Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2022, 06:15   #61

Re: Maverick 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalav8r View Post
I own hull #19 which is a 2018 440. I personally have not had any issues with cracks or delamination. I’m very happy and pleased with my Maverick.
Thanks for replying. Do you know what the cause was for the cracks and delamination on those older boats?

Also, how do you find the sailing ability on your 440? I know it is probably different than on the 400, but I'm wondering how close to the wind you can normally sail.
krowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2022, 07:15   #62

Boat: Maverick 440
Re: Maverick 440

I don't know what the previous issues were or what caused them. I can tell you all my dealings with Rudi and Chris (Rudi's son) have been very positive. I'm the second owner of the boat and they don't really owe me anything. Yet, they are are always responsive and answer technical questions when they arise. There is also a FB group for owners you may ask to join for more information.

As far as pointing, 45 Degrees is about as close as you can realistically expect. With optimal conditions, you might point to 40. When tacking, plan on 100-110 degrees initially and then work your way back to 45 off the wind. This is my experience as least.

As far as the 400 vs the 440, they are the exact same boat. The only difference is after they hulls come out of the mold, the sugar scoop extensions are added to the 440. This obviously adds waterline and load capacity but that is the only difference.

I've lived aboard my boat for over a year now. No boat is perfect and there a few nit noid things that bug me but overall she is a great boat. There are very few boats that cost twice as much I would consider trading up to but not many. She's not a performance boat by any means (I passage plan at 7 knots) but she lives much larger than 44' and is very comfortable. Bottom line, after a year+, I'd happily buy my boat again.

Jim
dalav8r is offline   Reply With Quote