Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2017, 06:38   #121

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41
Re: Nautitech Open 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelliott View Post
Ps....ill probably take my Bavaria symbol of and replace with nautitech!! Think Bavaria are missing a trick by not expanding the Nautitech brand more in the same way lagoon and beneteau did
Agreed! I just realized I have yet another question! Did you ever get caught in storms or bad weather and how did you deal with the outside helms? You can’t be inside all the time!

Thx,
Lee
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 21:09   #122

Boat: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainmaker View Post
Hi Gelliott

How are you enjoying and have you found the Open 40 after a few seasons now ?? Interested in your thoughts, I just have looked at a Fly 46 and really like that, and the absence of the wheels after either side ... and of course the space and view up there and the improved feel with two open sterns, for traffic around and in/out of the boat.

look forward to your thoughts
FWIW, when I was at the Cannes show, the rep said the 46 Fly suffered noticeably vs 40/46 Open. Boom height was very high. I walked both boats, along with the other MFGs and agreed that the fit and finish was at the higher end for the major players. Lagoon being lowest. We are torn between N40 Open or Lucia 40. (Or used Helia..). I am not yet sold on twin helms either, I suspect you would only really know after extensive use and experience in all weather.
Brav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 14:50   #123

Boat: LAGOON 400

so, why ARC Nautitech open 40 at pretty much in line with Lagoon 400 ? I thought is several tons lighter and more sails and all these videos ...

Or is everyone motoring ?

???
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 15:16   #124
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
so, why ARC Nautitech open 40 at pretty much in line with Lagoon 400 ? I thought is several tons lighter and more sails and all these videos ...

???

Or maybe just one of them is motoring?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 15:19   #125

Quote:

???
Given the excited commentary in earlier posts, you would think it would be up there with the TS42.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 15:28   #126

Boat: O45 ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
Given the excited commentary in earlier posts, you would think it would be up there with the TS42.
Unless loaded for cruising

Rob
Multihull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 17:56   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihull View Post
Unless loaded for cruising

Rob
all boats are loaded for cruising including TS 42. they are cruising boats and not bay warriors.

TS42, having 2 x more sails per ton of weight than lagoon 400, one would expect less difference except if really sailed full on with a team. Still they need food and water.

Nautitech open 40, is much closer to TS 42 in sail area so should do bit better.

Or TS 42 is really some sort of break thru.
Old 01-12-2017, 20:58   #128
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:

???
That result replicates the performance of the Nautitech 40 at WAGS in Brisbane, and at Airlie and Hammo Race week. They certainly, regularly and consistently fail to meet the hype.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 15:15   #129

TS 42 site, as for the last schematic picture of people in the interior - hmm - not sure about the engine under the bunk, among other things

Catamaran TS42 - Chantiers Marsaudon Composites
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 15:32   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
TS 42 site, as for the last schematic picture of people in the interior - hmm - not sure about the engine under the bunk, among other things

Catamaran TS42 - Chantiers Marsaudon Composites
1.6 m draft is not ideal as well.

for this type of performance, I could compromise. Pretty sure could sell it to my wife as well.
Old 15-03-2018, 12:40   #131

Hi to all you Nautitech Owners. I am a newcomer to CruisersForum and a catamaran owner wantobe. My wife and I are selling the homestead up in Massachusetts in the spring and plan on pulling the trigger on our dream liveaboard preowned Cat right after. I have researched many, many of the production cats out there, visited them at the boat shows and I feel I have come up with a short list of the cats that would fit our needs. With the Nautitech being one of the tops on that list. We are looking for something in the 40-47 range.

I have come across a 2008 Nautitech 40, Owners and wanted to get some feedback. Tough to find reviews on these boats as you see most are of the Open 40. If anyone is finishing up their cruising life or knows of something coming up in late spring, early summer please PM me. I appreciate it.
swpalmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 22:57   #132

Boat: Nautitech 40 (2005)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swpalmer1 View Post
Hi to all you Nautitech Owners. I am a newcomer to CruisersForum and a catamaran owner wantobe. My wife and I are selling the homestead up in Massachusetts in the spring and plan on pulling the trigger on our dream liveaboard preowned Cat right after. I have researched many, many of the production cats out there, visited them at the boat shows and I feel I have come up with a short list of the cats that would fit our needs. With the Nautitech being one of the tops on that list. We are looking for something in the 40-47 range.

I have come across a 2008 Nautitech 40, Owners and wanted to get some feedback. Tough to find reviews on these boats as you see most are of the Open 40. If anyone is finishing up their cruising life or knows of something coming up in late spring, early summer please PM me. I appreciate it.
I've owned a 2004 Nautitech 40 for 5 years. The 2008 version was a minor upgrade but basically the same. I won't start a new debate here about exposed helms etc, but I've made a number of significant modifications which might interest you if you buy. Please PM me first.
chris in SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 14:07   #133

Boat: Nautitech Open 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in SG View Post
I've owned a 2004 Nautitech 40 for 5 years. The 2008 version was a minor upgrade but basically the same. I won't start a new debate here about exposed helms etc, but I've made a number of significant modifications which might interest you if you buy. Please PM me first.
Hi,
I repaired a 2016 Nautitech Open 40 which suffered significant damage from Hurricane Irma.
I was never able to order parts from Nautitech or its dealers. Slow response, no response.
I would like to hear the modifications that you have made.
cmartine97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:34   #134

Boat: Nautitech 40 (2005)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartine97 View Post
Hi,
I repaired a 2016 Nautitech Open 40 which suffered significant damage from Hurricane Irma.
I was never able to order parts from Nautitech or its dealers. Slow response, no response.
I would like to hear the modifications that you have made.
Congratulations on saving the yacht. I wonder what damage was sustained and which 'parts' you were hoping to source from Nautitech. I was assisted by the UK Nautitech dealer to contact the yard for records of the first owner when I was changing registration and needed a full 'paper trail' of ownership. They were helpful with this. I have never considered sourcing parts from the manufacturer.

It seems to me that every manufacturer these days basically has the skills to undertake the GRP work, interior structure/finish and stainless fabrication. Everything else is provided by well-known brand suppliers (Yanmar, Zspars, Lewmar, Quick, Harken, Jefa, etc). All of these suppliers are more easily approachable for spares and replacements than the yacht manufacturer. Hence my query about the particular parts you needed.

Just to be clear, my Nautitech 40 is the previous generation and it was 10 years old when I started work with an angle grinder on the interior. Somehow it's easier to start hacking when the boat isn't brand new. Perhaps you feel the same, after a salvage job. I have converted the nav table into a top loading freezer; built a forward facing nav station with duplicate autopilot (for shelter from the sun); converted one cabin into laundry/workshop. I can send photos but none of these would be directly relevant to the latest open40 design.
chris in SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:19   #135

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Last summer we chartered a Nautitech Open 40, Year 2016, for a few weeks. I really like that boat. Very nice sailing single and double handed. Nice layout, modern interior style and good functionality.

We were only 2, so the boat stayed light and was doing 7-8 kts in 20 kts TWS on a beam reach with the standard head sail and main.

The exposed helm position had its advantages in tight areas were motoring is required. Easy docking, very responsive and controllable at the pier.

Picking up a mooring ball was required in many national park areas (anchoring not allowed in many places in SE Asia - and no option anyway over coralls). From the aft helm position it was very easy to pick up the ball/mooring line single handed, when approaching the ball, shifting the line cleat by cleat to a prepared bridle.

Another advantage: Helm, Salon and Cockpit at one level. We do SCUBA a lot (one cabin is reserved for 15-20 12 Liter tanks which i always get from a friends diving school/base in Thailand). Not having many steps to go up and down helps alot while taking that gear in and out of storrage...

What i did not like: Helm has no protection at all. And we were in very shittie weather. Lots of squalls, gusts up to 35kts and a very "ambitious" seastate ;-) You are just wet all the times at the helm station...

Main halyard is at the mast, not at the helm station. I prefer all lines to the helm...

The quality of the interior wood work was not good. The boat was only 3 years old, and neglegting charterers had left their marks all over the place.

The light switches were "strange". Many different styles and designs. Soft touch switch, hard switch, two way switch and the regular switch in the salon. To me it looked like they were running out of a switch then they changed to another design and so on... The two way switches looking like 5cts part from home depot. That should not go into a 1/2 Million $$ Cat.

The laminat in shower area separated everywhere from the base due to leaking hatches.
The fittings in head and shower were badly corroded and really DONE and in need of replacement.

The Charter Company was not able to get rid of a very bad smell in the toiletts. They tried before we got the boat, but the situation remained during our charter.

Davits not really well thought through. I love the horizontal davits on the Lagoons though. Due to high seas the dinghi got punched around a lot. We lifted up the dinghi all the way, but needed some aditional lines to prevent it from flipping over.

We got the 4 cabin 2 head version. If you are over 250lbs, you will not have a nice time in the heads... ;-) you could call it a PITA... LOL

However, i still like the Open 40. The cons are in many cases minor and cosmetical or can be changed by myself. The Open 40 is still in my ballpark :-)

John