Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 14-06-2014, 12:32   #241
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Big project ...looks good.

Will have to share Some photos of Projects on Gypsy Voyager ... Just fitting 8 flexible bladders in integral keel water tanks. I had them custom made in China for 1/10 the cost of Australian made custom bladders ... So am curious to compare Quality when they arrive
thanks,
photos are allways good on the forum for people doing similar stuff to their boats
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:28   #242
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

progress!

anchor lockers finished.

main crossbeam bulkhead in place,with watertank under seat.

fwd accomodation bunk top in place ready for final laminating .

lots of itchy and scratchy

went with 2' pu foam composite panels and pu bulkheads under the bed in the fwd cabin,very labor intensive,and not much lighter than plywood,but unlike plywood it is rot proof,will have good insulation,and noise dampening properties.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10535.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	400.3 KB
ID:	84564   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10537.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	409.9 KB
ID:	84565  

Name:	SDC10528.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	420.1 KB
ID:	84566   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10533.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	389.8 KB
ID:	84567  

Name:	SDC10523.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	400.1 KB
ID:	84568   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10519.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	399.4 KB
ID:	84569  

Name:	SDC10514.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	412.4 KB
ID:	84570   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10511.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	84571  

Old 09-07-2014, 03:05   #243
Vis

Boat: Swanson 38

Looks great ... Miles of work !!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:58   #244
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Looks great ... Miles of work !!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
slowly,slowly catchee monkey

just bought 7 lewmar and gebo hatches,mostly new off the net for less than the retail price of one size 60 lewmar hatch.......the uk is great for new and used marine gear at clearance prices

your boat is looking good ,bet it is a relief to get her back in the water
Old 19-09-2014, 10:21   #245
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Just checking in to give you the encouragement from a distance. Ive watched this and knottybuoys thread with great interest.......

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 05:20   #246
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Just checking in to give you the encouragement from a distance. Ive watched this and knottybuoys thread with great interest.......

thanks for checking in,it has not been a very productive month on "Far Atoll" as i have been off delivering a lagoon 440 in the med for a new owner.

what should have been a quick easy 6 day job turned in to 18 days and 700 miles of sailing interspersed with boat repair!

all because the previous owners on their american flagged boat had "forgotten" to check in with the customs and immigration when they arrived in spain 16 months before!

the boat had then lain in a bankrupt marina,so never attracted the attention of the customs,but in the meantime they decided to sell,leaving the new owner who planned to ship from mallorca the hassel of getting a valid entry into spain and customs clearance for a non vat paid vessel,within the initial 6 month grace period for tempory importation.

algeria being the nearest non eu port was deemed the best place to visit to reset the clock,so we snuck out during siesta time and sailed the 500 miles and back clutching our algerian exit clearance and duly cleared back into spain 5 days later making a full "ships" inward customs clearance,complete with crewlist at a commercial port in southern spain.

in the meantime we had found signs of water in both the sd 50 sail drives,so thought it prudent to change the oil in both drives as a tempory fix,this done we left again,after a crew change heading for palma,only to have the port engine mounts shear!

alicante being 30 miles distant and on a beam reach looked like our best option with only one engine for manoevering once we got in to port,so we headed there.

with dawn breaking we ghosted in to the marina and came along side the visitors pontoon with out too much difficulty.

luck was with us as it turned out as the only catamaran berth available was immediatly adjacent to the visitors berth,and we were able to drift forward using a long line ,then with a combination of stb engine and the marineros pulling on the port line reverse into the slot.

next problem was it was a weekend and fiesta,with no chance of getting a local engineer in till monday.

luck had it that the guy who had done the oil change in cartagena,our last port was able to load up his welder and tools and drive the 300km round trip to help us,so by saturday afternoon we had the port engine up and running again.

sunday there were fairly strong headwinds so caught up on some sleep,and left first thing monday,stopped for the night in formenterra then arrived palma the next day.

this should have been it for the delivery,as we were due to hand over to the shipping agent who would be in charge of loading the vessel for shipping to singapore.

but the berth he had organised for the cat was right on the outer breakwater exposed to the mistral and large waves!
i refused to leave the boat there as it would have been smashed up in the 3 weeks it was due to sit there.
so they found us another berth.........at 190 euros a night,by this time it was late,so left the boat there for the night.

the next day after phoning around found a much cheaper berth,moved the boat there where it would be safe,and also so my crew could check on it periodically as we had also found a small leak around the housing of the stb saildrive,that needed pumping every few days.

flew out,got home then spent the next few days in bed with a fever and flu !
Thank You "Easy Jet"!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SDC10565.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	416.7 KB
ID:	88499   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10572.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	401.6 KB
ID:	88500  

Name:	SDC10574.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	413.5 KB
ID:	88501  
Old 20-09-2014, 05:29   #247
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
thanks for checking in,it has not been a very productive month on "Far Atoll" as i have been off delivering a lagoon 440 in the med for a new owner.

what should have been a quick easy 6 day job turned in to 18 days and 700 miles of sailing interspersed with boat repair!

all because the previous owners on their american flagged boat had "forgotten" to check in with the customs and immigration when they arrived in spain 16 months before!

the boat had then lain in a bankrupt marina,so never attracted the attention of the customs,but in the meantime they decided to sell,leaving the new owner who planned to ship from mallorca the hassel of getting a valid entry into spain and customs clearance for a non vat paid vessel,within the initial 6 month grace period for tempory importation.

algeria being the nearest non eu port was deemed the best place to visit to reset the clock,so we snuck out during siesta time and sailed the 500 miles and back clutching our algerian exit clearance and duly cleared back into spain 5 days later making a full "ships" inward customs clearance,complete with crewlist at a commercial port in southern spain.

in the meantime we had found signs of water in both the sd 50 sail drives,so thought it prudent to change the oil in both drives as a tempory fix,this done we left again,after a crew change heading for palma,only to have the port engine mounts shear!

alicante being 30 miles distant and on a beam reach looked like our best option with only one engine for manoevering once we got in to port,so we headed there.

with dawn breaking we ghosted in to the marina and came along side the visitors pontoon with out too much difficulty.

luck was with us as it turned out as the only catamaran berth available was immediatly adjacent to the visitors berth,and we were able to drift forward using a long line ,then with a combination of stb engine and the marineros pulling on the port line reverse into the slot.

next problem was it was a weekend and fiesta,with no chance of getting a local engineer in till monday.

luck had it that the guy who had done the oil change in cartagena,our last port was able to load up his welder and tools and drive the 300km round trip to help us,so by saturday afternoon we had the port engine up and running again.

sunday there were fairly strong headwinds so caught up on some sleep,and left first thing monday,stopped for the night in formenterra then arrived palma the next day.

this should have been it for the delivery,as we were due to hand over to the shipping agent who would be in charge of loading the vessel for shipping to singapore.

but the berth he had organised for the cat was right on the outer breakwater exposed to the mistral and large waves!
i refused to leave the boat there as it would have been smashed up in the 3 weeks it was due to sit there.
so they found us another berth.........at 190 euros a night,by this time it was late,so left the boat there for the night.

the next day after phoning around found a much cheaper berth,moved the boat there where it would be safe,and also so my crew could check on it periodically as we had also found a small leak around the housing of the stb saildrive,that needed pumping every few days.

flew out,got home then spent the next few days in bed with a fever and flu !
Thank You "Easy Jet"!
Man thats a bummer. If its any consolation, I too went down with fever and flu symptoms after arriving home on Easyjet last month........

YOu did good though as Skipper, solved the problem and thats all that matters.

Got my new passport, totalled up the cost of the dog eating it and my beltpack...... replacement passport(s), money eaten, Coins lost, USB drives, other documents......... Id say about 580EUROS all in.

Look forward to seeing progress when you are on the job again so to speak......
Old 20-09-2014, 05:42   #248
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

The joy's of the job huh..!!
I won't fly Ryanair or Easyjet anymore.. by the time one's paid for the hold baggage etc its only pennies more (if that) for an economy seat on a mainline carrier.. more baggage allowance for my bits, need the legroom.. and the mid-flight meal/snack, wine and coffee is soooooooooo nice..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 05:46   #249
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The joy's of the job huh..!!
I won't fly Ryanair or Easyjet anymore.. by the time one's paid for the hold baggage etc its only pennies more (if that) for an economy seat on a mainline carrier.. more baggage allowance for my bits, need the legroom.. and the mid-flight meal/snack, wine and coffee is soooooooooo nice..
So.. how do you go about booking your main carrier flights? When I check online they always are a couple hundred more........?

g
Old 20-09-2014, 06:01   #250
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Quote:
So.. how do you go about booking your main carrier flights? When I check online they always are a couple hundred more........?

g
Well I live in Portugal so fly TAP or Iberia a lot.. most times I've only 2-5 days notice to fly by which time RA & EJ are hitting main carrier prices.. eg last flight was booked Gatwick-Lisbon with TAP for £ 127.. RA & EJ wanted £117 + £20 hold baggage and they'd want me to buy **** expensive sarnies and scratch cards.. and charge me £4.50 for a glass of crap wine..
Air France can be very reasonable as well.. just depends on where your flying to..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 06:11   #251
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well I live in Portugal so fly TAP or Iberia a lot.. most times I've only 2-5 days notice to fly by which time RA & EJ are hitting main carrier prices.. eg last flight was booked Gatwick-Lisbon with TAP for £ 127.. RA & EJ wanted £117 + £20 hold baggage and they'd want me to buy **** expensive sarnies and scratch cards.. and charge me £4.50 for a glass of crap wine..
Air France can be very reasonable as well.. just depends on where your flying to..
you really only win if you can book a week or more in advance!
though waiting an hour or longer in a queue to checkin does my head in
Old 20-09-2014, 08:03   #252
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
you really only win if you can book a week or more in advance!
though waiting an hour or longer in a queue to checkin does my head in

I fly in and out of Bristol so not a major airline hub........ I can get Spain return for 50 Quid and usually just cabin bag so go straight to the boarding gate. I also spend 15 quid on the exec lounge. Free drink, food and wifi.

I can last 2 hours on a flight without a sandwich.......
Old 23-10-2014, 23:01   #253
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m

Quote:

Sorry to barge in here but I would love to get liveaboard, sailor perspective on living in Portugal. I think of marinas, local restrictions on liveaboard, are yachts cheap now there, what are great cruising itineraries local Portugal, and med.

Sent from East Africa via Cruisers Sailing Forum app
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 09:19   #254
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What is the latest on the build Atoll?
Gone cold so if you have gone into hibernation I understand

Oh... prout 26 scirocco catamaran north west boat yacht sailing | eBay
Old 24-12-2014, 03:53   #255
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
What is the latest on the build Atoll?
Gone cold so if you have gone into hibernation I understand

Oh... prout 26 scirocco catamaran north west boat yacht sailing | eBay
thanks for asking

it is a bit too cold for laminating work on the catamaran so mainly in the workshop at the moment.

as a little project on the side,I just disassembled , cannabalised 2 yanmar YSB 8 engines and rebuilt into one good one,which I fired up for the first time yesterday,runs very sweetly.

still looking for a suitable mast,about 11.6 meters if you hear of one let me know.

seasons greetings

Tags
grass, paracelle