveaboard catamaran I now am looking at two interesting models that I am considering. While I can find a LOT of info on the Mahe 36, I find very little about the Nautitech 40. I am looking for a boat for 2 of us to live-aboard and travel, we also hope to someday do some ocean crossings, so need a catamaran that can handle this well. We will of course have occasional visits of friends and don't want to be too restricted on weight. while both models are (more or less) in our budget, the upkeep factor is still a grey area for me (and worldwide availability of spare parts, if needed). I should add that both of us are new sailors just starting out, so need an easy handling cat. are the 4 extra feet a big advantage when in rough seas (as this in my opinion might be the biggest advantage of the 40)?. Any recommendations out there of people that know both and can compare? Thank you!
want2cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 00:45   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Mahe 36 vs Nautitech 40

You might want to have a physical look at one of each of the models.

40 ft is a hell of a lot of boat compared to a 36.

A Lagoon 38 versus 40 is a MASSIVE difference for example. My Mrs would never live on a 38 when we looked at it but was more than happy with the 40.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 01:16   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

Take a look at the Lapari 41 and compare to the Nautitech 40, both the same size.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 01:25   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Yep the Lipari and the Nautitech are similar size, both are under 40 foot, and the Lipari 41 is actually shorter than the Nautitech 40. Strange tape measures the french use.

If you are considering the Nautitech there are two issues you might need to consider, the catana like helm positions are a killer for some, having said that it has two and thus you can get to the windward side of the sails, something you cant do on the Mahe.

And the anchor locker placement off the bow of the Nautitech is a bit of a worry, having all that weight that far forward and to one side.

The Nautitech has a "better" quality of build in the case of the boats I have surveyed, which is not to say that the Mahe is bad, just that the Nautitech is better. The Nautitech underwing profile is a bit odd as well with fairly ordinary square protuberances.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 02:58   #5

I will have a physical look at both in a few weeks. The helm position was one of the biggest worries of mine as they seem very exposed and somehow with less of an overview than the higher helm positioning of the Mahe 36. I think space wise the 36 might be enough for the two of us, but was worried about longer passages. Very surprised that the Nautitech is actually same/larger than the Lipari. also thanks for the comment on build quality!
Old 19-08-2012, 05:41   #6

I've looked at a lot of cats and really like the layout and ease of handling of the Mahe 36. I wasn't too impressed with the Nautitech I saw at a boat show. I only saw one, but I didn't much like it. I really like the Mahe 36 owners version. Two heads, two staterooms. Some like the third room with only one head for a couple, since it can be used as a storage room. I like the two head version since if any other couple came with us, I'd want them to have privacy in their own hull with their own head. Either way, I like the 36. Everyone says more size is good for ocean sailing, and I'm sure that's true, but I'm more interested in island hopping. For that, the smaller boat is easier to handle, dock, etc. and I really like the Mahe's layout.
Camp Director G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 10:18   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Have not sailed the Nautitec 40, but have sailed the 44. I have some strong negative opinions on this boat. You can read my rant here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post901314
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 01:57   #8

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

There are both Fountaine Pajots and Nautitech 40 in the same charter fleet as our FP Athena in Croatia. While the Nautitech may be a heavier layup than FP boats, they do look quite tired after a few years use compared to the FPs and this is with the same operation and maintenance regime. The 2 aft steering stations do give a better view of the sails but sailing anywhere with a lot of sun, the helmsperson will fry. In the end though, they are both good boats capable of safe ocean crossing so in the end it will come down to personal preference. My advice would be to spend a long time looking over each and then perhaps charter the first choice for a week to confirm that it suits you.

Good luck
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 06:39   #9

Boat: FP Mahe 36

I own a Mahe Duo (2 berts/heads), what i love: EASINESS to move around and handle, the helm and winches are the easiest to handle i've used, the "square'' seating positions is more comfortable to lounge in or sleep in, the ''perfect'' view everywhere, the inline queen berths (but a little high to get in/out), the 20 foot beam easier to find travel lifts, ICW friendly, sails well averaged 8 kts from Beaufort to Abacos, perfect for skinny waters, NO steps between cockpit and saloon a BIG plus, two heads a must,

What i dislike: the hatches (lousy), squeaky wood in choppy seas, hobby horsing in head waves, traveller in back of cockpit, NO after service from FP, DO NOT trust the warranty service, lack of a freezer (bought a Dometic freezer/fridge that doubles as an inside/extra helm seat, lack of extra sleeping area, no storage doors in berths and hallways'

A very comfortable boat all around. Have looked at Leopards 40?

Michel
Old 20-08-2012, 17:07   #10

Location: house is in melbourne australia and Muscade currently in Med.
Boat: fontaine pajot Marquises 56

we sailed a dufour nautitech 435 from carribean to australia 8 years ago with 11 and 13 year old boys on board. The 435 is a solid, safe, can be single handed, and relatively fast boat that does not hobby horse, and only had wave slap on the trip from puerto rico to carteghena where the water is notoriously shallow and short. the out helms were fine, we sailed with autohelm on the long passages anyway, and you have much better view for docking. The step in from cockpit is very necessary for as a safety issue for anything other than island hopping, if you are in **** weather with greenies breaking over the cockpit you do not want water inside your cabin.
karabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 20:18   #11

Boat: FP Mahe 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by karabil
we sailed a dufour nautitech 435 from carribean to australia 8 years ago with 11 and 13 year old boys on board. The 435 is a solid, safe, can be single handed, and relatively fast boat that does not hobby horse, and only had wave slap on the trip from puerto rico to carteghena where the water is notoriously shallow and short. the out helms were fine, we sailed with autohelm on the long passages anyway, and you have much better view for docking. The step in from cockpit is very necessary for as a safety issue for anything other than island hopping, if you are in **** weather with greenies breaking over the cockpit you do not want water inside your cabin.
I believe we are talking about 36 to 40 feet boats, and what does a step have anything to do with greenies getting in or not into the cockpit? I think someone got these comments way too personnal... Docking from one side is fine, either you go in forward or backward if the controls are to one side only you take that side... The compromise of having two helms in the back are two too many... But hey if you love your boat and can live with the compromises... Don't mind me and enjoy...
Old 20-08-2012, 20:59   #12

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

I think if you are looking for the "perfect live aboard" cat then you want to consider the size and layout that suits you.
If you are doing long passages comfort is important, so high bridge deck clearance and waterline are important.
Your budget will also have a large input as well.
The Mahe like all the new FPs are built to a lower cost standard to make them more "affordable".
There are plenty of posts from owners on this issue.
The Nautitech 40 don't appear to have a lot of room for there size, where as the Mahe packs a lot into it's 11 metres.
Have you looked at both boats, there are a lot of boats in this size and price range?
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 06:30   #13

Well, I have not looked at either of the two boats. Due to my very remote location I don't have any boats where I live. I will fly in 2 weeks to look at both of these but from anything I have read so far I really think the Mahe is the way to go. In this case it is a Duo as well, which I see as a BIG plus. This will provide plenty space and comfortable living I think. Also the level floor between cockpit and salon I think is something great as it increases the usable living space.
But in the end I will have to be patient to see both and just wanted to get some input from more experienced sailors with opinions on both.
Old 26-08-2012, 12:11   #14

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelhhhebert View Post
I believe we are talking about 36 to 40 feet boats, and what does a step have anything to do with greenies getting in or not into the cockpit? I think someone got these comments way too personnal... Docking from one side is fine, either you go in forward or backward if the controls are to one side only you take that side... The compromise of having two helms in the back are two too many... But hey if you love your boat and can live with the compromises... Don't mind me and enjoy...
You never had a big splash or small wave enter your cockpit? You are lucky, especially with a small 36 ft cat. We had several on the crossing to the Canary Islands and without a step between cockpit and salon we would have had to dry the interior floor several times.

Re Docking: There are many times I'd want to have two helms for docking. I agree that they are not perfectly located on Nautitechs. But then as a cruiser you typically don't spend much time at the wheel anyway.

To me the Mahe looks too lighty built. The decks are flexing under my steps. The deck hardware looks on the small side, the hatches look like toys. The interior is very large and comfortable for the size. But feels very cheap, the steps into the hulls look like household steps by Curver.
Overall I don't really like the Mahe and feel she is very light and small for ocean crossings. But she is a big bang for the buck.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 12:15   #15

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
I agree that they are not perfectly located on Nautitechs.
That is an understatement. Those helms are completely outside the cockpit, are located on the sugar scoop steps, have only a small protrusion to sit on and put the helmsman in sever danger of simply falling overboard. If one needs to get to the wheel, one has to step up onto the cockpit coaming while ducking the bimini, over the loaded jibsheet and down to the stern step. A good bounce could send that person flying off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
But then as a cruiser you typically don't spend much time at the wheel anyway.
That's because you won't be on the boat very long...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nautitech helm.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	45605  

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote