Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2023, 08:14   #31

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: My Multihull Rigging Thread

I am underway on my way to the Rigger right now still 600 miles away. So I don’t have this handy while I’m at the helm at the moment.

i’m not sure why I need to go through all of that again when I have a world famous Rigger doing everything on the boat.

I am paying a fortune in good money for him to do a good job. I think he’ll be just fine won’t he?

I will get these figures out in a couple days when I have time somewhere. There are some storms coming so maybe I’ll be stuck in an Anchorage for a little bit.

I definitely can’t provide this while I’m at the helm
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 08:19   #32

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I am underway on my way to the Rigger right now still 600 miles away. So I don’t have this handy while I’m at the helm at the moment.

i’m not sure why I need to go through all of that again when I have a world famous Rigger doing everything on the boat.

I am paying a fortune in good money for him to do a good job. I think he’ll be just fine won’t he?

I will get these figures out in a couple days when I have time somewhere. There are some storms coming so maybe I’ll be stuck in an Anchorage for a little bit.

I definitely can’t provide this while I’m at the helm

I definitely expect the rigger to do a good job and give you a workable solution. Some of the details may come down to "what do you expect from the boat?" or "what conditions do you expect to use it in?" more than what's the "right" way to do it.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 08:28   #33
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

My recommendation: no boom for jib. Working sails as per designer but a little heavier on cloth choice (mostly done for 15kts wind, I would specify 18kts). Ask for a 3rd mainsail reef.

Then on a little sprit (for anchor or purposely built) a roller furling gennaker or whatever they call these, that can do beam to broad reach up to 15 kts.

I wouldn’t order more than that.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 09:54   #34

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
On the Bay down this way, I usually tack maybe once every 20 miles or so.

If you aren't buoy racing, no need for self tacking in most cases.
Lol. I'm in the upper Bay, where much of the Bay is under 5 miles wide, with lots of shoal water on the edges. I forgot about your part, where the Bay is 20 miles wide!

Not sure any race boat would ever be rigged for self tacking. The inability to control twist would be a killer. On our boat, the self tacker shape is horrible with wind angles over about 55-60 TWA -- maybe even less than that. It is brilliant upwind, but only upwind.

The size (about 95%) is wonderful, sailing jib alone into 40+ (and then it would need to be partially reefed). The self tacking is really sweet when beating up a river or channel with only a few hundred yards between tacks.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 10:07   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
The self tacking is really sweet when beating up a river or channel with only a few hundred yards between tacks.

That's the key. Self tacking isn't because it works better in many conditions. It's there to allow you sail in situations where you'd otherwise say "screw it, we'll just motor the last few miles".
Old 10-03-2023, 11:36   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
My recommendation: no boom for jib. Working sails as per designer but a little heavier on cloth choice (mostly done for 15kts wind, I would specify 18kts). Ask for a 3rd mainsail reef.

Then on a little sprit (for anchor or purposely built) a roller furling gennaker or whatever they call these, that can do beam to broad reach up to 15 kts.

I wouldn’t order more than that.

definitely. I can’t see having a boom up there. I don’t want that either.

so I have a mainsail (crappy triangle top, but I'll use it for now) and a blade jib that came with the rig. I already bought a symmetric spinnaker in an ATN sock.

that’s what I have to start with. I will be using that this summer. Testing everything out. Seeing what my sailing is normally like and just generally how I use the boat and how these sails work.

then when I pass by my Rigger again in the fall, I will have a list of things for him. Hopefully it’s a really short list.

Can’t wait to unveil who is doing the work once it’s complete.
Old 10-03-2023, 13:01   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
definitely. I can’t see having a boom up there. I don’t want that either.

so I have a mainsail (crappy triangle top, but I'll use it for now) and a blade jib that came with the rig. I already bought a symmetric spinnaker in an ATN sock.

that’s what I have to start with. I will be using that this summer. Testing everything out. Seeing what my sailing is normally like and just generally how I use the boat and how these sails work.

then when I pass by my Rigger again in the fall, I will have a list of things for him. Hopefully it’s a really short list.

Can’t wait to unveil who is doing the work once it’s complete.
A symmetric spinnaker? Are you going to have a spinnaker pole? Man, I would almost switch to a catamaran to get rid of that. You can set a glorious asymmetric or cruising chute just from a bow!

Old 10-03-2023, 13:37   #38

Quote:
A symmetric spinnaker? Are you going to have a spinnaker pole? Man, I would almost switch to a catamaran to get rid of that. You can set a glorious asymmetric or cruising chute just from a bow!
I have a 25 foot beam. I wouldn’t need a spinnaker pole. Lol

but symmetric is the one that one out in the thread.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ty-271807.html

My Rigger says I won’t like it and I will want an asymmetric.

He disagrees with the forum.
Old 11-03-2023, 05:07   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I have a 25 foot beam. I wouldn’t need a spinnaker pole. Lol

but symmetric is the one that one out in the thread.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ty-271807.html

My Rigger says I won’t like it and I will want an asymmetric.

He disagrees with the forum.
Ah yes, read the thread and agree. Your setup is like a monohull using two booms which is considered “cheating” and imagine all the work with two poles

I think your rigger considers a symmetrical to be too specialized but I find ourselves running dead downwind often as well so agree with the forum. It’s too easy. I also have a mizzen spinnaker that is an asymmetric and used two block and tackles like the bridle discussed in the other thread. They attach to the coamings that we have inside of the side decks. I just use a single tack line though, choosing which side and not gybing
It is an asymmetric spi in an ATN sock.

An advantage for a ketch is that you can just let the mizzen spinnaker go and the mainsail will catch it.

Old 11-03-2023, 05:24   #40

Quote:
Ah yes, read the thread and agree. Your setup is like a monohull using two booms which is considered “cheating” and imagine all the work with two poles

I think your rigger considers a symmetrical to be too specialized but I find ourselves running dead downwind often as well so agree with the forum. It’s too easy. I also have a mizzen spinnaker that is an asymmetric and used two block and tackles like the bridle discussed in the other thread. They attach to the coamings that we have inside of the side decks. I just use a single tack line though, choosing which side and not gybing
It is an asymmetric spi in an ATN sock.

An advantage for a ketch is that you can just let the mizzen spinnaker go and the mainsail will catch it.

same here. I can go pretty far off DDW with a symmetrical spinnaker.

i’m not seeing the problem yet. I think he is thinking I will be gybing my way downwind for maximum VMG.

I will be staying on one course to maximize RMG (Relaxation Made Good)

"Slow" on this boat is probably still going to be faster than any other boat I've owned.

But i’m not going to be trying to win any races. Unless Grit shows up. Ha ha ha.

Otherwise, the point of my boat is to have something nice to sail when I would otherwise be motoring on other boats. i’m sure it will be able to go faster gybing downwind with an asymmetrical. but I’m not doing all of that work.

I'm sailing to relax and enjoy it.
Old 11-03-2023, 05:42   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

i’m not seeing the problem yet. I think he is thinking I will be gybing my way downwind for maximum VMG.

"Slow" on this boat is probably still going to be faster than any other boat I've owned.

But i’m not going to be trying to win any races. Unless Grit shows up. Ha ha ha.

Otherwise, the point of my boat is to have something nice to sail when I would otherwise be motoring on other boats. i’m sure it will be able to go faster gybing downwind with an asymmetrical. but I’m not doing all of that work.

We have met Grit out there on the Bahama bank a couple years ago. Cats are the only boats that can keep up with us

Old 11-03-2023, 05:48   #42

Quote:
We have met Grit out there on the Bahama bank a couple years ago. Cats are the only boats that can keep up with us
Wow. I never looked closely at your boat model.

That's a nice lean machine with a ton of sail area.

I can see why you're fast. Not a lot of wetted surface area for so much boat and sail.
Old 11-03-2023, 06:24   #43

Quote:

I think that's the right approach. Plus, if you and the rigger leave some options open with how you install hardware, etc. you'll have some flexibility to change up the sail plan a little bit in the future if you want (such as different jibs, ability to fly an asym, etc.).
Old 11-03-2023, 06:46   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I think that's the right approach. Plus, if you and the rigger leave some options open with how you install hardware, etc. you'll have some flexibility to change up the sail plan a little bit in the future if you want (such as different jibs, ability to fly an asym, etc.).
This is a first draft. I fully plan to stop back in the fall to make some adjustments.

it’s a little different on a new boat.

for example you don’t just go right out and start sailing full tilt. You have to slowly build up to it. To make sure everything is correct. He already told me this.

I, nor many people on here probably have had that type of experience.

even buying a brand new production boat, typically all of that would be done ahead of time for you.

I had no idea that they slowly tested the rigs out looking for problems before they release them to the customers.

So there is a whole lot of room for changes. They would be made in the fall.
Old 11-03-2023, 06:52   #45

Quote:
This is a first draft. I fully plan to stop back in the fall to make some adjustments.

it’s a little different on a new boat.

for example you don’t just go right out and start sailing full tilt. You have to slowly build up to it. To make sure everything is correct. He already told me this.

I, nor many people on here probably have had that type of experience.

even buying a brand new production boat, typically all of that would be done ahead of time for you.

I had no idea that they slowly tested the rigs out looking for problems before they release them to the customers.

So there is a whole lot of room for changes. They would be made in the fall.

Oh yeah, you'll definitely find some things to tweak or improve once you get some use out of the boat. I'm thinking along the lines of hardware placement decisions (such as rigging for self tacking and regular jib lead tracks) that would give you more flexibility in what sails the rig can make use of. It won't save you from finding things to improve or fix after a bit of use, but it might save you coming back in a couple years when you decide you want to adjust the sail plan a bit (being that you already accounted for that possibility).

Tags
hull, multihull, rigging