Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2020, 11:42   #1

Marathon Florida Depths

Hi All,

We're very serious about relocating to the Keys and have been Zillowing homes like mad.

I've been trying to find information about depths in some of the canals in Marathon, as we're looking for a home where we can keep our 24' beam and apx. 4.5' draft Catamaran and be able to get in and out safely.

Does anyone have information or know where I can find information about depths overall, in canals and cut outs, etc. for the area?
Laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 12:26   #2

Re: Marathon Florida Depths

Marathon is a city spread over Knight's Key, Boot Key, Key Vaca, Fat Deer Key, Long Point Key, Crawl Key and Grassy Key islands in the middle of the Florida Keys, in Monroe County, Florida, United States.

The impediment of a wide beam of 24 feet would seemingly preclude access to many if not most of the very narrow channels that were constructed in the 50's because often there is really room for only one narrow boat to be moored and to continue to allow passage. Reference Goggle Earth image below.

Some of the canals are wider than others, may be a size restriction that is specific to each canal.

Reference: Monroe County Canal Management Master Plan (CMMP)

http://www.monroecounty-fl.gov/Docum...9-20-13?bidId=

City Ordinances - Waterways

https://library.municode.com/fl/mara...TIICOOR_CH36WA

Just call the city to ask for the maritime policing officers regarding regulations. Your draft is likely to be a lesser issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	marathon canal.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	229693   Click image for larger version

Name:	marathon canal2.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	229694  

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 12:38   #3

Thanks for the help getting started.
Old 31-12-2020, 13:16   #4

The draft won’t be an issue in most of the canals. The beam, however, will be in many places.
apirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 13:49   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

This same question was asked not so long ago.....I happened to have a house rental on the very end of a canal (North Angler Drive) on Marathon so was able to measure the depths ...at my particular location....close to Boot Key Harbor......which were about 9' at low tide...could not say if this was the same throughout the canal...but a 4.5' draft should be easily manageable. I did see 3 trimarans there, smallish one's, but they were all tied up on properties that had unrestricted water approaches.

The beam is another issue....these canals typically have boats lined on either side on various model forklifts....I'm guessing here, but I would say the canal width is about 60' wide...but probably half of that is taken up by boats in lifts...leaving you with 30', give or take. You could get a 24' beam in there, but you'd have to back it out, and if you are at the far end, that would be tough. Your only viable choice is to find a house at the very end of an open canal. These are invariable prime spots, so bring a fat checkbook, very fat.

There are spots along Boot Key Harbor and some other areas which may allow a cat to be berthed there, but you'd have to find it....and it would have to be for sale..

I think your odds are slim, doable, but slim. There are also some area marina's that could likely accommodate a cat.

Marathon has canals both on the Ocean side and the Bay side.

Besides Marathon, there are other Keys in the vicinity which may provide a spot. I'm a regular visitor to the Keys.....sailboats in canals are a rare sight.

Most boats are on lifts....your cat would be in the water and therefore susceptible to hurricane tidal ranges, meaning your cat will end up in your backyard.

Sorry to be such a bummer, but telling you like it is.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 14:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
The beam is another issue....these canals typically have boats lined on either side on various model forklifts....I'm guessing here, but I would say the canal width is about 60' wide...but probably half of that is taken up by boats in lifts...leaving you with 30', give or take. You could get a 24' beam in there, but you'd have to back it out, and if you are at the far end, that would be tough. .
I started a thread on this issue not long ago. I was told the beam of your boat cannot exceed 25% of the width of the canal. So 24' beam cat needs a 96' wide canal to be legal.

Many other issues nixed buying a property in the Keys for me.
Old 31-12-2020, 16:27   #7

Saleen, did you end up somewhere else in Florida?
Old 31-12-2020, 16:30   #8

MicHugh, thanks for the info.
Old 31-12-2020, 17:04   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurief View Post
Saleen, did you end up somewhere else in Florida?
No not yet....still searching. Ten more months to retirement and want out of Kalifornia.
Old 31-12-2020, 17:32   #10

It is not the depth that I would be worried most about. It would be the storm surge when the hurricane arrives.

Images of Marathon after Irma in 2017 when 17 people died in the Keys and the destruction was massive.

https://abcnews.go.com/International...orida-49824063

https://www.google.com/search?q=mara...po3p7btKVsSj7M
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hurricane irma keys.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	493.0 KB
ID:	229730  
Old 31-12-2020, 20:21   #11

Boat: catalina 22 & 27

You could just anchor out and dinghy to it if your on the bay side. The last time I was down there I anchored near alot of boats that appeared to have been anchored for a long time.
Thx-Ace
Old 31-12-2020, 21:39   #12

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Check out Venetian Shores in Islamorada at MM85. Canals are 100’ which is rare with good access to the ocean under a draw bridge. You will meet the 25% rule which as others have mentioned is your going to be the main factor. If your budget allows consider open water bay front property’s. On those you will be limited by draft down to just a handful on the market at any given time.
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:34   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Your best bet is to drive down to Keys for a week or two and see for yourself. Hook up with some real estate agencies, visit area marina's, etc...talk to the people down there that will give you the skinny on the situation, etc, but I think you will find limited options.

I don't know your budget, but real estate prices in the Keys are pretty high, especially on a canal. A prime spot will easily be a 7 figure number.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 06:48   #14

Boat: EDELCAT33
Marathon Florida Depths

In COco plum beach there used to be a n A-frame masted sailing catamaran about 60 ft?
You may want to look at that area, there are a couple of small hotels to stay. A 4 day trip will get you good info on the surrounding area and options where to dock the boat.

Name:	IMG_6642.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	379.2 KB
ID:	229751

That is an Aerial view to get your bearings.

Do a Zillow overlook in the area, here is a snap

Name:	IMG_6643.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	376.8 KB
ID:	229752
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:27   #15

It appears that in order to improve the biological health of the canals that they are desiring to backfill some of them to reduce their depth so as to provide for better flushing action with tidal flow and wind forces.

From the county master plan.

5.2.3 Canal Backfilling

Technology Description
Canal backfilling would be performed in order to decrease
the depth of a canal to promote flushing and
reduce/eliminate stratification. Prior studies have indicated
that approximately only the upper 6 feet of the canals will
naturally flush in the shallow Keys near shore environment
(Kruczynski 1999). Filling in of abrupt changes in depth or
sink areas to six or eight feet would assist in eliminating
stagnation and increasing circulation. Flushing is typically
hindered by the fact that both the canal sill and the waters
surrounding the Keys are typically shallower than the canal
bottom. This difference in depth hinders mixing in the lower
depths of the canals. This option would work best in canals
where there was sufficient energy, either from tidal
fluctuations or wind force, to promote flushing at the canal
mouth once the deep stagnant zone has been eliminated.

Application
A canal was considered to be the best candidate for backfilling if it was observed in the bathymetric survey to exhibit an average canal bottom depth greater than 10 feet. Due to the high unit cost of backfill, further hydrodynamic evaluation is suggested to determine the quantity and
placement of fill that is required to provide adequate flushing for a canal prior to initiating the backfilling activities.

Tags
depth, florida