Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2013, 10:48   #1

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Multihull bridle attachment

I have a trimaran and currently carry a set of bridle lines when cruising. These have heavy duty Wichard stainless snap hooks at each end (rated 4400 lbs SWL). There are strong pad eyes for attaching them to the outer ends of each forward crossbeam.

When anchoring I use two short Dyneema loops with a Prussic knot to attach them to the rode. This setup works very well, is easy to attach and release... And is fairly idiot proof but takes time. The problem is my concern about if things go wrong, such as dragging (or someone else dragging).

I wouldn't be able to change scope quickly.

Has anyone solved that problem?
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 13:20   #2

Re: Multihull bridle attachment

It is my understanding that the Prussic knots "slide" easily. Maybe not as easily as letting out more rode but .....
keep me in the loop on this as I also anchor with a bridle and use a bowline in the bight to attach.
dale d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 15:07   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I have a trimaran and currently carry a set of bridle lines when cruising. These have heavy duty Wichard stainless snap hooks at each end (rated 4400 lbs SWL). There are strong pad eyes for attaching them to the outer ends of each forward crossbeam.

When anchoring I use two short Dyneema loops with a Prussic knot to attach them to the rode. This setup works very well, is easy to attach and release... And is fairly idiot proof but takes time. The problem is my concern about if things go wrong, such as dragging (or someone else dragging).

I wouldn't be able to change scope quickly.

Has anyone solved that problem?
Hi read Multihull Seamanship by Gavin LeSueur page 25 ,I use this a Rolling hitch onto the anchor rode or sea anchor shows you how to set up a bridle.Good book alround.
slipstreamcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 16:55   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstreamcat View Post
Hi read Multihull Seamanship by Gavin LeSueur page 25 ,I use this a Rolling hitch onto the anchor rode or sea anchor shows you how to set up a bridle.Good book alround.
Thanks for the tip but that's just a variation of what I'm already doing (my way is a better way, IMHO, because it's quicker and more idiot proof than a rolling hitch). A rolling hitch still takes time to tie/ release, must be brought up to do so, and doesn't allow for emergency rode length adjustments... so doesn't address the concern I wrote above.
Old 21-07-2013, 17:43   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
The issue if you need to do it quickly and/or the rode is loaded i(...and/or you are single handed...windlass is busted...all the above) is that you must first bring in rode, disconnect bride from rode, deploy more rode and then re attach bridle to rode. This is inconvenient and time consuming. Below are some techniques I have used which avoid this process (actually used not just read about).

1. Rig your bridle line(s) so that it is longer than you normally use ... Leaving some extra length that can be paid out if necessary...so you can just pay out more bridle and rode. This is the simplest option.

2. Hitch another line(s) to the shipboard end of your bridle to essentially create rig 1 above on the fly.

3. Disconnect shipboard end of bridle and hitch it to rode (so that it is not just floating free in the water to foul something), deploy more rode, rig bridle to this rode using a different line(s). This avoids the need to haul the bridle/rode up to disconnect...handy if conditions are a little sporty out.

Both Prusik's hitch and Rolling hitch can be moved along the rode, but must first be unloaded and then loosened a little (not untied ... Just loosened)...this can be a challenge in some circumstances.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 17:43   #6

A chain hook has its advantages
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 19:18   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
The issue if you need to do it quickly and/or the rode is loaded i(...and/or you are single handed...windlass is busted...all the above) is that you must first bring in rode, disconnect bride from rode, deploy more rode and then re attach bridle to rode. This is inconvenient and time consuming. Below are some techniques I have used which avoid this process (actually used not just read about).

1. Rig your bridle line(s) so that it is longer than you normally use ... Leaving some extra length that can be paid out if necessary...so you can just pay out more bridle and rode. This is the simplest option.

2. Hitch another line(s) to the shipboard end of your bridle to essentially create rig 1 above on the fly.

3. Disconnect shipboard end of bridle and hitch it to rode (so that it is not just floating free in the water to foul something), deploy more rode, rig bridle to this rode using a different line(s). This avoids the need to haul the bridle/rode up to disconnect...handy if conditions are a little sporty out.

Both Prusik's hitch and Rolling hitch can be moved along the rode, but must first be unloaded and then loosened a little (not untied ... Just loosened)...this can be a challenge in some circumstances.
I like your 3rd option. I think it would be easier to carry backup bridles than to handle extra long bridles every time. Also allows one to let out another hundred feet if needed. I would also need a different hull attachment for the bridle that would allow release while under load. Perhaps a beefy cleat. (Edit: or trigger release shackle).

Would very long bridles lose some effectiveness to keep the boat from sailing? I've never tried it, and would appreciate your input.
Old 21-07-2013, 19:24   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
A chain hook has its advantages
How does a chain hook address the question?
Old 21-07-2013, 19:27   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale d View Post
It is my understanding that the Prussic knots "slide" easily. Maybe not as easily as letting out more rode but .....
keep me in the loop on this as I also anchor with a bridle and use a bowline in the bight to attach.
Prussic knots only slide when not loaded. The stronger the pull, the stronger the grip. Never had the Prussic slip when it shouldn't. It's a well proven knot.
Old 21-07-2013, 21:13   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post

I like your 3rd option. I think it would be easier to carry backup bridles than to handle extra long bridles every time. Also allows one to let out another hundred feet if needed. I would also need a different hull attachment for the bridle that would allow release while under load. Perhaps a beefy cleat. (Edit: or trigger release shackle).

Would very long bridles lose some effectiveness to keep the boat from sailing? I've never tried it, and would appreciate your input.
Yes, if you want to let out a lot more rode then either repositiong the original bridle or rigging a new one is the most practical option.

I suspect that at some long length the geometry of a bridle would become less effective, but I've not run into this issue if just adding 20' or so.

My bridle ends terminate at large cleats so easing out a bit more rode/bridle is easy.

Bit different subject, but I have a friend who has the bitter ends of his bridle and rode terminated w large snap shackles...in case he needs to quickly let go all ground tackle (tie a fender to it first for later retrieval)...could be handy if another boat is dragging down on you.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 05:36   #11

We use a similar setup using a 40' dock line as the bridal. We just cleat it to the front cleats on our cat, so it doesn't take much time to put on or take off.
- Normally, we adjust by pulling in the anchor line and sliding the prussic up or down as needed.
- If we are in a rush to get out, I have just uncleated both ends and pulled up the anchor. The bridal comes up with the anchor line and it isn't long enough to reach the rudders or prop. Then as my wife motors out I can remove the bridal at my leisure.

We do have two bow rollers with anchors set up so in a pinch, we can deploy the other anchor.

Single handed or with an anchor winch, there would be other considerations.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 05:45   #12

the best solution seems to me to replace the bridle clips and bow eyes with spliced eyes in the bridle and cleats on the deck. As valhalla360 said, at least then you can slip the bridle off the cleats fairly quickly.

Short of going to chain, at which then you can use a heavy snap shackle or a chain hook which release far more quickly than a knot will
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 09:19   #13

Boat: PT-11

why even use spliced eyes. Just cleat it off and have a little excess. Then you can let it go if necessary even under strain.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 09:52   #14

We cleat it off. I can do that pretty much as fast as putting the loop over the cleat.

In addition to letting go under strain, I've had loops come off cleats before. When properly done cleating off isn't going to come off unless you want it off. It also makes it easier to adjust if you are trying to angle the boat when waves and wind don't match up.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:00   #15
Tri

Hi, this is another way to make a bridle for your trimaran using a bowline hitch in the main rope rode.

I do it the same way but just have a permanent shackle instead of a clipping one. My solution makes it more complicated but the permanent shackle has the higher breaking power (above 6 tons). The clipping ones typically only go to 2 tons.

Cheers,
Achim
Tri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bridle, multihull