Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2024, 19:00   #31

Re: Maine Cat 38

Well I hadn’t refreshed my page, sorry I didn’t see the previous message which obviously answered mine
patmo141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2024, 04:16   #32

Boat: Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by malabarmcgyver View Post
Yes, it was in the Keys. I have met Jim Oren, the new MC builder, several times - Great guy.

Did you end up getting one, and did you go with the electric conversion?

The design looks great, it seems as if it has taken some elements from a PDQ and some from a Wharram.

Just completed the electric conversion on ours, but went with ePropulsion instead of ELCO...primarily because under sail at 4 knots+ those engines will recharge the matched ePropulsion batteries and Elco offers no regeneration. Also with Elco having the traditional drive leg you are still committed to the service and spares inventory of half of a gas outboard.
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 09:47   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloroxbottle View Post
Did you end up getting one, and did you go with the electric conversion?

The design looks great, it seems as if it has taken some elements from a PDQ and some from a Wharram.

Just completed the electric conversion on ours, but went with ePropulsion instead of ELCO...primarily because under sail at 4 knots+ those engines will recharge the matched ePropulsion batteries and Elco offers no regeneration. Also with Elco having the traditional drive leg you are still committed to the service and spares inventory of half of a gas outboard.
No, we haven't bought a new boat as of yet. We have had more conversations with the builder and if we proceed, I think we'll go with one Elco 20 and one Tohatsu 15 as I don't want all my eggs in one basket. The MC38, Hull #1, that arrived on the market sparked our interest, but with the single engine, even with the bowthruster, we don't think it'll work for us. I also heard that it had storm damage that was repaired. The spark, however, now has us missing our boat and we have looked at used ones. There's a Seawind that checks most of our boxes, but will be a compromise. Now that we are in the start of storm season, we are inclined to wait a few more months before making a decision.
malabarmcgyver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maine, maine cat