Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 31-01-2018, 03:28   #976

Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

I also just watched their first few videos yesterday - interesting health and safety attitude to using a circular saw

Having refitted two boats in the same sort of condition (not I must say to anything like the standard Atoll is achieving), one took 6 months (for an HT 26) and one took a year or so for a Snowgoose 35. Their Dean 365 to do nicely will be a big job - I hope they keep up the enthusiasm.

I've just bought a Quasar 50 to do a complete refurbishment and am allowing 9 months to a year of 6 days a week full time to do it properly. I'm sure I'll be asking lots of advice as I go from the resident expert
Snowgoose35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 07:35   #977

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowgoose35 View Post
I also just watched their first few videos yesterday - interesting health and safety attitude to using a circular saw

Having refitted two boats in the same sort of condition (not I must say to anything like the standard Atoll is achieving), one took 6 months (for an HT 26) and one took a year or so for a Snowgoose 35. Their Dean 365 to do nicely will be a big job - I hope they keep up the enthusiasm.

I've just bought a Quasar 50 to do a complete refurbishment and am allowing 9 months to a year of 6 days a week full time to do it properly. I'm sure I'll be asking lots of advice as I go from the resident expert
Congrats on the Quasar, that's going to be awesome.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 08:19   #978
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:

congratulations on the new boat,it should be easier to work on than the snowgoose due to the large cockpit and saloon areas which are big enough to set up a proper workbench,if you need to cut up full sheets of plywood.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 08:58   #979

"which are big enough to set up a proper workbench,if you need to cut up full sheets of plywood."

I hope so, Atoll, its a big job on a big boat and will need a lot of full sheets of ply - it needs new head linings /wall finishes in every room, all new electrics, new furniture in every cabin, new heads top to bottom (and there are 3), new instruments, new galley, windows, hatches and on and on but...

has two recently serviced fully working yanmar 3GMs, good mast, rig, sails, furlers etc and a solid hull and deck and cost very little indeed

and I can stand up straight everywhere to work - 6'6" head heights in hulls and saloon - which makes such a big difference when its 8 hours a day every day.

Hopefully she'll transform from a rather overweight, dark teak over built old girl into a more modern style bright light oak, lighter weight cruiser but I don't expect to see the light of day for many months
--------------
-------------
Thanks Carl, I'm certainly looking forward to it, though it will be 2019 before I get her out on the water.
Old 31-01-2018, 09:35   #980
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
"which are big enough to set up a proper workbench,if you need to cut up full sheets of plywood."

I hope so, Atoll, its a big job on a big boat and will need a lot of full sheets of ply - it needs new head linings /wall finishes in every room, all new electrics, new furniture in every cabin, new heads top to bottom (and there are 3), new instruments, new galley, windows, hatches and on and on but...

has two recently serviced fully working yanmar 3GMs, good mast, rig, sails, furlers etc and a solid hull and deck and cost very little indeed

and I can stand up straight everywhere to work - 6'6" head heights in hulls and saloon - which makes such a big difference when its 8 hours a day every day.

Hopefully she'll transform from a rather overweight, dark teak over built old girl into a more modern style bright light oak, lighter weight cruiser but I don't expect to see the light of day for many months
--------------
-------------
Thanks Carl, I'm certainly looking forward to it, though it will be 2019 before I get her out on the water.
i can really reccomend setting up a laminating table,possibly under the boat to make up either cored polyester laminated panels or gelcoated laminated sheets for headliners etc,works out cheaper than marine ply,and no finishing after as the sheets come out in a high gloss finish.
great for bathrooms etc
formica faced ply or faced shuttering board works great for a table.

similar technique to the kelsall cat layup system where they use honeycomb or pu foam sheets on a long laminating table to make the hulls.
Old 31-01-2018, 09:49   #981
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft

Originally Posted by Snowgoose35

Congratulations on the new boat Peter..
Can we look forward to a 'Modernising a Prout Quasar 50ft' thread in the future..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 12:51   #982

Boat: Still building

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

Congratulations on the new boat Peter..
Can we look forward to a 'Modernising a Prout Quasar 50ft' thread in the future..
+1 for the 'Modernising a Prout Quasar 50ft' thread!

While the Seth Effricans attitude to Elfin Safty might appear a tad lax by some standards, you have to take your hat off to two **young** people getting their boatbuilding chops on a big cat.

It will be interesting to watch their progress. I liked his idea of using an additional layer of foam and glass to stiffen the aft compartments in case he decides to go for twin power units down track. Being organised enough (and farsighted enough) to realise that *now* is the time to do the hull strengthening shows he has some parts of his head properly screwed on.

And, let's face it, Atoll has set the benchmark for "Prout Restorations". This thread should be retitled 'beat this'! lol
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 12:56   #983

[QUOTE=Buzzman;2567458]+1 for the 'Modernising a Prout Quasar 50ft' thread!

Or the look how to make a Quasar look modern and better than it did before but nothing like as nice as Atolls Prout Elite thread
Old 31-01-2018, 13:00   #984

Did you mean thread?
Old 31-01-2018, 13:03   #985

Oops, thanks
Old 31-01-2018, 13:15   #986

LOL.

I mean, friendlyt competition is one thing, but seeing atoll as a "threat"....

He's much too nice a guy....
Old 31-01-2018, 15:49   #987
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
LOL.

I mean, friendlyt competition is one thing, but seeing atoll as a "threat"....

He's much too nice a guy....
i like the idea of a quasar thread!

latest idea is to be finished in the next 18 months,as we potentially have a buyer for our other boat.
so we will need new a "New victim" on cruisers forum to post a restoration thread, when we sail off into the wide blue yonder........

about the only way the "lady africa" couple are going to get their boat going again inside of a year, is if they use cored materials ,then use techniques like the kelsall cats to stiffen up the cat and create a new modular no frills interiour that way with just a polyeurathane painted finish inside.

it will be expensive as pu foam and nida core is not cheap,neither is epoxy but unskilled labour in SA is cheap,it will be interesting to watch if they go down that route
Old 31-01-2018, 16:17   #988

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I don't understand why they ripped a perfectly good boat apart like that?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 17:16   #989
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I don't understand why they ripped a perfectly good boat apart like that?

Pete
they didn't like the galley! and the rest was rotten

however one of the best comments was,"you do realise that for every hour you spend ripping infastructure out it takes roughly 1-2 weeks of time to put the new infastructure back in

i hope they realise that all the box section furniture that was laminated to the hull,or sections filled with foam were designed to give the hulls longditudinal stiffness to stop the hulls flexing.

the average hull thickness is only about 8- 10~mm so they will have to pay considerable attention to detail to replace the structural integerity on the rebuild, vertically and longditudinally with new bulkheads , stringers and floors laminated to the hull ,otherwise there will be a risk of the hulls breaking up in any big wave action.

hopefully he is planning on the modular interiour in nidacor as he posted in this video
at2min 30

Old 02-02-2018, 06:47   #990

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I hope she is well supported or he could end up building in an interesting "hog" into what was once a straight hull.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, paracelle