Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2006, 04:43   #1

Boat: Alura 30
Miami boat show

I have just return from the show.If you were looking for a sailing cat,this was the place to be. Looked at every Cat and came to the conclusion that the bigger the cats are the more waisted space there is. The layout is basically the same,it is just bigger. any comments?.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2006, 09:31   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
Depends on how you plan to use the boat and the space.

When I was deciding on my boat, used for living aboard and cruising the carribean and southeastern US coast. I determined a 40ft cat was probably big enough to provide all the space I wanted, although I never found a layout in a 40ft that actually did.

However, when considering available payload 46ft was the smallest I found that met my requirements.

Utimately I decided to have a semi-custom 47ft built. It uses about the same space as an "off the rack" 40ft uses for the "house", but with a layout designed to efficiently meet my requirements. The rest of the length improves payload and performance.
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 18:32   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Prout, Quasar, 50'
Just like monohulls, the size of the catamaran dictates the design possibilities. Once they make the jump to over 60 feet, the size allows for all kinds of innovation. There were 2 huge cats at the Miami show... the Silhouette, manufactured in South Africa, and the toffee colored boat built in Poland (don't remember the manufacturer). Their interiors were stunning, but not very 'boaty'... especially the boat built in Poland. The interior was Asian in design and simply spectacular. Don't know if I'd design my boat that way, but it surely was great to see.

Loree
Aboard SeaWolf
CruisersLife.com
Sea Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 18:58   #4
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Sunreef 70

I didn't get on the Sunreef this year but last years was something else. Of course for 4 mil (guessing), what the heck
Attached Images

Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 19:01   #5
Marine Service Provider

That's the boat! Too bad you missed it this year. Even the floors were spectacular! Oh, well... maybe When we win the lottery...

Loree
Aboard SeaWolf
CruisersLife.com
Old 16-02-2009, 19:04   #6

Jean1146, I don't need four heads but I sure would like a couple that allowed you to turn around in them. That doesn't seem to happen until you go over 40'. Also, the bridge deck clearence on smallers cats is - less. I don't know if any of you noticed when looking at the Lagoon lineup from the shore how shallow the bridge deck clearence was on the 380 and 420.
Old 17-02-2009, 08:57   #7

Boat: 1984 Westerly Sealord 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean1146 View Post
Looked at every Cat and came to the conclusion that the bigger the cats are the more waisted space there is. The layout is basically the same,it is just bigger. any comments?.
The layouts are very similar. Let's face it, though. All boats need a galley. All boats need a dinette. All boats need at least one head and berths. At the end of the day, you have to put the same stuff in all of the boats and the boats are basically all the same shape. There's not a lot of room for creativity.

I wouldn't say the space is wasted, but it sure does seem to go somewhere. On the Manta 42 at the show, there wasn't enough room for two people to pass each other in the salon without one person ducking into the galley or sitting at the dinette. There were smaller boats that seemed to make better use the more limited space available. The best use of space that I saw at the show in a "reasonably" sized cat was on the Admiral 40(?). I've never seen so much storage and open space. People tend to put down Admiral for some reason. I'm not sure why. Perhaps if the boat were in the open water rather than at the dock, I'd see for myself.
kevingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 09:59   #8

As we all know Manta Catamarans of Sarasota Florida closed for business. No more new ones unless they re open.

With that said, can someone that attended the boat show tell me, was the Manta 42 at the show a new or a used boat. I ask because I know that Keith (the last owner) did finish one last boat before closing the company late last year.
Old 17-02-2009, 10:49   #9
Marine Service Provider

I think it was used, but I've left a message for a friend who had another boat next to the Manta. She'll know for sure.

Loree
Aboard SeaWolf
CruisersLife.com
Old 17-02-2009, 12:28   #10
Marine Service Provider

Miami Boat Show Manta

Just received my call. The Manta at the show was an owner's boat. It was not for sale, but was brought to the show to see how much interest there was in the boat so they could make a decision about finding a new builder.

Loree
Aboard SeaWolf
CruisersLife.com
Old 18-02-2009, 15:35   #11

Loree,

Thank you for the info on the Manta that was at the show.

JerryF
Old 18-02-2009, 16:29   #12
Marine Service Provider

Jerry,
You're welcome. If I can help with anything else, let me know

Loree
Aboard SeaWolf
CruisersLife.com
Old 18-02-2009, 18:54   #13

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean1146 View Post
I have just return from the show.If you were looking for a sailing cat,this was the place to be. Looked at every Cat and came to the conclusion that the bigger the cats are the more waisted space there is. The layout is basically the same,it is just bigger. any comments?.
Jean,

I think you are basically right.
Your boat though "small" is very roomy.

I agree that the Admiral 40 looks very large inside. I don't know how they did it but.........wow!

My favorite is still the Manta 42. I know it is a 38 foot boat stretched to 40, then to 42. I don't care. No one has a nicer cockpit. With two (plus some guests from time to time) I am not concerned with having to pass by my mate - sometimes a little rub and a smooch is OK. Not much can beat the view of the Lagoon 380 from the salon, though the Admiral comes close. FPs have the light weight and high bridge deck clearance and that sinister looking "brow" but I just can't love circular sinks. The bowl sinks in the head look "upscale" I guess but I just can't bring myself to appreciate them. Just too much practicality in me for all that "art".
The leopard is very nice also, and priced pretty well for all you get - I guess -
I don't really know much except I am sure it ends up being an emotional choice more than a pure practical one.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 19:50   #14

Boat: St Francis 50
St francis

What did you think of the St Francis - seemed to us to be one heck of a deal at $700K for a well made 50 footer?
Catalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 04:25   #15

Is $700k the base price? Last years boat was $850k sailaway.
St. Francis is probably the best custom built boat for cruising IMO. Unfortunatly, I'm relatively broke now so am looking for used. If cash was not a problem, I wouldn't look any further than the SF.

Tags
boat show, miami, miami boat show