Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2022, 20:21   #91

Boat: R&C Leopard 40
Re: Marriage Savers - do you use them?

My wife talked me into them and I'm so glad she did. We have the Eartechs and find that they are so clear and loud it forces us to use a low voice, almost whisper. This keeps you calm and they remain calm. We find they work so well, we sometimes keep them on after they are needed. We have both sat at the helm seat and talked to each other for half an hour or so. 20+ knots of wind really makes hearing difficult.
Old 17-08-2022, 07:17   #92

Sorry if double posting, I started a thread dedicated to apps before I was tipped off about this one.

If only two people, both on android, then Walkietooth might be good (yet to test it as I am the only one in my family with Android).

A few benefits of Walkietooth:

-Option to share camera (more on that in a bit)
-Duplex with no need to push to talk
-Phone usually on person or close by at all times (your bulky single usage Sena wont be)
-Usually always charged
-Free
-Use speaker mode if more than one in the same vicinity needs to shares a set, otherwise earbuds (usually also on person)
-Many protocols, use: Bluetooth, wifi (no internet required), wi-fi hotspot, via internet via GSM or wi-fi router - most important that it works without cell phone service or internet access.
-If you do have internet access and you absolutely need to talk to more than two at the same time, you can always use the same device with your favorite video conference app and even let all your friends at the other end of the world see you crash your boat (probability of crash increases with number of people watching and recording - it's a fact. If no one saw, it didn't really even happen - fake news).

The option to share a camera can make so many things so much easier than simply having voice: The collaboration between the helm and the bow when lifting anchor under tough conditions were it is difficult to line up the chain... docking in a tight spot with obstructed views... sending crew up the mast for inspection... sending crew below to inspect something, read off an instrunent or find some item you can't describe... help someone in the dinghy with a technical issue... quality assure the crews work without having to leave the helm...

I am trying to find an app like Walkietooth that also supports iPhone and oreferably also more than two simultaneous users.
Gard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2022, 07:45   #93

Boat: Rafiki 37

We started out with radios. The work fine, and there are some advantages, but we (spouse & I), fairly quickly moved away from them. Hand signals and a good anchoring plan are just way easier for us.

But I suppose this is highly dependent on boat type and crew needs. No harm in giving them a try. My bet is you’ll find they become less needed over time.
Old 17-08-2022, 08:00   #94

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gard View Post
Sorry if double posting, I started a thread dedicated to apps before I was tipped off about this one.

If only two people, both on android, then Walkietooth might be good (yet to test it as I am the only one in my family with Android).

-Phone usually on person or close by at all times (your bulky single usage Sena wont be)
-Usually always charged
-Free
-Use speaker mode if more than one in the same vicinity needs to shares a set, otherwise earbuds (usually also on person)
-Many protocols, use: Bluetooth, wifi (no internet required), wi-fi hotspot, via internet via GSM or wi-fi router - most important that it works without cell phone service or internet access.
-If you do have internet access and you absolutely need to talk to more than two at the same time, you can always use the same device with your favorite video conference app and even let all your friends at the other end of the world see you crash your boat (probability of crash increases with number of people watching and recording - it's a fact. If no one saw, it didn't really even happen - fake news).

The option to share a camera can make so many things so much easier than simply having voice: The collaboration between the helm and the bow when lifting anchor under tough conditions were it is difficult to line up the chain... docking in a tight spot with obstructed views... sending crew up the mast for inspection... sending crew below to inspect something, read off an instrunent or find some item you can't describe... help someone in the dinghy with a technical issue... quality assure the crews work without having to leave the helm...

I am trying to find an app like Walkietooth that also supports iPhone and oreferably also more than two simultaneous users.

Some issues with this overall line of logic (using your phone)...
If I am on deck and the boat is away from the dock my phone is not on me. It is safely secured elsewhere.
Any open mike will be noisy so not sure how something without PTT or VOX would work

Have you actually used Walkietooth while anchoring or under sail ?
Old 17-08-2022, 09:36   #95

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Quote:

-Usually always charged
-Free
Let's put aside the issue that one might not have an smartphone in their pocket while going forward on deck (don't ask how many phones I've surrendered to Neptune!) .

Both foredeck team and helm should have their hands free to perform the task at hand -- so a wireless headset would be desirable even if a phone is present and part of the relay. The Sena headsets are bluetooth headsets capable of call audio, but have an advantage that they don't require a phone and can connect device-to-device. Their further advantage is that unlike many overhead headsets -- I use a Jabra Engage and Sennheiser SD Pro at the office -- the Sena fits over the ears instead of over the top of one's head. This allows one to wear a hat and makes the headset less likely to fall off when your head is down.

Furthermore, having a microphone close to the speaker's mouth is important to be able to understand them in adverse conditions. A tool that only works in perfect conditions is not a very useful tool. Hand signals may work for some, but if you're going to use electronic communication, I suggest a headset with boom mic. If you're going to have a headset, why not get rid of the phone?
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2022, 11:23   #96

Nope, never tried it. I have used walkie talkies before without headset - works pretty well. I have headsets for them, but never use them. VOX works sonewhat, PTT works vetter - but then you don't have your hands free... But I want the camera

Mobile Bluetooth in-ear earbuds work well in windy conditions.

I'm not too worried taking my phone anywhere - and I do. I might conscider securing it with a lanyard. It is waterproof and my cover is tough, but doesn't float.
Old 17-08-2022, 11:56   #97

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Nope, never tried it. I have used walkie talkies before without headset - works pretty well. I have headsets for them, but never use them. VOX works sonewhat, PTT works vetter - but then you don't have your hands free... But I want the camera

Mobile Bluetooth in-ear earbuds work well in windy conditions.

I'm not too worried taking my phone anywhere - and I do. I might conscider securing it with a lanyard. It is waterproof and my cover is tough, but doesn't float.

We used good Motorola Family Radios for a while, with VOX. Found the PTT/VOX feature troublesome. Activation takes afew seconds after a speaker starts yakking... so we had to get in the habit of conversations like "One, Two, three, four... begin real stuff here..."

The simplex working is also a detriment. Can't override the other speaker if necessary -- at least until he/she gets done yakking. Full duplex better.

None of that was horrible, certainly not expensive (especially since we already had the radios for other purposes anyway)... just not optimum.

Cellphone call with ear mics worked better... when it worked (ie., when we had reception).

And eventually we gravitated to Bluetooth headsets.

-Chris
Old 17-08-2022, 12:25   #98

Semi Pro tip.

Chinese baofeng radios are dirt cheap but quite good. You can program in all your maritime vhf channels, plus your pmr walkie talkie channels... If you want, you can tune into any VHF frequency (hunting radios, your car keys, the encrypted international space station...)

To make it easy for noobs on the boat, I have named channel 16 "SOS VHF 16" (for users that don't have a VHF licence but could need to send out a mayday). I have also named a PMR channel with the boat name1 - which is the one the crew uses. An added benefit of the baofeng is that it sends at 2w on pmr (same as whf) rather than your usual 0.5w (not completely legal everywhere). They also have FM radio and a flashlight.

I must have close to a dosen of those radios lying arround, with all sorts of antennas (long, short, term external), headsets, battery packs. One downside, they are not waterproof.
Old 17-08-2022, 12:52   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPG View Post
Just wanted to ask other cat owners if you and your crew use wireless headsets when docking, anchoring, etc. When we had a monohull it was somewhat practical to just shout but not on our cat.
The spouse is largely uninvolved in these processes. This way we can continue not to speak to each other if that what's happening that day.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2022, 16:20   #100

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Ours is a pretty tranquil ship.

Jim's voice is soft. I am "hard of hearing." Our mast is 65 ft. tall. The walkie talkies make it so that using normal voices, we can communicate at whatever length we like.

Perhaps the spouse being uninvolved in boat processes is convenient, but involving her in them, for most women, would leave them feeling more involved, and hence more likely to support the activity over time. I am quite glad Jim taught me to dock the boat when he still had the 30 footer. He also instructed me in dinghy driving. It greatly improved my competence and gave me greater freedom.

Ann
Old 22-08-2022, 20:08   #101

Boat: Lightwave 45, sold nov 2020.Previous self built Roberts 36

we have been happy with hand signals on our mono and cat. Either of us can be at the helm for anchoring or docking. Although my wife docked the cat most of the time, as she was better at it than me, and I was much better with the ropes .

Going aloft a whole different issue and we used our phones or I would take the hand held VHF. I would always be the one going aloft.

Wasnt against the marriage savers, it was just low on our priority list. We also use a double kayak a lot with me in the rear, and going wheer I am told
Glenn C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 06:21   #102

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

More than a few times both hands were busy, and hand signals would be impossible. For the most part, will use hand signals to indicate where the anchor is so she can motor to the anchor.

Headsets allow nuanced directions.. like, motor faster , slower, neutral.. etc while using both hands to bring the anchor rode in. She can keep the boat approaching the anchor at the right speed for this human windlass to take the rode in at a comfortable speed.

if someone can do EVERYTHING one handed, all the power to you.. nothing beats clear accurate direction.. IMHO.

Probably less of a problem with a Cat, but on a monohull, the mast often gets in the way of her seeing me at all, never mind seeing hand signals.

Headsets are pretty cheap. Just keep the batteries and spare batteries charged.

We were just watching, this weekend, a powerboat trying to anchor.. the yelling back and forth..what? what ? what? .... we just looked at each other , didnt say a word, and knew what each of us were thinking.. they need headsets!

Headsets, to me, are like GPS, you shouldn't NEED them, but it does make life a lot easier!
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote