Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2019, 00:51   #76

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Million dollar catamarans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I gotta take exception to this line of thinking.... the idea of creating some offspring to wipe by backside when I'm senile seems like the worst reason for making any. My mother lived in the US for much of her life, but when she grew too sick with dementia for my father to take care of her, they moved to Hungary where 24 hour nurses lived with them at their house for about 2 grand a month USD. Not everyone can afford that (certainly not Hungarians) but for those with a foreign income or small savings it is doable. She only just passed a few days ago, but the last few years were made bearable for both of them by this home help. Go further and you'll get cheaper... retire to north Thailand and you'll get someone to live with you for 500 bucks a month to wipe your backside as needed. Indeed, the 20+ years of financial commitment to even one child probably helps to negate a lot of that financial security you're looking for later. And lastly, don't assume your children will take care of you, no matter how much they love you. It is a devastating task, they'll have their own families and problems, and asking them to put their lives on hold for years is not something I'd want to do to one of mine.

The three of us have no children nor ever will.... we'll sail and travel until the first of us needs constant medical care, and then relocate somewhere warm and cheap to get it. If you have enough investment income to cruise, you have enough to hire someone later when you need it. No kids required.

Thanks, and sorry to hear about your mom. Hopefully you're ok.

The line of thinking was more that you may have some emotional support and a patient advocate in a child. Not someone to literally wipe your butt or put their lives on hold to babysit you.

As your mental and physical health deteriorates, who becomes your patient advocate in a care facility in Thailand? That's what sort of worries me.

You are mentioning 3 of you sailing until one can't. What is this group of 3? It doesn't sound like a single, solo traveler to me. Could you describe that a little? Sorry for the thread drift. I should probably open a new thread on this.

Maybe I'm worring too much but there is certainly a fear not of dying alone, but of deteriorating alone at the end. Suffering. Being fed citrus, which I'm pretty allergic to, things like that.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 01:19   #77

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Thanks, and sorry to hear about your mom. Hopefully you're ok.

The line of thinking was more that you may have some emotional support and a patient advocate in a child. Not someone to literally wipe your butt or put their lives on hold to babysit you.

As your mental and physical health deteriorates, who becomes your patient advocate in a care facility in Thailand? That's what sort of worries me.

You are mentioning 3 of you sailing until one can't. What is this group of 3? It doesn't sound like a single, solo traveler to me. Could you describe that a little? Sorry for the thread drift. I should probably open a new thread on this.

Maybe I'm worring too much but there is certainly a fear not of dying alone, but of deteriorating alone at the end. Suffering. Being fed citrus, which I'm pretty allergic to, things like that.
Thanks, and sorry, that's probably responsible for my ranty tone... but I was put in that position for a while and it is awful. I did my best, but it was awful.

Yeah there are issues that arise with a senile sick single person and any care, nursing home or home care.... I'd say don't leave it till the last minute, put down a few roots, and hopefully you'll find a person or two who will call if they see any bruises. It's the end of life, what more can we expect of it....

As for us, we're a three person marriage, been together 3 years, the last year of which spent on the start of a very long slow circumnavigation. With our three kittens onboard. It's a nice life.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 03:40   #78
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Great food... maybe, culture... in Tasmania?, warm weather... surely you jest!

Seen in various anchorages in Tassie for a few weeks:

Amongst the superest of the super yachts, Aquijo, some 87 m LOA and a bit bigger than I think I want, and with an air draft of ~94 m.

So, not all of these types seek out the Med or the Caribe, but come to humble Tasmania, just as Ann and I do despite not being very .01% ourselves.

Jim
In the Mediterranean and Caribbean there are many anchorages and marinas where one can find over 100 yachts like your lone neighbor in a single location enjoying great food, warm weather and culture. Porto Montenegro, Porto Cervo, Mallorca, Formentera just to name a couple.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 03:49   #79
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post

......Maybe I'm worring too much but there is certainly a fear not of dying alone, but of deteriorating alone at the end. Suffering. Being fed citrus, which I'm pretty allergic to, things like that.
I think if you have led a full life, with or without children/ with or without a long term partner, there is no reason to fear being alone when "near death awareness" takes over.

At that point.
....We are all alone!

When our worn out bodies and minds herald our mornings with pain killers, drugs and often dementia, I think I would prefer solitude and fumbling independence over a well meaning family fussing over the inevitable!

When I can no longer take care of myself....its time to go
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 06:47   #80

Boat: Jeanneau NC11, 11m

Judging a person by their value, you only de value yourself
blazing928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 10:11   #81
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazing928 View Post
Judging a person by their value, you only de value yourself
That's pretty judgemental of you to say that![emoji42] [emoji2]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 12:18   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Million dollar catamarans

Automobiles and cars are not all that different depreciation wise.
A Million dollar boat, is often a Million dollars new, but a few years later, it’s not worth near that.
That is when I buy, boats, cars, airplanes, they are all the same.
https://www.foxbusiness.com/personal...ill-depreciate

First year, you lose about 20%, then on rough average it’s about 10% per year.
Now that’s only for the first few years, it does actually depreciate out to some extent, and at some point begins to gain value, if well kept, but that takes a long time, and never really recovers its value of course, they are all depreciating assets, with rare exceptions.
My 1946 airplane is worth much more than it cost new if you don’t take inflation into account. I don’t know if it’s back to it’s original cost if you do, but 1946 was a long time ago too
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 12:53   #83

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I think if you have led a full life, with or without children/ with or without a long term partner, there is no reason to fear being alone when "near death awareness" takes over.

At that point.
....We are all alone!

When our worn out bodies and minds herald our mornings with pain killers, drugs and often dementia, I think I would prefer solitude and fumbling independence over a well meaning family fussing over the inevitable!

When I can no longer take care of myself....its time to go
Same here. I pray and hope I'm never a burden on my son who, being autistic, will have his own troubles to deal with. I just hope I've left him well off enough that he can have a good life. He's an absolute genius at some things, struggles with communication and social interaction.

If it comes to it, I'll make sure I'm not around to add to his difficulties.
Old 30-04-2019, 13:01   #84
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
I think half of the people with million dollar boats have nearly their entire net worth tied up in a depreciating asset.

those are the ones that never leave the dock since they are too worried about their boat's resale value
Old 30-04-2019, 15:06   #85

Boat: Goderich 35 steel cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaws View Post
Ok! But what could you do today with that 1 mil instead of a bit of fun then?

Life is about choices. If you had made the right choices then you could be enjoying the sun, clear waters and fresh air of the Caribbean right now as I am.

Oh! And the Lady on my boat today is beautiful in a very skimpy bikini and the Rum is wonderful.
Gotta take issue with your "right choices" comment.
Many are just doing fine having had fun, not been a slave to the pursuit of money.
One can still be having fun in the sun or wherever ( i'm bored with the tropics), and they get by just fine without the padded wallet.
If you lose those bucks is that bikini clad young thing still gonna be there? My older model sure will and we'll be honestly happy.
I am not poor nor rich, but I've done great
while enjoying every moment. Youre fortunate you never died young without enjoying the evident sacrifices you suggest were necessary to get that comfort.
It's all relative to the individual.
Raggedglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 16:20   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
Same here. I pray and hope I'm never a burden on my son who, being autistic, will have his own troubles to deal with. I just hope I've left him well off enough that he can have a good life. He's an absolute genius at some things, struggles with communication and social interaction.

If it comes to it, I'll make sure I'm not around to add to his difficulties.

Most people that are not severely autistic often “get better” often means that they don’t change really, but being smart people they learn how to act and pretend empathy etc.
When our Son hit puberty, he suddenly got a lot better, was more in control and didn’t act out in public nearly as much etc.
Give it time
However some traits they will carry to the grave of course.

My Father and I had a talk years ago, he had come to the conclusion that only the brave actually could decide when it was time, he had terminal Cancer and took himself off of dialysis when it became hopeless and all he had left was going to be increasing pain.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 16:23   #87
cruiser

Boat: Living the dream - New Gunboat 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggedglory View Post
Gotta take issue with your "right choices" comment.
Many are just doing fine having had fun, not been a slave to the pursuit of money.
One can still be having fun in the sun or wherever ( i'm bored with the tropics), and they get by just fine without the padded wallet.
If you lose those bucks is that bikini clad young thing still gonna be there? My older model sure will and we'll be honestly happy.
I am not poor nor rich, but I've done great
while enjoying every moment. Youre fortunate you never died young without enjoying the evident sacrifices you suggest were necessary to get that comfort.
It's all relative to the individual.
As for the "bikini clad young thing", I really do not care, she will be gone in another week and a month later another will take her place. I live by my own rules (within reason), I go where I want when I want and with whom I want (most of the time alone ).

Wealthy, well off or ignorant and happy, who cares.
TigerPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 17:09   #88

Boat: Venture ketch 14.7m

Like many things in life, 'value' is in the eye of the beholder. If you look at a cruising vessel and its value is preceded with a dollar sign, then my opinion is that you have entirely missed the point of what a cruiser represents! I look at my poor old boat and see freedom, adventure and peace!...and I couldn't even put a dollar value on those!
aqua de vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 17:23   #89

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaws View Post
As for the "bikini clad young thing", I really do not care, she will be gone in another week and a month later another will take her place. I live by my own rules (within reason), I go where I want when I want and with whom I want (most of the time alone ).

Wealthy, well off or ignorant and happy, who cares.

Your last sentence saves you, but quite frankly you sound like a dick. If other people are nothing but “[I]bikini clad young thing[/]”s to you then that speaks volumes about you. But if that works for you, just fine, your life is yours.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 17:28   #90

Boat: Outremer 51, J80

Having ordered said $1M Cat for delivery next year, we worked hard took chances and the Real Estate is solid with 10 year Leases and good income. I can now take the time and enjoy it. I was once sailing around for fun on our J80 in MDR here in SoCal and saw all the boats just sitting there that rarely left their slip - and I told the Admiral - "A million dreams but only a thousand memories".
We will be making memories, together, with friends that join us and with friends we will make along the way - I feel okay spending a chunk of what we earned - life is to be lived - see you in the Med next Summer!
RELENTLESS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran