Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2018, 18:03   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Catana 47
Mini-washer Daewoo

Hi all,
I’m considering installing a washing machine and for obvious reasons weight is a concern.
Has anyone ever used the mini-washer Daewoo CV 701PC or the newer model CV 801PC?
Wat’s the consumption and the performance? Any breakdowns?
Is there any other manufacturer doing similar wall mounted machines?

Best regards,
Thomas
Chablis 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 19:26   #2

Boat: KH 49x, Custom
Re: Mini-washer Daewoo

We're considering this "drawer" type washer. It's supposed to be a companion washer, but it looks like it would work without the main washer too.

https://www.lg.com/ca_en/twinwash

Cheers.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 20:30   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Catana 47

oh, very nice looking, but still heavy. 52kg compaired to 16.5kg for the Daewoo.
Thomas
Chablis 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 03:19   #4

I hadn't yet looked at the weight, that's quite a difference! I wonder if the load size is the same. 1 cu foot for the LG. I don't know what the translates to in KG.

We're also interested in the Daewoo, perhaps more so now.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 27-08-2018, 03:59   #5

Boat: Cape Barren Goose 37ft

Likewise interested in the Daewoo. We in Aus only get the 2kg model.
I was looking at a 4kg Camec front loader but all the free standing front loaders are full of concrete blocks and it is critical that they are level before use.
I have used a 2kg top loader but it uses about 60 litres per wash and the clothes get stretched.
Old 27-08-2018, 04:23   #6

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

I can't comment on the Daewoo..

However we just installed a "full size" BEKO 6kg washer. While its a "full size" washer, its the smallest "full size" washer I was able to find. I spent months looking for washers that would fit in our cat. I looked at the Daewoo, but couldn't find anywhere to buy it. Frankly I think we are happier with the BEKO as it can take a full bedsheet (no way the Daewoo could).

The BEKO uses between 35-50L of water depending on the load size (it weighs the clothes). We run it on an inverter and it averages about 6A @ 12V (20deg load without the heater).

If anyone is interested, I blogged about the install.

http://www.svpartyoffive.com/2018/03...-big-boat-now/
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 08:45   #7

Thank you Traveller. That's a great looking unit.

The specs say 72 kg, is it ballasted? If so, is it removeable?

Bye Bye Daewoo, and LG. Hello BEKO.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 27-08-2018, 09:07   #8
Zai

Boat: 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser

We have had a Daewoo now for three years.

No problems, but it does not have a pump to pump out the water, it just opens a solenoid valve and drains with gravity.

I have an automatic bilge pump in a bucket under the machine, which has been working so well that I have been procrastinating on the final solution, which is and inline 12 volt pump controlled with a relay, which will get the signal to open the valve.

On the regular wash it uses very little electricity, I think it is 100 watts. The normal cycle is 29 minutes and uses 30 liters of water with two rinses.

The 80 c program uses 40 liters and it uses about 1300 watts for a half hour, then about 100 watts for the rest of the cycle.
Zai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 11:58   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by svquintana View Post
Thank you Traveller. That's a great looking unit.

The specs say 72 kg, is it ballasted? If so, is it removeable?

Bye Bye Daewoo, and LG. Hello BEKO.

Cheers.
Paul.
It is ballasted, but I have taken it apart and its easily removable (2 screws to remove the top of the machine, then 4 bolts to remove the concrete). We know a few other cruisers that have removed the concrete ballast in similar machines. If you do remove the ballast then you will probably have to faf about during the spin cycle (stopping and readjusting the clothes for ballance). We decided to just leave the ballance in. I think the ballast is a necessary evil in a 6kg machine. I just don't think a 6kg machine can ballance well without a concrete ballast.

The BEKO also has a 28 min cycle that we use almost exclusively. It cleans our standard "cruising clothes" very well in 28 min and cold water. One trick we will use, is to wash our bedding on motoring days. On those days we have hot water (not plumbed to the washer). We just use a bucket to pour hot water into the machine. With hot water the 28 min cycle will REALLY clean our bedding and sheets well.

Having a washing machine has completely changed our lives.
Old 27-08-2018, 16:23   #10

Thanks for the ballast information Traveller.

I might be missing something, but why can't the washer be fastened to it's shelf, or whatever supports it? It looks like you have it wedged between two bulkheads, could that not stop it from moving if it were wedged tight? Or is the ballast somehow attached to something other than the frame.

Thanks for your consideration.

Paul.
Old 28-08-2018, 04:55   #11

Quote:
Thanks for the ballast information Traveller.

I might be missing something, but why can't the washer be fastened to it's shelf, or whatever supports it? It looks like you have it wedged between two bulkheads, could that not stop it from moving if it were wedged tight? Or is the ballast somehow attached to something other than the frame.

Thanks for your consideration.

Paul.
You can bolt the washer down to try and compensate, but if the load gets too out of balance, you will have issues. The ballast is actually attached to the top of the floating drum (the drum floats on springs). The purpose of the ballast is to act as a "shock absorber" of sorts. A 6kg out of balance load can only throw that piece of concrete around so much.

Since this washer is an A+++ model it has a VERY high speed spin cycle. Even with the balast you can feel it shaking the boat while spinning. However, the clothes come out almost dry and only require about 20 min on the line to be completely dry (less with wind).
Old 28-08-2018, 07:14   #12

AHA, there was something I was missing. Yes, I see your point. So leaving the ballast in seems the prudent thing to do. So 72 kg is what we'll have to deal with, in that case.

It's so nice to be able to talk to someone who's actually using the unit. Spec sheets are nice, but only tell part of the story.

Thank you for the explanation.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 28-08-2018, 11:17   #13

Quote:
AHA, there was something I was missing. Yes, I see your point. So leaving the ballast in seems the prudent thing to do. So 72 kg is what we'll have to deal with, in that case.

It's so nice to be able to talk to someone who's actually using the unit. Spec sheets are nice, but only tell part of the story.

Thank you for the explanation.

Cheers.
Paul.
Just an FYI.. I think 72kg is not the right weight. There is no way its that heavy as I can fairly easily lift it by myself. I'm guessing more like 40kg once its removed from the packaging.
Old 28-08-2018, 12:43   #14

Another website says 60kg.

If I look more, I'm sure I could find more variations. I think they're just guessing.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 28-08-2018, 13:10   #15

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

I read a few reviews by campers and they all loved the Daewoo. But they used mostly shore power so power consumption was no issue.

I don't know what happens if you feed it with warm / hot water so it doesn't heat the water using electricity. Could be very efficient.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote