Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2014, 16:35   #136

Boat: Royal Cape 53
Re: Miami Boat Show ...

came close to getting leopard 46/47. I found the older models a bit more solid. Diving a big factor for me ....so boat has to fit. Leopards have decent size transoms and steps plus storage for tanks/compressor right there. On my boat have hookah as well plus shower by steps. All flippers and gear into big holds next to tanks. leopard also ok being beached if needed.

Did not like front salon on new leopards either old design with sunshade/steps great...protective in big seas. Im 6 4 so front cab too cramped anyway.i know a few who have bought older leopards and love em. Seem to hold up well and good bang for the buck. Like the helm position on the 46. Antares has about the best protection and design in this area.....(pricey,but you get everything including training ! ) Found the lagoon too exposed. Best was C White...set up for the real sailors out there. Really appreciated the option to have fully enclosed helm/rear salon in winter ...also in summer storms provide much needed shade on hot sunny days .

Seems like all enjoyed the show.....so much choice out there...
Newcatcruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 17:39   #137

Boat: 28' Bennington

Newcatcruisers.....who makes Antares? Or is that the brand name?

I agree about the new front salon on the leopards. I think I prefer the shaded windows but will keep my opinion open
Lespilot57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 18:02   #138

...Hi Les PIlot. Antares boatbuilders based in Argentina. Best website out there,full of info.
People that have them seem very happy. Much more personal service than the big boys. For me...not enough space for Kids n gear. Rear area not ideal for dive set up(steps kinda steep and narrow) If smaller family ,definitely one of the best "package deals " . Ideal for someone thats in a hurry and wants to get on a totally equipped blue water boat ,ready to go. Their training school looks good too.
Old 21-02-2014, 18:07   #139

Thx newcatcruisers. I actually liked the Isara at the boat show but can't find anyone in here that will make a comment about them. Only had minimal feedback to my question about them.
Old 21-02-2014, 18:34   #140

check isara thread by scarlet....looks a beaut...never seen one in the flesh.
Old 21-02-2014, 18:36   #141

Thanks
Old 21-02-2014, 19:11   #142

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lespilot57 View Post
Newcatcruisers.....who makes Antares? Or is that the brand name?

I agree about the new front salon on the leopards. I think I prefer the shaded windows but will keep my opinion open
Check out the FreeFlow 46 which is similar in concept to the Antares , a world cruising vessel, with much more room than Antares in a modern liveaboard design much more cost effective. Designed by one of the original owners of Lightwave catamarans a top Australian cat.

Designs - FreeFlow 46

http://www.cata-ballotta.com/Price/FREEFLOW46.pdf
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 19:40   #143

Boat: currently a power boat :(

downunder, I've followed Ballotta builders since they started building Kelsall designs. Seems to be a quality build, but never been on one, so pics can be deceiving. Have you been on any of their builds? If so, what are your impressions? Also, do the sharp angle edges on the hulls/bridgedeck of the Freeflow concern you at all? I have very limited experience on catamarans (@4-5k miles) but I've always thought the edges in those areas caused excessive slapping even in slight seas. Again, just armchairing here as I have no real experience in a cat with edges. Please correct me if I am mistaken
Old 21-02-2014, 20:06   #144

Blue Sky,

I would have no concern with a Ballotta build having spent some time looking at both their Kelsall 58 and 40ft power cat.

Very experienced with infusion, high quality finish. Source materials from States etc. Perfect climate for fiberglass build. 20 mm precipitation/yr - desert.

Only area in would watch is get electrical plan/design organised in home country specs (eg. States or Aust) for them to follow.

Only sailed a FF46 on one occasion in light seas but observed the build at regular intervals. I don't see any issues in tunnel. The flat decks are great. I don't like curved deck surfaces on some vessels from a safety perspective.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0180.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	406.5 KB
ID:	76560   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0152.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	369.8 KB
ID:	76561  

Old 21-02-2014, 20:25   #145

Boat: currently a power boat :(

thank for the reply. I thought the hulls had protrusions for the aft cabins, but clearly I'm confusing the design with another. Looks like a nice boat with great livability
Old 21-02-2014, 21:23   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skye View Post
thank for the reply. I thought the hulls had protrusions for the aft cabins, but clearly I'm confusing the design with another. Looks like a nice boat with great livability
Possibly the Kelsall 46 you were thinking about.

CHEERS
Old 21-02-2014, 23:36   #147

...LESPILOT,the "free flow" pictures posted by DOWNUNDER of the cabin useful. I love the fact the Captain is central,high up,can see all corners,big glass windows in front,,,and totally protected. On my learning curne,still the hardest part is getting in and out of tight marinas,high current,high wind. Vis really important...

Also so much more relaxed on open ocean keeping an eye out..sp. at night.

my boat feels like an aircraft carrier,(30'beam ) Wheel on Sboard side,so need some one on front port side to guide. Dual steering would help. As i said prior ,reason i liked the antares cats. To be honest ,free flow looks even better. I don't quite understand the point of having a exposed steering position on ANY machine going anywhere significant. Kinds like you flying out front with goggles on ! Just don't see the point of being cold and miserable. Same time,other extreme is lots of cover and no vis. Seems like some cats (outremers) designed still for out and out ocean racers,with the helm right out the back in the open. Might have appealed to me 30 yrs ago...

Basic problem is,any cat you get ready built ,you are going to want to alter. If i had the time money and technical expertise,i would love to get a custom build off a basic good design ...
Old 22-02-2014, 00:34   #148

...DOWNUNDER. just got off BALLOTA site for build of free flow.
boat. The sail away price of that boat is 600 000us. That is by far the best boat for the money i have seen out there. Had a look at the interior details....AMAZING! More i look at the design the more there is to like.
The bench seat/bed to the right of the helm great for kips under way....nice big window to galley. Vey "clean"design....but not designer grey/bland. To me looks more upmarket than the schionning.

Pardon my ignorance...whats the set up with the sails? She looks very practical/fast . With that price tag,why would you go lagoon/leopard new?

Old 22-02-2014, 23:01   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcatcruisers View Post
...DOWNUNDER. just got off BALLOTA site for build of free flow.
boat. The sail away price of that boat is 600 000us. That is by far the best boat for the money i have seen out there. Had a look at the interior details....AMAZING! More i look at the design the more there is to like.
The bench seat/bed to the right of the helm great for kips under way....nice big window to galley. Vey "clean"design....but not designer grey/bland. To me looks more upmarket than the schionning.

Pardon my ignorance...whats the set up with the sails? She looks very practical/fast . With that price tag,why would you go lagoon/leopard new?

Definitely. I am only a beginner sailor with Motor vessel background but talking with experienced sailmaker /rigger this is a very strong sailplan.

The Wishbone Boom helps to spread the loads on the mainsheet due to its smooth self-vanging action. Does not need a traveller so is simple cost effective system. Wishbone booms are not uncommon on aust designed cats. Have seen it on Easton and Crowther cats.

Multis for sale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crowther 46 3.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	76607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crowther 46 2.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	76608