Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2018, 21:02   #76

Re: Motion In The Ocean...

Old saying; Gentleman don’t sail to windward. Lol.
Wasn’t it Dick Newick who said “you can have luxury, performance or economy, but you can only pick two”
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 22:17   #77

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Old saying; Gentleman don’t sail to windward. Lol.
This is a pretty trite saying, really. Few of us seem to fit the definition of "Gentlman" as we sail in our small boats... I'm pretty sure I don't, anyhow!

It was better said by an older yottie we met in French Polynesia a few years ago. He was British, involved in the yachting industry there in previous years, and enjoying his later days cruising. He told me " I NEVER sail to windward, but I frequently need to alter my destination." Works some of the time for me, but other times we just really need to get upwind, so off we go. That is when sailing a boat that goes to windward well starts to look pretty important, despite all the hoary old sayings.

Jim
Old 19-06-2018, 22:36   #78

+1 for “hoary”
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 22:51   #79

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

I agree, I actually prefer sailing somewhat to windward. Anything from close hauled to about 120 degrees is fine, but I very much dislike downwind sailing.

If it’s really rough and/or we want it a bit less intense we can always bear away a few degrees and crack the sheets.

Horses for courses I suppose
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 00:08   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Yawn...

Think back to all of your posts complaining about monohull folks cherry picking data to support whatever silly prejudice was under discussion...

Jim
Sorry Jim. I guess stating simple facts isn't acceptable here. Some things never change.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 01:46   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Sorry Jim. I guess stating simple facts isn't acceptable here. Some things never change.
Mate, not disputing your facts. Just trying to point out that your observation isn't terribly representative of the cruising world in general. Or did I miss what you were implying... that monos were so uncomfortable that women would not make voyages on them?

And yep, trying to extrapolate universally from very limited data never changes... it's always a poor means of proving a point.

jim
Old 20-06-2018, 01:55   #82

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
On our trip to Vanuatu with 3 cat's and 5 monos, not one of the monos had the owner's wife aboard while all of the cat's had couples as crew.
You weren't just stating facts, you were underhandly implying something more and you know it. You cry prejudice yet don't check your own.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 02:12   #83

Hmm maybe I should look at monos !

For the record, that was humour.
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 08:18   #84

Boat: Wild Marine, Custom Cat, Wild 45, 45+/-feet - Masalama

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpOnStands View Post
Just looked at your photo album of construction. Very nicely done. Your photo of the hulls coming out had the title
"Finally, out of the shed into the junkyard"

Mostly built in a South Texas shed and assembled in the adjacent auto junkyard (protected by numerous fearsome feral junkyard cats).

If understand the photos, hull access is external to the bridge deck. What was the design reasoning?
The design is focused on offshore work (on the beach, we live outside in the cockpit and on the spacious nets, or in that lovely resort just behind the beach) and emphasizes the following items:

To keep the windage low requires a small, low, and compact central nacelle.

Our central nacelle is the shelter of choice for the standby crew (helmsman too, when the rarely used autopilot is engaged) offering a secure nav space, dry comfort, and hot coffee / soup. Little space is left for "internal companionways").

The hull cabins are reserved offshore for resting crew with dry and comfortable midship centralized berths rendering placement of any "companionway" difficult.

Warm, dry, quiet, and calm is essential when it is cold, wet, and noisy/windy outside. Fatigue without adequate R & R is an offshore killer.
Old 20-06-2018, 14:03   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
You weren't just stating facts, you were underhandly implying something more and you know it. You cry prejudice yet don't check your own.
Prejudice: preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.

Stating actual facts is the OPPOSITE of prejudice.

If you meant to say I prefer a catamaran over a monohull, yes obviously I do. As does everyone who owns one, otherwise they would own a mono, given that they are cheaper to buy.

And you know, my preference is based on actual experience. Not prejudice.
Old 20-06-2018, 14:34   #86

thanks for your reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightsusan View Post
The hull cabins are reserved offshore for resting crew with dry and comfortable midship centralized berths rendering placement of any "companionway" difficult.
Congratulations, the both of you passed a major test in self-control. No feature creep!

Happy sailing and good speed
UpOnStands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 14:42   #87

Quote:
And you know, my preference is based on actual experience. Not prejudice.
Those guys are like crud in the bilge. You do everything possible to keep things clean but it is inevitable.

If God had intended us to heel our feet would go sideways.
UpOnStands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 15:23   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Mate, not disputing your facts. Just trying to point out that your observation isn't terribly representative of the cruising world in general. Or did I miss what you were implying... that monos were so uncomfortable that women would not make voyages on them?

And yep, trying to extrapolate universally from very limited data never changes... it's always a poor means of proving a point.

jim
And yet you don't seem to have a problem with statements like ".....experience on monos tells me a multi would break up "

Not that YOU have any bias of course.
Old 20-06-2018, 16:21   #89

Quote:
And yet you don't seem to have a problem with statements like ".....experience on monos tells me a multi would break up "
How have you come to that conclusion? Of course I have a problem with BS like that, but I didn't know that I was obligated to refute every BS statement I encounter on CF. That would be a full time job, and I'm retired.

As to my personal bias... yep, I likely have quite a few, being human and all. I like to think at least some of them are supported by reality, and realize that very likely some are not. So what? Even if I do have some bias, my observations of the cruising world, at least the part in which I participate, show that there are lots of women voyaging on monohull vessels. That is in contrast to your example, and I think it reasonable to point out that discrepancy.

You are an ardent supporter of multihull yachts, and with good reason: they have many desirable characteristics. You have repeatedly denigrated folks who criticized them, claiming and sometimes showing that the criticisms were without basis. Now it is you who are making, by inference, an unsupported claim. I reckon that it is reasonable to call you on that. You may disagree if you wish...

BTW, if you were implying that I am biased against multihull vessels, I'd invite you to go back and review my various posts on such subjects. I think you would find that I'm pretty accepting of multis, and have supported some of your efforts to debunk their detractors. I've also had occasion to object to some overenthusiastic claims of multihull superiority. If your suggestion that I am biased had some other genesis, ignore this paragraph and explain just what you were on about.

Jim
Old 20-06-2018, 17:31   #90

Alright, now I get it. You have your bias, and frequently show it and that's OK. Meanwhile I have my bias, but for me to show it, or even mention facts that support that position isn't OK.

John McEnroe