Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2014, 11:48   #91

Boat: Various
Re: My "post mortem" from the Miami Boat Show

Scarlet

Listen, absorb, discard as appropriate.

You're doing right by researching, learning, and asking. But ultimately you must choose what is right for you. You asked for opinions and you're getting them. But some giving opinions will always make it sound like their way is the right way and the only way. There are a million different ways people enjoy boating. Sort through it carefully. Listen to those things that are most meaningful to you. If someone says the wouldn't have a particular boat because it's slower, only you know the importance or non-importance of speed to you. Only you know the stateroom layout you're comfortable in. I'm taller than average so head room is much more important to me than some.

Now, we are not sailors but power boat owners. However, I'll give some advice based on our experiences there which I think carries over. First, we heard so many opinions, some so dogmatic and strong. We sorted through them. We sorted through all the prejudices. Yes, opinions do reflect prejudice. Style of boat. Speed. Country of manufacture. Age. Price. We decided what was important to us. Then we tried some out to be sure what we thought we wanted was really what we wanted. Nothing like a few days on a boat to really show you. Was the best spent money ever as then when we decided to purchase we knew we would be happy. Also, if you're thinking of a specific boat, try to get opinions from those who have actually owned one or at least been on one. Not the person who owns another brand and has never been on it. One boat we heard from several who preferred another that it wasn't ocean going, we needed to get the brand they had. But we talked to many who owned it, including those who had crossed the Atlantic many times. Then we chartered one. At that point we knew it was what we wanted.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 11:49   #92

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by roetter View Post
My wife and I sail mostly alone on a Lagoon 450. The view from the fly bridge is the best seat in the house. Unless the weather is really crappy, we are both always on the fly bridge because we love it there. When the weather is really bad or during long overnight passages we operate the boat from the inside. We installed a second autopilot control at the nav station and in bad weather we are well reefed and the sails do not need attention. I always have a preventer on the main, unless we are really close hauled. The time we have to spend inside is far less than 1%. We are now sailing in the Bahamas.
I also love that boat.. and LOVE the fly bridge. I can visualize us sitting up there.. with the dogs.. having a drink, and sailing together. it's one of the few boats where a couple can be next to each other, enjoying the sail.. Most boats in our size range have a single helm seat.. one of the draws of this beautiful boat..
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 11:54   #93

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Scarlet

Now, we are not sailors but power boat owners.
Powerboat? What kind of range do you have on that. You mentioned that other's have done atlantic passages.. on a powerboat? I just want to make sure I was understanding you correctly. Could you elaborate?
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 16:56   #94

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
My wife and I sail mostly alone on a Lagoon 450. The view from the fly bridge is the best seat in the house. Unless the weather is really crappy, we are both always on the fly bridge because we love it there. When the weather is really bad or during long overnight passages we operate the boat from the inside. We installed a second autopilot control at the nav station and in bad weather we are well reefed and the sails do not need attention. I always have a preventer on the main, unless we are really close hauled. The time we have to spend inside is far less than 1%. We are now sailing in the Bahamas.
How does one see through the jib with the helm so high up?
Old 22-02-2014, 17:15   #95
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
How does one see through the jib with the helm so high up?

Even worse, how does one see through the screecher?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 17:38   #96

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcerdos View Post
Good luck with your search for a boat. Just as an FYI we found the Catamaran Company to be very misleading and somewhat pushy during our search for a boat. We opted for a mono-hull just because we both got seasick for the first time on a cat due to the unique motion. I personally liked the Lagoon models but didn't like the idea of the fly bridge. That is a long way to go to get to the helm quickly.
Never liked them either. But we love the fly bridge.
roetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 17:43   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcerdos View Post
I am glad you enjoy the view from the fly bridge. While that may work for you, I have sailed enough to know that set up would not be suitable for my needs. I prefer a helm station easier to reach and in close proximity to the rest of the boat. I also prefer not to leave the safety of the cockpit when at sea. And, I do not like to climb (unharnessed) to a fly bridge. Have you rigged a jack line to allow access to the fly bridge in rough seas? I could certainly understand you viewpoint while in the Bahamas but I do not see this as a viable option while in rough seas mid ocean at night. Just my 2 cents.
We crossed the Atlantic and the Bay of Biscay, both in pretty rough weather. The Med can be tough too during Meltemi. Never an issue with the fly ridge and safety. There are enough hand holds, I added an extra one. I really rough weather we have our harness and jack lines.
Old 22-02-2014, 17:47   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Even worse, how does one see through the screecher?
Just take a few steps to one side and then the other on the fly bridge and you have a full 360. By the way on my mono I can see through the genoa either. Have to move down to the other side on a 30 heel and then climb up again. Many bruises tell that story.
Old 22-02-2014, 17:51   #99

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Just take a few steps to one side and then the other on the fly bridge and you have a full 360. By the way on my mono I can see through the genoa either. Have to move down to the other side on a 30 heel and then climb up again. Many bruises tell that story.
I didn't realize it was wide enough. Thanks.

The ones I see as the worst problem are the raised helms of a lot of the 40 ftrs that seem popular.
Old 22-02-2014, 18:19   #100
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

My concern is one of raising CoE ever higher? Not the end of the world, but an issue to be considered nevertheless. For the same sail area the CoE has to be significantly higher
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat show, miami, miami boat show