Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2023, 09:26   #1

Nanni 4.38 with Kubota base

Hello all! Looking for Part Number cross reference between Nanni and Kubota. Nothing online and Nanni factory no help. Trying to get parts from Kubota direct and they require their part numbers. See a problem? lol

I can’t be the only one in this boat…

Thanks in advance!

Thomas
SV Kontiki
Sandstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 10:45   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Nanni 4.38 with Kubota base

My tactic has been to find images of the parts and match them. Often different sources even use the same photograph. So, a $1,200 Westerbeke M25 starter is a Kubota tractor starter for $62 from Amazon. It's a game based on the understanding that Nanni and others didn't manufacture from scratch - they took components off the industrial shelf.

Best of luck with it.
Old 02-05-2023, 11:59   #3

Boat: Soon: Vision 444

Hey Thomas, I'm guessing that Kubota doesn't publish parts catalogs that the public can find and use. This makes it pretty difficult! The Nanni is based on a Kubota V1505, so there are some old parts lists and workshop manuals available. However they will not match your engines 100% so use them at your own risk. The parts numbers will be old, but it will at least get you talking the same language as the dealers when you call them.

Parts List:
http://manuals.minutemanintl.net/Pow..._STAR_0514.pdf

Workshop manual:
https://media.toro.com/servicemanuals/Kubota05-E3B.pdf
jaredko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 01:52   #4

Boat: Outremer 55L

Your Nanni engine will have a Kubota information plate on it, which will give you the engine model number (our Nanni 4.150HE has the Kubota V1505 engine). From there you should be able to find the individual part numbers. Or get the Nanni spare parts catalogue - that has all the Nanni part numbers for all the components. The Nanni instruction manual for your engine has all the spare part numbers.

Try an industrial small engine mechanic that works on tractors. They won’t be able to help with your cooling system but all the rest will be the same.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 04:49   #5

Boat: Mirage 35

Not sure that somebody who works on tractors can help. I found the Kubota name plate on mine, took the information to my local Kubota farm equipment dealer, and was told "that's from the marine division - they won't give us information or let us sell parts for those."

The one thing I had was a cross-reference for the oil filter, and the Kubota part number seems to change every time I buy one, which also makes me nervous.
Old 03-05-2023, 05:16   #6

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredko View Post
Hey Thomas, I'm guessing that Kubota doesn't publish parts catalogs that the public can find and use. This makes it pretty difficult! The Nanni is based on a Kubota V1505, so there are some old parts lists and workshop manuals available. However they will not match your engines 100% so use them at your own risk. The parts numbers will be old, but it will at least get you talking the same language as the dealers when you call them.

Parts List:
http://manuals.minutemanintl.net/Pow..._STAR_0514.pdf

Workshop manual:
https://media.toro.com/servicemanuals/Kubota05-E3B.pdf
Actually the Kubota is catalogs are easily available. The problem is the marketing agreements with Westerbeke/Universal and probably Nanni as well prevent them from cross referencing for you. Even if they know the correct part number they're not allowed to tell you. Also Kubota's part search system is based on the tractor or equipment model number, not the engine number. That doesn't really make sense as the same engine may be used in a dozen different machines and they have separate catalogs for each of them.
I've had two Kubota based Universal engines, a 5411 and a M25. The 5411 was a Kubota Z500 used in the B5100 tractor and the M25 was a D850 used in the B6100 tractor as I recall. I got my parts from the local Kubota shop or eBay with those search criteria. Sourcing from Westerbeke was up to 10 times the cost. The same would be true with the Nanni of you can figure out what equipment the base engine was used in. That was easy on the 5411 as it had "Z500" stamped on the dipstick. The engine number should be stamped somewhere, a common spot of just above or below the injection pump. Likely covered over in thick paint, you may need to do some grinding to find it. Comparing the number of cylinders, HP, and rpms to Kubota models will narrow it down. The crossover info is available for Universal as there are thousands of them out there but I've never seen anything for Nanni.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kubota, Mono hull, multi-hull, nanni