Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2008, 17:49   #16

Boat: Hunter 45DS
We also flew out from San Diego to Miami, primarily to see the catamarans. The Manta looked like a 38 with four feet of transom added. And having to pass through the port head to access the forward stateroom will never work. They should just make that area a workshop or storage. Sorry, but it is low on our list.
bulabro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 17:59   #17
jzk

I thought that the two best boats were the Leopard 46 and the Dolphin 46. I really like the 2 head layout and extra bunks on the Dolphin.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 18:02   #18
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
It's funny to read everyones expearence with the Miami Show. We had to fill out forms to board about 50% of the boats. They really didn't mind if you just fill out your name on the form. We spent all day Saturday at the catamaran docks and half of Sunday.

On the subject of favorite cat, wow did mine change. I've had a fp Salina as my computer background for 8 months now. It's a super sexy boat and the layout is excellent but I just couldn't get past the poor fit and finish. Maybe poor isn't the correct term because my impression was that the majority of the cats where put together cheaply. In comparison to the mono's at least.

So, I'm in love with a South African now.

We really like the St. Francis 50. It's a big boat, tons of space, and fairly custom made. They only make 4 boats per years and every one is different in some way. The storage space above and below was par none. The size of the heads was awesome also. Each hull has a large shower in the forepeak. I could actually go on and on but it's at the top of my list now.

The show and weather was great and so was the selection of cats.
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 19:02   #19

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty135 View Post
I was at the Miami show also, and the Seawind 1160 has definitely moved to the #1 spot on my list. I am close to pulling the trigger on it and would appreciate any advice on why I should take another look at a different boat before I do. Any shortcomings of the Seawind that I may have missed, or factors that rule it out of your personal cat searches?
It is a great boat.

I like the twin steering stations for visibility.
I like a lot of things.
Dual freezers
large fridge at eye level
salon ventilation
salon seating / table / conversion is awesome.
bunks are great.
head is great.
storage looks good.
nav display a good idea.
removable windows at steering stations are nice, can snap on screens.
head room is great (me=6'4")
salon to hull transition is good.
anchor system great.

Factors?

I am not sure about the numbers but I do not think it has a very good weight carrying capacity. The test sail I went on was a boat that was a current liveaboard. There were not a lot of "things" laying about and I did not look in his cabinets/storage areas. When he pulled in with one other person aboard his lines were not visible. I am not sure what he had aboard though. He did admit to being heavy as a liveaboard. I want to live on my cat.

Going forward is something I could get used to and also could (?) make my wife get used to??? The only way forward is to step and walk on the lines leading to the cockpit. They are spread through their leads on the only walking space on deck going forward.

Few boats have davits that seem high enough for me. I take this to mean that they know more than me and the height is OK. It just looks too low to me.

Hand holds in cockpit are not enough but I could be wrong about that too. It is a cat after all.

Engine access is only good stbd and fair on port side.

IMO

I did not look at anything over the Manta in length.
If I win the lotto I will go to the next big show and check them out.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 02:59   #20
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Ewww..... I hope this cattle treatment does not come to the West Coast! When pigs fly will I give out my personal information and listen to an infomercial in order to board a boat that I am considering purchasing. Can you imagine a car salesman or a real estate agent doing the same? Hey, its Joe Isuzu. He sells boats now!

Gideon...all the better for your boat sales. Don't become like them.
Thank you David As you probably know I am doing this for fun and before anybody purchases a boat from us I prefer them to have sailed , slept and lived on the boat for a couple of days. A boat show is only good to get a first impression of a boat and the disadvantage is that there is hardly ever the time to really inform the prospective customers.
I prefer to stay away from boat shows and meet and sail with customers , better for them and much better for me
Another problem is that most salesman I have seen on boat shows hardly know how to sail there product or even know the product, I like to talk to people with good knowledge of the product they are selling.
I have bought many boats in my life and have always been amazed how sales people can get away with knowing nothing !! there are exceptions but not many.
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 03:03   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

[quote=rigamarole;135694]It's funny to read everyones expearence with the Miami Show. We had to fill out forms to board about 50% of the boats. They really didn't mind if you just fill out your name on the form. We spent all day Saturday at the catamaran docks and half of Sunday.

On the subject of favorite cat, wow did mine change. I've had a fp Salina as my computer background for 8 months now. It's a super sexy boat and the layout is excellent but I just couldn't get past the poor fit and finish. Maybe poor isn't the correct term because my impression was that the majority of the cats where put together cheaply. In comparison to the mono's at least.

So, I'm in love with a South African now.

We really like the St. Francis 50. It's a big boat, tons of space, and fairly custom made. They only make 4 boats per years and every one is different in some way. The storage space above and below was par none. The size of the heads was awesome also. Each hull has a large shower in the forepeak. I could actually go on and on but it's at the top of my list now.

The show and weather was great and so was the selection of cats.
[quote]

The St Francis is an excellent design and built by a very good team, I have owned a St Francis 48 for 4 years and she is still like new and is a fast and very comfortable sailing cat.
I am selling her now since I am moving up to a new FastCat 555 for a bit more speed but she is fantastic.
Old 19-02-2008, 05:15   #22

It was the Main Cat 41 that was the standout for me the last 2 years. Followed by the Seawind and Dolphin.
All just wishful speculation on my part as my budget is more in the Escale 39 or PDQ 36 range.
fishpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 09:57   #23
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Fastcat435, does St. Francis make your boats for you? I checked your web site and they look identical.
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 10:15   #24
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Ya just gotta love it when they charge you to get into a show just to sell you something. Just a pet peeve of mine.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 12:11   #25

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
St Francis and FastCat have the same designer, Angelo Lavranos. The St Francis 50 is a very nice ocean going catamaran, St Francis has retooled their factory and their new boats have a much nicer fit and finish, I'd literally take it over any European boat, but it's not the technical wonder of the Africancat. And yes, for purely selfish reasons I'd love to step aboard an African cat and talk for hours on her design. That's why we all want to see her at the shows. And we want her to gain the name recognition that she deserves. If Gideon is ever in Annapolis a standing invite for dinner exists here.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 14:17   #26
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigamarole View Post
Fastcat435, does St. Francis make your boats for you? I checked your web site and they look identical.
No we produce our own cats in Durban but we also represent St. Francis marine in Europe with the St. Francis 50

Greetings
Gideon
Old 20-02-2008, 07:15   #27

Boat: Leopard 46 Cat "Tulliana"
Miami

We flew back in last night after spending 4 days there. All of the sales guys were complaining about the low visitor numbers compared with last year especially at Strictly Sail. They seem to have resigned to the fact that there is a recession now in the US due to the credit crunch. The numbers at the convention centre seemed to be a lot better on the two days I was there (for anyone that didn’t go there were 3 separate shows in different locations, Strictly Sail, larger Powerboats and the convention centre with all the normal electronics, dinghy’s etc.

I was also surprised Dean wasn’t there but I did see Peter Dean himself having a look at the competition. I was also disappointed that there was only a 4-year-old Privilege 395 and no 445 or 495. The St Francis 50 I agree is a beautifully finished boat but the safety of movement from the transom forward would be a problem for me especially in big seas. I had a quick scan at the Dolphin but for me the shape of the Manta put me off trying to get on board.

Some good deals were to be had on electronics and parts during the show such as West Marine who were offering cost plus 5% on anything in their catalogue.

Well worth the visit for me.
Adaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 07:21   #28
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdog View Post
St Francis and FastCat have the same designer, Angelo Lavranos. The St Francis 50 is a very nice ocean going catamaran, St Francis has retooled their factory and their new boats have a much nicer fit and finish, I'd literally take it over any European boat, but it's not the technical wonder of the Africancat. And yes, for purely selfish reasons I'd love to step aboard an African cat and talk for hours on her design. That's why we all want to see her at the shows. And we want her to gain the name recognition that she deserves. If Gideon is ever in Annapolis a standing invite for dinner exists here.
I will take you up on that dinner , the same for you here in Europe please come and sail when we have the FastCat 455 Green Motion 455 here
And I will talke you for dinner here !!
p.s. I am sorry not to be in the States just to busy flying in and out of South Africa with the developement of both Green Motion , the New cata Rib and the 2 new models 405 and 555
Gideon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	455 new.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	2736  
Old 20-02-2008, 09:13   #29

Speaking of the Miami show, I grow weary of removing my shoes. Why is this standard at sailboat shows? I only walked on boats that didn't care if I left my shoes.
I was at the show with a friend, who is a power boater. We stopped at the in-the-water power boat show. WOW, What a difference. They don't care about shoes, and they have girls walking around serving complimentry margaritas, food, cookies, etc. It was embarassing after coming from the sail section. No wonder they think of us boorish snobs.
They are treated as potential customers, while we are treated as lowly pests. Whats wrong with this picture.

Marc
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 09:23   #30
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
Speaking of the Miami show, I grow weary of removing my shoes. Why is this standard at sailboat shows? I only walked on boats that didn't care if I left my shoes.
I was at the show with a friend, who is a power boater. We stopped at the in-the-water power boat show. WOW, What a difference. They don't care about shoes, and they have girls walking around serving complimentry margaritas, food, cookies, etc. It was embarassing after coming from the sail section. No wonder they think of us boorish snobs.
They are treated as potential customers, while we are treated as lowly pests. Whats wrong with this picture.

Marc
Hallo Marc I understand the removal of shoes I have had lady,s on board with high heels . damaging the teak deck.
We allow sailing shoes on board but alll other shoes need a cover or removal

Greetings

Tags
manta, miami