Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Do you prefer mono- or multihull sailboats for cruising?
Monohull 149 35.73%
Multihull 268 64.27%
Voters: 417. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2008, 10:22   #496
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
My observation is that it's more likely for a sailor to give up his monohull for a trawler than a multihull.
Old 12-05-2008, 13:01   #497
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
Gmac

I think you might be misinterpreting Canibul's post. No multi ower has ever tried to argue a monohull guy into switching to a multihull. Post like his are always in response to an attack on multis. IMHO, there are simply too many attacks on multis around here.

I haven't seen anyone try and convince you that you need to switch to 2 or 3 hulls just as I don't see any reason for you to attempt to convince any of us that we should switch to a single hull.
There's the rub Rick, I'm not a mono man as seems to be defined by this thread. In fact I'm deep into a 50ft twin huller.

I'm not arguing for mono's or for that matter for Cats either. Just reading this thread gives me the impression there are many multi owners with serious personal issues against monos and may I add with some interesting thinking.

Canibul for example. I am impressed at his enthusiasm and that is great, enthusiasm for anything is good. But there does seem to be a strong anti-mono underlining theme, which to me just seems very strange.

Sure you don't have to have monos at the top of your list but many posts go beyond 'not 1st choice' in to the 'they are evil' area. There also seems to be a lack of knowledge about some of the mono designs out there these days. It just seems to me some are that anti-mono they are verging on fanatic. Maybe it's just the way I'm reading them.

Canibul - More power to you if you'd like to beach your boat or anchor on top of a bommie. It's just that in all my years out there I've never been in or seen anyone in a situation that they would 'need' to, mono or multi.

Actually tell a lie, a mate of mine did hit a reef and beached for a cautionary look over. If he was better at navigation he would not have hit the reef. He also hit a rock 30 mins after the boats launching, which we never let him forget Actually thinking further he sold that Tri, brought a 45ft mono and sailed up to Europe. FYI - he hit a few things with that as well. He's currently a few months off launching his new 50ft cruiser.

I still struggle with people who think the worse, it rearly happens.

As for 'attacks' on monos here, struggling to see that as well. I'd argue (probably not using the word quite right) that some multi people are expecting attacks so reading that into some posts. Trying to put it nicely here, some seems just a tad too defensive possibly to the point of being counter productive to their own argument.

Quote:
Multis are becoming more popular these days and with good reason, what's more important is that we've all already made our decisions, and own our boats. Let it go at that.
Good call.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 14:15   #498

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres
A bilge keeler will not roll as badly at anchor as a long keel boat as or draw as much as a mono with a deep keel, and it can also be beached. They run nicely downwind too--just do not go uphill quite as well. Ok for a cruising boat though.

I like my trimaran--a bit of both worlds. It can be beached too.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 17:09   #499
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
My observation is that it's more likely for a sailor to give up his monohull for a trawler than a multihull.
So those probably really are oxygen tents covering the flybridges of Grand Banks?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 17:20   #500
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ha! Good one, David!

Actually, my thought process was, as we all get older, do we think of switching to a "lively" boat, like a cat or a tri, or do we "settle in" to something more comfortable and predictable, like a trawler? I loved sailing my Hobie Cat, but at a certain point, it became a bit too much. Probably because I couldn't resist pushing it to the limit!

That could be one factor in why long time monohull owners don't buy a multi.
Old 13-05-2008, 05:02   #501
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
To say a good navigator will avoid the coral bommies is not really relevant here. These waters are about 95% uncharted. The charts say, for huge expanses, "unsurveyed"

As for my seemingly rabid defense of multihulls...maybe it's because I have recently been the one getting beat senseless on another forum by monohull purists. I recently quit subjecting myself to the abuse on that forum, I got tired of being constantly being called an idiot for attempting to explain my fondness for multihulls by self-annointed elitists who attacked not only my own reasoning concerning sailboats, but they also had issues with the fact that I own a 22 foot power boat.
It's possible that some of my aggressive counter-attacking nature has bled over here, which I admit is not appropriate. This is a much saner forum and I need to re-adjust.

Hell, just look at the results of the survey...

I don't have anything against monohull boats. They are just not a smart choice for the waters where I live. I got pretty defensive toward people who insist that a monohull is the best choice, period.

And no, I would not take a fiberglass catamaran anywhere that floating chunks of ice (outside the cockpit) are common.

I'll try to tone it down.

Hey, at least I didnt fly off into the "STUPID MONOHULL SCUM-SUCKING PIGS!!!!" rant.....

I also see that I managed to avoid pointing out my suspicion that many of the monohull elitists suffered balance beam or bicycle accidents when they were young, leaving them childless, singing soprano, and voting democrat. I refrained from suggesting their mothers were overly familiar with barnyard pets and domestic animals. I don't really feel that way, it's a defense mechanism.

(I own a 16 ft. monohull sailboat, btw.)
Old 13-05-2008, 05:05   #502
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I never trust the charts anyway--they can give you a false sense of security. The old eyeball is a lot more reliable.
Old 13-05-2008, 08:15   #503
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
There's the rub Rick, I'm not a mono man as seems to be defined by this thread. In fact I'm deep into a 50ft twin huller.
Building? Got photos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
As for 'attacks' on monos here, struggling to see that as well. I'd argue (probably not using the word quite right) that some multi people are expecting attacks so reading that into some posts. Trying to put it nicely here, some seems just a tad too defensive possibly to the point of being counter productive to their own argument..
I think defensive is a good word. When you're attacked on a regular basis becoming defensive is unavoidable. Not correct or polite but when that defense mechanism kicks in, stuff happens.

When I began posting here there were but a handful of multi owners posting here. I took a look last night and by my count there are now 71 multihull regular contributors. There are probably considerably more, but in the time I had that's how many I was able to identify. I think that's why the slugfests are getting ugly. There's more people participating.

Alan mentioned that he was going to see if it was possible to moderate these initial attacks. If that's successful, I don't think these mono/multi slugfests will develop. And I think that's necessary.

Peace and quiet at last.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 10:53   #504
One of Those

it reminds me of some of the Ford vs. Chevy stuff in high school. Or Winchester vs Marlin....Lone Star vs. Pearl...( it was Texas)
Old 13-05-2008, 11:01   #505

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
it reminds me of some of the Ford vs. Chevy stuff in high school. Or Winchester vs Marlin....Lone Star vs. Pearl...( it was Texas)
If not closer to the motorcycle vs car "discussions".
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 15:24   #506

Where I lived many years ago in Cairns and Townsville ,Australia. Which is very near the great barrier reef, you never saw monohulls anywhere near the reef and for good reason, even I was reluctant to go near the reef in my 30ft mono. As soon as i got my trimaran I was all over the reef and what a wonderful experience. In reasonable light you can always see the bommies, and with a draft of 1ft and an aluminium hull it is quite safe.
You get used to the comments, from mono guys. Once you have experienced the benefits there is NO going back.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 16:18   #507
One of Those

are you allowed to say that here?
Old 13-05-2008, 19:16   #508

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
So are you better off navigating with a Mac on a Multi or Windows on a Mono? Or Linux on a Proa?
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 20:37   #509

a well framed question muskoka,
My preference is Linux on a cat (take your pick - power or sail) for robustness and reliable performance.
For Hud3, I agree, DO NOT rely on paper charts or GPS/electronic charts as the two seldom agree with where the land is actually to be found, when away from heavily populated regions with marinas and all those other unnecessary luxuries.

On some charts, for example, the "wreck wharf" in Rabaul, PNG is a further 20 feet (if my memory serves) out to sea in 1975 - so if you are navigating a narrow passage through some reefs at night - expect to find something hard where it shouldn't be....
masalai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 21:03   #510
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Hey, at least I didnt fly off into the "STUPID MONOHULL SCUM-SUCKING PIGS!!!!" rant.....

I also see that I managed to avoid pointing out my suspicion that many of the monohull elitists suffered balance beam or bicycle accidents when they were young, leaving them childless, singing soprano, and voting democrat. I refrained from suggesting their mothers were overly familiar with barnyard pets and domestic animals. I don't really feel that way, it's a defense mechanism.
That's good and yet a shame. Good because I don't have to push the BRB on you if you did and a shame because I've been practising and need real life practice Just out of interest, what boat type the errant poster has is of zero input to my BRB pushing skills, I'll nail anyone.

As some have mentioned the Multi V's Mono debate will never end and does get a bit too heated at times. I think that if we all play nice and try a little harder to understand each others posts more will be achieved and learned by all. I don't have a problem if the BRB gets to rusty to work, in fact that would be perfect.

Be aware that the mono v's multi debates are being more closely watched by the team and 'any nasty' will be being stomped on hard and faster.

This applies to everyone equally, even me and the Hudster if we get too excited.

As a matter of interest, I've found over the years that if I don't bite back to a 'baiting', the other person seems to get even more miffed but has no comeback as I didn't take the bait. It's a great way to stop arguments yet with a nice splash of 'in your face buddy'.

Back to normal programming
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multihull