Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2021, 06:53   #31

Re: Multi-hull cruising: where to start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndavies View Post
Performance, cruising, and catamaran don't fit in the same sentence - pick any 2 from 3. Since its totally weight driven - cruising and low weight don't go together. And if you are buying a boat to last - lightweight should not be your criteria.......just my thoughts, and not from my armchair!
You misquoted.

You can have performance, cruising & catamaran...it just takes a butt load of money.

What I think you meant to quote was you can have performance, comfort & cheap...pick any 2.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 07:09   #32

Boat: Outremer 51

My wife, daughter and I sailed around the world on a light cat. One thing that is overlooked is how well they perform in a breeze and big waves off the wind in trade wind sailing. Sailing with a only double reefed main and working jib keeps the loads light and manageable. We sailed from the Galapagos to Hiva Oa (3,000 miles) in mostly 15-30 knot winds in under 16 days with only a main and jib. The biggest breeze we saw on the trip was in the Indian Ocean and the boat performed well there even with the sloppy cross wave action. I would certainly disagree with the belief you need to have a heavy cat to go cruising.
Cayuse51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 07:57   #33
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Performance, cruising, and catamaran don't fit in the same sentence - pick any 2 from 3. Since its totally weight driven - cruising and low weight don't go together. And if you are buying a boat to last - lightweight should not be your criteria.......just my thoughts, and not from my armchair!

Here's a cruising story for you

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...v6wtwW97KFcsYn

Heavy does not always mean stronger, and heavy is the enemy of a well designed catamaran
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 08:23   #34

Hello jbox,

I did a write-up on thoughts about selecting features for a new-to-you boat as part of a book. If you PM me your email I can send it too you, if interested.

Enjoy the journey, Rand
Perfect Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 08:42   #35

Boat: Leopard 43

Check out http://www.multihulldynamics.com/ for historical multihull performance.
tedowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 09:39   #36

Boat: Atlantic 57

You never mentioned budget, but here is the cheap end of the sail-fast range. Quite limited accommodations, but that's the tradeoff.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...er-45-3719545/
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...er-45-3679403/
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...40-43-3819047/
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...er-40-3821762/

These boats will absolutely literally sail circles around the equivalent length Lagoon, FP, etc., etc. But the famous WAF (wife appreciation factor) is low.

Tell us your budget, not just for purchase but also for refit and maintenance, and we can all help you more.
Capdave360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 10:51   #37

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:

Here's a cruising story for you
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...v6wtwW97KFcsYn

Lightweight is absolutely your criteria. A lightweight performance cat relies on technically advanced design and materials that will be much stronger than run of the mill charter cat. This costs money that builders of charter cats, for obvious commercial reasons, are not able to spend. Cruising a true performance catamaran is a joy to behold.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 11:17   #38

Boat: Atlantic 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Lightweight is absolutely your criteria. A lightweight performance cat relies on technically advanced design and materials that will be much stronger than run of the mill charter cat. This costs money that builders of charter cats, for obvious commercial reasons, are not able to spend. Cruising a true performance catamaran is a joy to behold.
Yeah, this.

Full water, fuel, provisions, spares, tools & crew we run about 15 tons for our 57'. Only compromise on comfort is we don't carry the full generator/aircon kit. Would add about 1,000 lbs to do it right, not going to happen.

We sailed up to Barbuda last week from Antigua, and were keeping pace with a 107' Baltic sloop and a 140' Pendennis ketch. That's fun. Any boat anywhere near our size range cat or mono is just a walkover - except for the rare Gunboat or Outremer 5X.

But beside raw speed, the real fun is being able to sail well and swiftly in light air - that's when the sea is flat and it's brochure conditions. That's where the condomarans really fall down.
Capdave360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 13:45   #39

"Multihull Seamanship" by Gavin Le Sueur is worth a read. When I purchased my hard copy, an e-book version was not on offer.
Brian Renwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 13:55   #40

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capdave360 View Post
...But beside raw speed, the real fun is being able to sail well and swiftly in light air - that's when the sea is flat and it's brochure conditions. That's where the condomarans really fall down.
This

Sailing along with enough boat speed in 5 knots of true wind that you don't even think about running the engine is a dream. It can be fun (or wild) in the teens, but ghosting along silently....
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 15:05   #41
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
This

Sailing along with enough boat speed in 5 knots of true wind that you don't even think about running the engine is a dream. It can be fun (or wild) in the teens, but ghosting along silently....

Yes, the beauty of a performance cat is not only the ability to sail in light winds, it’s also the ability to sail in stronger winds with a greatly reduced amount of sail still making good speeds. Much less stress on boat and crew.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 15:25   #42

Boat: Privilege 42

"a work remote while cruising plan"

One thing not mentioned on this thread yet is that cruising takes a lot of time and effort. Living on a boat and working remotely: no problem. Living on a boat in exotic locations and working remotely: doable but not easy. Cruise a while, work a while: very doable. But it was too much for me to cruise and work at the same time AND do a good job of both. Cruising often demands both ongoing attention and immediate action (for example, dealing with weather). This was seldom compatible with my work as a software developer. In the end we alternated a few months cruising and a few months working. That worked very well for us for over 10 years. And I could enjoy cruising without worrying about work.

Also, outside of your home country, working may not be legal. And if you are an employee, your company may not allow it. Better to (quietly) investigate these issues ahead of time than to be caught in a bad situation by surprise after investing lots of time and money in a plan.

SV Day Dreamer
Privilege 42 catamaran
daydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:12   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbox84126 View Post
Hey folks,

My SO and I are starting to devise a work remote while cruising plan. From my reading so, catamarans seem like the obvious pick for this lifestyle. We've been sailing a 30' US-Yacht for a couple years and are looking to upgrade in a big way. We work in tech and have a decent amount saved to spend on a bluewater capable cat.

So I have a couple questions for the community:
1) Are there intro to catamaran cruising posts on this forum that provide a nexus for information as we draw up our plans?
2) Do folks here have any recommended readings/guides for getting go with cruising? So far I've read voyager's guide and Catamarans. Both provided great info but felt a bit dated at times
3) In particular, I'm highly interested in database of 10-15 year old cats that could serve as a potential cruiser. Does something like this exist?

Thanks all for the help!
I think this website might help you out. Check out the recommended gear for some books that might be of interest

https://www.catamaranfreedom.com

Good luck
Cat_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 16:39   #44

There is something to be said for a good old fashioned book vs blogs youtube etc. I'd say there is no better place to start than 'the case for the cruising trimaran' by Jim Brown possibly available free online.. Of course a little 'dated' as you say, but so long as you're not just wanting specific boat recommendations--not really. Then maybe Chris White's book the Cruising Multihull, 'Love for Sail' by Mark Hassall, 'Multihull Voyaging' Thomas Firth Jones
purvisgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 17:10   #45
lyl

Dear OP,

First thing first, I have zero experience, so feel free not to pay attention to my chit chat here. Ideally, I wanna sail a Hobie 16 on the lakes for a while and then hop in a Gemini 105MC when I'm ready. If you research 105MC a little, and if you live in the US, you might find it to be the best answer to your catamaran needs at a great price point.

Good luck, my friend!
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, hull