Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 17:54   #16

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Many Questions Very New

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBONESAW View Post
SNIP
I did have one other thing though....I don't understand the comment of a multi hull being less stable...I would have thought they would be more stable than a mono hull and harder to capsize...but I grew up looking at combines not boats
The rational for that comment relates to monohulls that have lead (or more frequently some other heavy material) at the bottom of their keels, or in some cases a very heavy keel. The result is that the more a monohull heels the more the keel acts as a counter weight keeping the monohull from heeling more. A multihull is much harder to heel at first, but the more it heels the less stable it becomes. Once a multihull lifts the windward hull there is also a wing like effect with wind getting under the hull and even with netting (and much more so with a solid bridge) additional force lifting the windward hull. If a multihull ever heels say 50 or 60 degrees (something it should never do) it is at great risk of capsize.

Often times not only wind but waves can result in a combination of conditions that increase the risk of multihull capsize.

Conventional wisdom is that a monohull with a lead keel will not capsize, rather it will sink to the bottom in an upright position while a multihull can capsize but will float on the surface upside down.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 17:55   #17

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

Welcome aboard from another prairie dog. We spent most of our working lives in Nipawin until we pulled up stakes a few years ago. Now we have a little place in Buchanan to come back to but we spend roughly half the year in a converted bus and the other half on a 43 Defever.

When we bought Gray Hawk close to 2 years ago I got all sorts of dire warnings from well meaning folks about how hard it was going to be to learn to handle such a "big" boat. I'm not sure what your history is but I had been around boats as long as I could remember and had owned several, just nothing quite that big. We picked her up in Seattle and delivered her ourself to Sidney. Then we set about learning to use her in small increments. We're on the prairies right now but our goal this summer is to get through Johnstone Strait into the Broughtons. Next summer - Alaska. Last summer we spent a couple of months in Desolation Sound.

Whatever you buy you will need to be comfortable operating machinery and you will need to be self sufficient. The alternative is staying within 8 hours of a dock and having a very capable credit card. For what its worth I found Power Squadron largely useless. I learned a lot by lurking on this forum and Trawler Forum. We also learned a ton from 2 previous owners of our boat and we were fortunate to be adopted by a very capable couple while we were in Elliott Bay after taking possession of Gray Hawk. My wife hired a captain for 3 days of personal training - I didn't find that particularly useful but she got a lot out of it. The whole boating thing is like the guy said about eating an elephant - you do it one bite at a time.

Do your homework, get on lots of boats - we probably looked at over 50 boats. When we walked on Gray Hawk we both knew immediately that we would buy her. We knew that because we had defined exactly what we wanted to do with her and where we wanted to go. You can't do that without seeing a lot of boats and talking to a lot of people. We also went to a couple of Trawler Fests - not sure if there is something comparable in the sail industry but there must be.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 18:23   #18

Boat: Acapulco 40
Welcome aboard Saw

I also hail from the center of the sailing world. ( Saskatchewan, if you don't already know). I started my quest about a year and a half ago and have taken lessons in a variety of places from Puerto Vallarta to Sidney and some home study courses. I recommend putting some time between the lessons as in hindsight there are lessons still to be learned after the instructions are over. I have only bareboated once but am going to do so again in the fall. It appears that we are probably on the same retirement plan.

I'll shoot you a PM.

Barry
Cruisingoneday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 22:05   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcerdos View Post
Personally, I would never sail the route you are talking about on a multi-hull. The mono-hull offers better windward sailing and will not wind up upside-down. You will find vigorous ongoing debates on this site for this topic. It boils down to personal preference. IMHO, a multi-hull is well suited for the Caribbean area, beyond that, 50’ plus mono-hull is the way to go. The open sea can be a horrible place.[/FONT][/COLOR]
Personally I would not go on a boat that could sink. With all due respect, A good production cruising Cat will point high as a similar mono. I outpoint cruising monos, I get a wry smile when a mono tries to push me up and he stalls before I do.

Quote:
3) Check out his site: http://www.svfullmonty.com/ Keep in mind you will always want the galley on the center of the hull and low (not in the main saloon).
Agree
Quote:
4) Most people when at shore, work a day then play a day, or two. While at sea, it is a full time job. The key factor is you want a boat rigged so a single person can handle it FROM THE COCKPIT.
Agree

Quote:
NEVER buy a new boat (unless you have money to burn).
Or unless you want warranty and service back up and like knowing exactly what stress the rig had been put through or knowing exactly how the engines had been used or abused and serviced,.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote