Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2018, 13:26   #16

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Mini-washer Daewoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
I read a few reviews by campers and they all loved the Daewoo. But they used mostly shore power so power consumption was no issue.

I don't know what happens if you feed it with warm / hot water so it doesn't heat the water using electricity. Could be very efficient.
If its like our washer, then it has a sensor. So if you pick "cotton 40", it will actually test the water to see if its 40 degrees or not. If its 40, then it doesn't kick the heater in. The 28 minute cycle is a 20 degree cycle. Most of the time while cruising the water is 20 degree and no heating is required.

The big downside to the Daewoo is that it doesn't have a pump to eject the dirty water. It only uses gravity. However, someone with some skills could pretty easily make an external pump (ebay has millions of them). The second big downside is the 3kg load. 3kg is pretty damn small. So small in fact that a single fitted sheet and pillow cases will quickly overwhelm it. Don't beleive the marketing hype, sure it can handle the weight, but your stuff will still be dirty when you pull it out.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 14:49   #17

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
If its like our washer, then it has a sensor. So if you pick "cotton 40", it will actually test the water to see if its 40 degrees or not. If its 40, then it doesn't kick the heater in. The 28 minute cycle is a 20 degree cycle. Most of the time while cruising the water is 20 degree and no heating is required.

The big downside to the Daewoo is that it doesn't have a pump to eject the dirty water. It only uses gravity. However, someone with some skills could pretty easily make an external pump (ebay has millions of them). The second big downside is the 3kg load. 3kg is pretty damn small. So small in fact that a single fitted sheet and pillow cases will quickly overwhelm it. Don't beleive the marketing hype, sure it can handle the weight, but your stuff will still be dirty when you pull it out.

External pump may not be required depending on the mounting point. Should fit to the bulkhead above the toilet in a Lagoon 380 so just drain overboard using a throughull or just put the drain hose into the sink.

We had a 3kg toploader on a previous boat and it worked well for one set of sheet & pillow case plus one towel. That one worked well, but we had to use multiple cycles as it did only 20min washing cycles.

The Daewoo does what we consider normal cycles: 2-3 hours, with express cycles around 30-45min. So it should give good results, albeit limited to 3kg.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 15:37   #18

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

I just put the outlet onto a shower drain sump box that pumps the water out as it fills through a hose connected to a y in the sink drain
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 16:11   #19

Boat: Cape Barren Goose 37ft

Does the Daewoo Mini do a quick spin beween each rinse? That way the rinses are more efficient.
Old 28-08-2018, 16:29   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post
Does the Daewoo Mini do a quick spin beween each rinse? That way the rinses are more efficient.
Yes, see here
At 3:55 the first rinse & spin is done, and the second rinse just starts (9 min to go til end of the cycle).
Old 28-08-2018, 18:20   #21

Very impressed!
Old 29-08-2018, 00:13   #22

for those not capable of the funny dialect in the video...

The machine is wobbling around because he mounted it on rubber posts. There are other vid where one can see the same machine does not swing around when fixed to a hard wall.
Old 29-08-2018, 14:06   #23
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Anyone for minimalism?

http://robofes.com/wp-content/upload...ng-Machine.jpg

And why is this topic specific to multi-hull?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 14:20   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Anyone for minimalism?

I have seen those. Can you fit a double bed sheet in? Towel? The best part about a washing machine is the spin cycle

Yes why is this posted here? I have a 37ft mono and have had a 2.2kg top loader on board for 17 years!
Old 29-08-2018, 14:23   #25
cruiser

I lived for decades, raised two crops of kids with no other laundry.

We stopped buying anything that didn't fit. Exceptions taken to a laundromat but six hours away so. . .
Old 29-08-2018, 14:26   #26

Quote:
Anyone for minimalism?

We had one of those for a very short period (about a month), before we gave it away. It worked great as long as you were willing to spin it for like 20 minutes (roughly the same as a good front load washer). It also doesn't hold very much, a single bedsheet is about max.

Last we heard it had been given away 2 more times.
Old 29-08-2018, 15:00   #27

Quote:
Because to me its the best compromise between Hand laundry and full size washer especially in terms of weight.
Old 29-08-2018, 15:22   #28

Quote:
Because to me its the best compromise between Hand laundry and full size washer especially in terms of weight.
We had a machine very similar to this one for over a year. I think this is the best compromise between hand washing and a full size machine. Its not automated (you need to pour water into it, and switch the drain on). However, the cleanliness of our clothes was WAY WAY better than when we did bucket and plunger. It uses like 200W when actively washing. It was so amazing to just set the timer and go about our business while it washed, then drain, and repeat.

https://www.amazon.com/Panda-Compact.../dp/B00KY5V4M4

Its small, light weight and works. Its only real downside is the amount of water it uses. For us, it was about 40L for a load (wash and rinse). If you are stingy, you can use the rinse water as the wash water for the next load (brings it down to about 30L/load).

We also gave that washer away (once we installed our full sized). It has been about 4 months and the people we gave it to are still using it and love it.
Old 29-08-2018, 19:53   #29
cruiser

Quote:
My point is the discussion has nothing to do with multi-hull boats specifically. Seems to be the wrong sub forum to me.

But never mind.
Old 30-08-2018, 05:12   #30

Quote:
My point is the discussion has nothing to do with multi-hull boats specifically. Seems to be the wrong sub forum to me.

But never mind.
Let me re-format my answer

Quote:

On a large mono I'd go for a full washer. On a light cat such a 60kg beast is IMO too heavy, so this Daewoo is better suited for a cat.

In fact I almost bought one off ebay recently.