Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2019, 21:55   #1

Major decision

Hi everyone...have been a sailing lurker here for a long time.
I am an Aussie currently living in South Africa. It’s time to come home but have to sell my house first. Once done I will buy a catamaran in Durban (difficult to get my money out of this country - hence this plan).
I recognise the wind movements in the Indian ocean but don’t want to travel into Northern Africa for piracy reasons nor into the deeper south - southern ocean.
It seems reasonable to sailfrom Madagascar to Darwin ( Home is Brisbane) direct ...certainly a long sail but that doesn’t phase me. What does concern me is what nasty weather I am likely to experience .... has anyone ever undertaken a direct route? I expect about 80-90 days at sea...
Really would appreciate your comments, advice, information about this plan.
Cheers and thank you in advance
bushytales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:10   #2

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Major decision

Quite difficult to sail directly from Madagascar to Darwin. I'd be heading to Thailand and then working my way down the Indonesia archipelago in the right season. Getting to Asia isn't difficult, getting to Oz is. Even getting from Asia to Oz isn't that easy nor getting from Darwin to Brisbane, it can be done and is done, but lots of motoring.

Personally I'd head west, cross the Atlantic and Pacific, much easier run.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:10   #3

Boat: Custom Catamaran

I’m just about to do the same but back from the UK. Keep us posted with your travels!
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:14   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post

Personally I'd head west, cross the Atlantic and Pacific, much easier run.
Me too!
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:22   #5

pretty easy run along the top of the westerlies. as long as the boat is ok and you have the sail range the only issue is getting a bit cold.
Bigmarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:38   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, bushytales,

The question is, would you trust a brand new, untried catamaran, for the Southern Ocean Route? The sailors from the Longue Route and the GGR have taken that route, and you'd be peeling off to Eden and the short run up to Brissie, so not having too fierce wx to deal with.

Please do not take my question as a slam to cats, it is just any, brand new boat usually suffers from teething problems, so to speak, and way more convenient to deal with where there are meaningful yacht services.

Ann
Old 04-02-2019, 13:26   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"The question is, would you trust a brand new, untried"
+1!
Any boat, even a brand new one built by a top builder and outfitted by a top yard, needs at least a 48 hour shakedown, and that's just to find the obvious problems. Before a major crossing like that, you might plan to spend a week in open but accessible waters, where you can get back to safe harbor if something is problematic. And then, expect it may take two weeks to fix.

Pilot charts, wind charts, masses of data that are available online from the ocean weather buoys, all can give you some idea of the conditions on the route you are interested in. There are weather routing services who are also more familiar with how the currents usually (ha) are shifting, as well as wind patterns, and it might pay to ask them where you can get some historical data.

And then of course there is Jimmy Cornell's "World Cruising Routes" which discusses the best and worst times and ways to get from here to there, globally.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 14:01   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Major decision

I would consider the zone from 35 and 40 South should be doable.. just N of the extreme ice zone and in the East bound currents with moderate winds.. have looked at this route a couple of times for one reason or another.. from Cape Town to Perth is roughly 5,000nm so theoretically it could be done in as little as 5 weeks..
November, December and January looked to be the best months with the greater % of winds from the N round to the SW with occasional S and some occasional Easterly headwinds.. after January the winds are more often against you for longer periods.
But then I am slightly nutz..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:35   #9

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hi, bushytales,

The question is, would you trust a brand new, untried catamaran, for the Southern Ocean Route? The sailors from the Longue Route and the GGR have taken that route, and you'd be peeling off to Eden and the short run up to Brissie, so not having too fierce wx to deal with.

Please do not take my question as a slam to cats, it is just any, brand new boat usually suffers from teething problems, so to speak, and way more convenient to deal with where there are meaningful yacht services.

Ann
^^^^^ It's not about cats, it's about new vessels.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 19:23   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
November, December and January looked to be the best months with the greater % of winds from the N round to the SW with occasional S and some occasional Easterly headwinds.. after January the winds are more often against you for longer periods.
I'm curious where you research this stuff, is there a wind almanac? EG:Monthly averages for an area. Maybe it would be a wind atlas.

This may sound like a stupid question, because there's probably an obvious answer that ocean crossing sailors rely on. But I'm not that experienced, as my sailing has been in a specific coastal area that I knew really well before I ever bought a boat.
thirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 22:19   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirds View Post
I'm curious where you research this stuff, is there a wind almanac? EG:Monthly averages for an area. Maybe it would be a wind atlas.

This may sound like a stupid question, because there's probably an obvious answer that ocean crossing sailors rely on. But I'm not that experienced, as my sailing has been in a specific coastal area that I knew really well before I ever bought a boat.
If you are not that experienced and will be on an unfamiliar boat heading east across the bottom is not for you.
Old 05-02-2019, 22:21   #12

Purchase Jimmy Cornells world cruising routes. It will give you an idea of the ways to go.
Old 05-02-2019, 23:17   #13

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirds View Post
Routeing Charts here... https://www.admiralty.co.uk/charts/p...outeing-charts. Contain EXPECTED wind, current and meteorological conditions for each month of the year based on historical reports going back hundreds of years. Invaluable.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is online now   Reply With Quote