Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2015, 22:02   #1

Boat: Conser 47 performance CAT
Miami to St Petersburg in early November in 6 days.. Best route. Sailing a 45 ft Cat

Thanks for any experience

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Gboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 01:17   #2

Re: Miami to St Petersburg in early November in 6 days.. Best route. Sailing a 45 ft

Day 1 Miami to chanel 5 bridge, day 2 chanel 5 bridge to Marco island. Day 3 Marco to Venice, day 4 Venice to St Pete. 4 days minimum with good speed and weather.

Be very cautious for crab pots the whole distance. Predominant wind NE so should be good sailing most of the way.

If you want to use all 6 days stop at Cayo Costa state park, anchor in Pelican Bay. Dinghy to Cabage Key for burgers, beautiful spot.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sailingcouple13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 09:49   #3

Re: Miami to St Petersburg in early November in 6 days.. Best route. Sailing a 45 ft

Thanks for reply..

Makes sense..does this require any night sail..I guess not..of course in that area not really advisable. I was considering a 24 hour type sail from keys (channel 5 or 7 mile), staying off shore a little more ? This may offer 1-2 days in the keys..all weather permitting.

What do you think ? Thanks for your input.
Old 19-10-2015, 17:07   #4

Boat: 2009 Leopard 37 Powercat

Cayo Costa is a better place to spend a day than the middle keys, IMO. I'm with poster #2.

David Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 17:19   #5

Boat: Grand Banks 49

[QUOTE=David Hughes;1941370]Cayo Costa is a better place to spend a day than the middle keys, IMO. I'm with poster #2.

===

I agree with Cayo Costa. It's one of our favorite cruising anchorages and it's closer to your destination if you have any weather issues. Stay close to the beach on the north side of the entrance and you'll be fine. There is lots of room to anchor after you get inside. If you'd prefer a marina consider Tween Water Inn, South Seas Plantation or Boca Grande.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 04:13   #6

Overnight will be fine once you get through to gulf side. From Marco to St. Pete, the issue this time of year is stone crab season. If you overnight careful running under power full of crab traps unless you go way offshore. Not always a comfortable trip offshore in November Unless you get luck with wind direction the day you want to go.
You would not like it out there this week.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sailingcouple13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 20:02   #7

Thanks...

Another question, from Miami to channel 5 or along the keys.. Drakes Channel or outside or just weather depending ? Is it challenging to navigate the channel ?

Appreciate your feedback

Old 20-10-2015, 21:25   #8

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Was offshore at St. Pete Beach today. Took a nice young local woman for her first sailboat ride.

The crab pots are out, but not too thick yet. Four miles out was far enough to be free of the trap lines. Not sure how far out would be necessary further south though. Depth dependent I assume.

Great sailing wind today, and sea state was mild with the offshore breeze. Probably around 18 knots with some gusty stuff thrown in. Full main and a reefed headsail, not too much heeling and bumping hull speed several times. Pretty much just the way I like except for the gusts.

My first timer was all smiles, even giddy.
Old 21-10-2015, 14:08   #9

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy View Post
Thanks...
Another question, from Miami to channel 5 or along the keys.. Drakes Channel or outside or just weather depending ? Is it challenging to navigate the channel ?
-----
Do you mean Hawk Channel? I usually prefer it to outside the reef, same winds and smoother water. Easy to navigate, just watch out for the crab/lobster pots. Running down the outside is not a guaranteed way to avoid the pots, I've seen them in 200 feet of water. I do not usually sail at night in Hawk Channel but lots of folk do.
Old 21-10-2015, 15:29   #10
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Caya Costa is nice. But pay strict attention to the prior post about sticking close to the beach. There was an anchoring guidebook by BAIL I believe that have headings from the day markers. ITS WRONG, the day marker numbers were later changed. A friendly TowBoat US operator led us in. He also received a nice tip for his kindness.

We often anchor on the SW side of Useppa island in about 20 ft of water across from Cabbage Key (Cheese burger in paradise). Caya Costa can be reached by dinghy from there.

Rich

cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 16:31   #11
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Cayo Costa is a nice anchorage. It's not hard to enter, just look at your charts, keep close to shore and make your way in slowly. Personally I would spend a couple of more days in the Keys.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 16:56   #12

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

There is another route that's not as good because you miss the Keys, but is a little shorter and may provide an alternative in bad weather.

Sail north along the coast to Palm Beach Inlet or St. Lucie Inlet, depending on conditions, then enter the Okeechobee Waterway, which crosses the state and comes out at Ft. Myers.

Your mast needs to be under 49 feet to get under a RR bridge.

It takes a couple of days to motorsail across the state. Bucolic, some fun with locks, a sailing trip across Lake Okeechobee, a chance to see some of the headwaters of the Everglades. I sailed past a couple of gators, which was a change from the usual dolphins.

Again, not as nice as the Keys, but interesting to do once.

If weather forces you to stay inside, the ICW is slow, 40 or 50 miles a day with a careful lookout for uncharted sandbars. Do your research before entering or leaving an inlet; a fair number are shoaled, shallow and very tricky when the wind and seas oppose.

The outside is much better.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 18:17   #13

Hi all

The charts indicate the pelican pass is only 4 ft ... Is that the case.

Thanks

Old 26-10-2015, 18:42   #14
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

No Pellican pass is a bit deeper but you have to hug that beach scary close. I draw 5 ft. But it was dead slow ahead. Best to give a shout for a local IMO.

Rich

cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 18:52   #15

Boat: 2009 Leopard 37 Powercat

2 boat lengths off that beach is the deep spot into Pelican Bay. I've seen N57s and full keel sailboats in there, but I bet they are using the 1.5 feet of tide as needed....

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
David Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
miami, route, sail, sailing