Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2014, 16:20   #121

Boat: Royal Cape 53
Re: Mono vs Multi!

Hi "down Under". Thanx for feedback. Yes,had to make the decision re speed over safety. At the time,my experience on sailboats a big fat zero. Run commercial dive ops, 5 years in Carib...DR,Haiti,Bahamas. So ok with anything with a motor attached. That Big stick with a rag attached a bit scary !!

Schionning,outremer,CWhite,Catanas....like sports cars to me. Waste of time if you don't know how to drive....and dangerous in the wrong hands!!! AS posted earlier.....a DORK can sink anything. I would definitely be in that category based on size of boat/performance /experience. Hence the skipper on board. To me doing 8/9 in 25 knot winds seemed plenty fast and fun.

RCC kind of fit the bill,strong,stable steady and as you said...i can crank the motors up at a pinch....and get to where i need.

Dave Sheens boat on tube....had a look last night. Looks awesome.He does 8 day trips on it....great way to check out a boat and dive with whales!!!!
Newcatcruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 16:31   #122

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing fast View Post
SNIP
Granted it wouldn't be more systems,
SNIP
My understanding is many, maybe even most, Schionnings are not really production boats. Even the condomarans have many options, and layouts, making them different to some extent. The most obvious example is the owners verses charter versions. One has four heads the other three or perhaps two.

Used boats may also have been modified by the previous owners. As an example my Seawind (another non centerboard/daggerboard cat left off the list) had the conventional head removed along with the thru hull fittings it used, as well as the rest of the thru hull fitting on the boat.

I could see a Schionning with a genset or something like a Honda 2000. Same goes for lots of other systems on the boat.

All else being equal I would guess a 50 foot performance boat might well have fewer and simpler systems than a former charter condomaran.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 19:23   #123

..here is link to U tube re schionning 16.2. this boat built in NZ. Agree with "Tomfl"...this appears to be custom built speed machine ...still v. comfy but no unnecessary frills... Appears to be kind of boat originally being looked for on thread i.e. balance between the 2 and space for a few kids. Lot faster than RCC . Obvious advantage to buy local to region. This is a working boat in remote area (Haapai) ,long way from marinas so built to suit.

Whale Discoveries "Wildlife" 2012 - Computer.m4v - YouTube
Old 09-02-2014, 22:10   #124

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcatcruisers View Post
..here is link to U tube re schionning 16.2. this boat built in NZ. Agree with "Tomfl"...this appears to be custom built speed machine ...still v. comfy but no unnecessary frills... Appears to be kind of boat originally being looked for on thread i.e. balance between the 2 and space for a few kids. Lot faster than RCC . Obvious advantage to buy local to region. This is a working boat in remote area (Haapai) ,long way from marinas so built to suit.

Whale Discoveries "Wildlife" 2012 - Computer.m4v - YouTube
The saloon is the best setup I have seen on a schonning and the Bathroom/shower setup is ideal for divers.

downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 00:09   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwjohm View Post
So the other part of the equation is space. Schionning Wilderness are great boats but we could not live in a Wilderness 1100. Maybe a 1320 if it was set out right. Getting better in a 1480, but this is a big boat. However, low 40s production boat has tons of space. Performance boats not only have thin hulls but living areas are swept back so the cockpits suffer in space.

For us it seems the basic rule is that an average production boat 40-45 will give great livability but you need to go to 50 with a performance boat, with all of the contingent issues that arise.
I guess it depends on how much space you think you need. To me most production 44 footers are ridiculously big for a couple. Even for a family of four they're roomy. It also depends on how much you value cubic metres over sailing ability.

IMO the Wilderness 1350 is a very spacious boat for a couple. The 1120 wouldn't suit someone my height, but would certainly be plenty roomy for someone closer to average height, especially if they've been used to circa 40 foot monohulls.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 00:41   #126

Boat: Lightwave 45

Yes, its horses for courses. There is a 1350 moored next to me now. OK for a couple but precious little cockpit space for visitors.

I was on a 60ft Shionning last weekend where the owner upgraded from a chincogan 52 because it was too cramped.

Each to his own.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 07:59   #127
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwjohm View Post
Yes, its horses for courses. There is a 1350 moored next to me now. OK for a couple but precious little cockpit space for visitors.

I was on a 60ft Shionning last weekend where the owner upgraded from a chincogan 52 because it was too cramped.

Each to his own.
That boat has to have a 27' beam. If you can't get comfortable in that, the next step up is a cruise ship.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 13:53   #128
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

I am actually a little confused on the move from 52 Chincogan (Grainger Design) to 60 foot Schionning for the reason on room.

I suppose the first thing is which Schionning, Wilderness-Cosmos-Waterline-G Force? If its a G Force, there is way less room than a 52 Grainger/Chincogan, Wilderness or cosmos- closer but still no bigger. Hull beams for example are smaller even on the Wilderness. Also the wilderness/cosmos design suite doesn't include a 60footer?

I actually prefer the Wilderness 1340 and G force 1400 of all Schionnings Designs, but that is personal thing.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 14:38   #129

on a practical note if family boat for use on barrier reef. Factor in size/weight of RIB you need and "toys" form dive gear to boards etc. My rib too small at present ( 6 kids,oldest is 6ft6!). Had a back up 2nd smaller rib with 9 horse. With my condo,i can go bigger and not worry.
Again don't see the point of getting a performance boat ,if you end up overloading. Seems to be the main drawback of P. cats.

Right RIB important in getting to and from dive spots,shopping trips ,exploring....specially round cays.

Set up on schionning looks ideal ....wilderness DOES look great.
Old 14-02-2014, 15:45   #130

Andrew

As far as I could see it was a custom loosely based on a Wilderness designed by Schionning, Dave and the owner based on the number of variations it had.

As you know there are a couple of G Forces on the market, and they go fast, but I could not live on them for more than a weekend.
Old 14-02-2014, 16:05   #131

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Another practical note for a family boat on the GBR, I would favour a larger shaded cockpit over more interior saloon area. Schoinnings and similar tend to fall short on both the cockpit size and amount of shade ( unless you put up lots of additional shadecloth like in the video of the 16.2 linked above).
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 16:52   #132

Absolutely correct, or as more and more designers are doing, combining saloon and cockpit with a flat floor and manouverable doors and windows all covered with a full glass bimini.
Old 14-02-2014, 16:57   #133

Has a price point been mentioned. Or is the OP cashed up. It seems that those posters/dreamers are talking huge numbers, unattainable by the average cruiser.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 17:39   #134

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Has a price point been mentioned. Or is the OP cashed up. It seems that those posters/dreamers are talking huge numbers, unattainable by the average cruiser.
Didn't mention one in the initial post nearly a month ago. I also note that he hasn't responded to anything posted since (he's still on post #1). Wonder if he is following the thread. Maybe we are all wasting our time trying to help him.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 01:40   #135

did not realize Rob had baled. Still...gets the brain ticking,hope the thread helps someone. I really enjoyed trolling for all the info i could get when looking.

Very valid point re sun cover. In the tropics,all the crew pretty much hang out all day in the back under cover....

Hope to make it to the barrier one day....on the bucket list along with test at the Gabba.....