Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2007, 15:13   #1
Ion

Maine Cat 41

After much deliberation, I have settled on a Maine Cat 41. I had a chance to spend some time on one and the open bridgedeck is awesome. When closed up it was quite toasty even on a very cool day (almost a greenhouse effect). The boat's main use for the next 10 years will be weekends with friends and family on the Pamlico sound. Although I didn't personally experience it, the owner of the boat I was on swears he's hit 17 knots a few times. I was determined not to have daggerboards, but the boat draws 30 inches with the boards up and will allow me to get into many great anchorages around the pamlico that other boats can't even think about. Anyway, we are very excited...

In all seriousness, anyone wan't to talk me out of it? I have lost most of my objectivity at this point due to excitement...
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 15:20   #2

Boat: PDQ32
Sounds like a good choice to me - they seem to be well built and sail well - the open bridgedeck is not appealing to everyone but in warm climates seems to make a lot of sense.
Good luck!
Henry
Old 08-05-2007, 17:04   #3
Ion

Thanks Henry. The deposit will be going down very soon. Anyone else with pros/cons?
Old 09-05-2007, 06:12   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
I havent had the pleasure of seeing one in the flesh - but all of the data I have studied indicates that they should be a very good thing. With respect to my septic friends, they are one of the few US cats that appears to be built as a good sailing boat. I would think They would be an excellent choice in my part of the world, but they look like they wouldnt be able to land here at a competitive price. Too bad.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:10   #5

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
I personally haven't heard anything bad about them, only good things, and after sailing a friends Suttleworth tek 35 in the Bahamas, the open bridgedeck with an enclosure can be a very warm and inviting place on evenings, and sailing it was an unequalled pleasure, great visibility.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:06   #6

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Good luck with the new boat. We may see you on the sound or up the Neuse.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 18:03   #7
Ion

Where do you call home Sunspot?
Old 09-05-2007, 22:56   #8

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Congratulations Ion!

I'm the owner of Walking On Water, MC #10. We've lived aboard for a year now and just had her shipped to the PNW. Many folks talk about how this boat is only good in the tropics. Let me tell you that I fully expect to be living aboard this winter in Friday Harbor,WA. This boat excells in cool weather and the only problem you'll have is needing to seek counselling for that 'guilty' feeling you'll get when you see all those folks bundled up behind their dodgers when the breeze is a tad bit coolish. I strongly and highly recommend having a hydronic heating system install at build time. It'll be well worth the investment and I am also very happy with ITR's Hurricane system.

We've easily survived without the heat turned on at night in temps down to 32 degrees. As you've observed, the greenhouse effect is very noticeable on the MaineCat and even solar radiation on overcast days contributes significantly. (but you need the heat once the sun goes down at least here in the PNW) My wife's a SoCal girl and doesn't like to be cold but has no issues on board WOW.

Sailing is a snap and ridiculously easy singlehanded. Performance is great and the boat is a joy to sail. Can't say that I've seen 17 knots yet but she'll go to weather at 8.5 very easily in 17-20 knots of wind. I'm abandoning my screecher for here in the PNW so might be willing to sell it to you for below market price if your'e interested. Contact me via the MaineCat Owners Speak web page for more details about it and the boat in general.
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maine cat