Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2018, 20:24   #1

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
Mooring buoy gets tangled

My boat swings around all over the place as it is more controlled by the breeze than the current and wraps the mooring balls in knots.

I tie it up with short lines that hold the small buoy and loop out of the water so that it passes over the top of the larger buoy each time they cross paths. This works but is not ideal.

Am I doing something wrong ?
Old 31-05-2018, 00:03   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Mooring buoy gets tangled

Dave, if you want to lie to the current, deploy a small drogue from astern. Might be able to make do with a bucket! We had a friend with a tri, who used one to lie with the keel boats, long time ago, back in Mexico, but the point is, the physics are the same: you only need enough drag to make you lie to the preferred force.

Ann
Old 31-05-2018, 03:21   #3

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Thanks Ann, I'll give the bucket a try.
Old 31-05-2018, 03:35   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Dave, it could take a small sea anchor. Yours is a large boat, with a lot of windage. Good luck with it. Might look at a 5 gal bucket, rather than a 3. Small hole in it. The hole size will maybe have to be adjusted to get the greatest pull astern, but it's easier to make a hole larger than smaller! Cheers,

A.
Old 31-05-2018, 04:35   #5

I use those primary colored foam "noodles" for swimming pool use, about 3' long for each bridle leg. the lines stay on the surface near the ball and don't tend to wrap up around the mooring.

Pat
Tusitala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 09:17   #6

Dave:

A lot of "modern" boats won't lie still when anchored over the bows or moored to a can over the bows. It's just a function of their basic design. I don't know about catamarans, but certainly in monos there is often an advantage to anchoring or mooring over the stern. I do it all the time. You do have to be aware that beyond a certain amount of "weather", it won't work due to the danger of getting "pooped".

Again I don't know about catamarans, but in a mono it is not difficult to rig a "riding sail" (from the backstay) that brings the CE far enuff aft that the boat will lie quietly "wind-rode".

TP
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 09:38   #7

Boat: Oday 25

I'm moored in the Hudson River where current changes from north to south and the wind is from any direction. So my mooring is a mushroom, plus some chain, then a swivel, then lighter chain, then a swivel, two rope pendants, one has a pickup stick and the second a plastic Tide bottle. Both pendants are seized together with wire ties except for the last 4 feet. No mooring ball. I just grab the pick up stick and cleat the pendant and do the same with the second pendant (the one with the Tide bottle) on a second cleat. Nothing left in the water to tangle and the swivel allows the boat to rotate freely with no tangles
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 09:51   #8

Boat: Catalina Mk1 36

I use 3/4 inside diameter foam pipe insulation. Same idea, keep the pennants floating high
Old 31-05-2018, 09:53   #9

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

Noodle trick also for me. When there is very light wind or no wind, the boat tend to kiss the mooring ball. Pendant as they float because of the noodles cannot messed up around the ball.
Since I have 2x 25' long pendant, that takes a couple of noodles and ty-wraps. I use black ty-wraps rather than white, because they are more UV resistant.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 09:55   #10

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46
pirate Re: Mooring buoy gets tangled

I need to ask while we are on the subject if anyone here has a trick with the Mooring balls when in the middle of the night the wind slacks off and my boat starts banging on the mooring ball. What am I doing wrong.
Ernie on the Mary Jane
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 10:15   #11

In days of yore when sailing ships ruled the waves, "the cutter" (ships utility boat) was kept afloat when the ship was at anchor, and it kept from bumping into the ship by means of a "boat boom". A boat boom was a longish spar that was handled somewhat like a modern spinnaker pole. With the boom guyed to the side of the ship and the boat hauled out to its outboard end, the boat couldn't touch the ship.

I see no reason that in gentle weather and with no current (as you posit) you couldn't use your spinnaker pole, or even a boat hook to hold your boat and the can apart.

TP
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 10:31   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

A spare buoy would solve your problem but probably not financially feasible.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 10:34   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailon46 View Post
I need to ask while we are on the subject if anyone here has a trick with the Mooring balls when in the middle of the night the wind slacks off and my boat starts banging on the mooring ball. What am I doing wrong.

Ernie on the Mary Jane

Nothing, I think they all do that. It’s the suddenly awake at 2am call from the wife “I think there is some body on the boat”.
I dislike it cause it seems to run a nasty slime on the hull, off of the ball of course.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 11:28   #14

To stop the banging, take the mooring tether to a starboard bow cleat, then run a line through the eye on the mooring ball and tie to the port bow cleat and shorten both lines up until the ball can not hit either hull.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 11:41   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
My boat swings around all over the place as it is more controlled by the breeze than the current and wraps the mooring balls in knots.

I tie it up with short lines that hold the small buoy and loop out of the water so that it passes over the top of the larger buoy each time they cross paths. This works but is not ideal.

Am I doing something wrong ?

Maybe a short bridle with 2 * 10 ft lines & connected with a swiveling shackle to the top eye of the ball. (assuming it has a top eye)
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring