Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2019, 21:15   #1

Boat: 32' sail
Need help identifying this Brownie's Third Lung

Just Bought a vintage Brownie's Third Lung Hookah compressor. Want to get rebuild kit for it, but can not find any model number for reference. I contacted Brownie's SALES, sent them a picture of compressor, and all they could tell me was it was built some time in the late 1970s. Brownie's person I talked to stated he contacted factory, and factory said they have no records of the unit, no parts list, or pictures. I am not sure how he knew the unit was built in the late 1970s, but had no records or pictures of same unit.
So, does anyone recognize this Brownie's Hookah compressor?

Thanks
Randy Sumner
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	187822   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l16003.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	187823  

randy sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 20:23   #2

NEED HELP FINDING MODEL NUMBER OF THIRD LUNG HOOKAH

Just Bought a vintage Brownie's Third Lung Hookah compressor. Want to get rebuild kit for it, but can not find any model number for reference. I contacted Brownie's SALES, sent them a picture of compressor, and all they could tell me was it was built some time in the late 1970s. Brownie's person I talked to stated he contacted factory, and factory said they have no records of the unit, no parts list, or pictures. I am not sure how he knew the unit was built in the late 1970s, but had no records or pictures of same unit.

Thanks
Randy Sumner
Attached Thumbnails
Old 13-03-2019, 05:26   #3

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48
Re: NEED HELP FINDING MODEL NUMBER OF THIRD LUNG HOOKAH

our Third Lung doesn"t look like that but giving your post a bump anyway.

Cheers,)
Old 14-03-2019, 04:34   #4

Need help identifying this Brownie's Third Lung

Thanks
Randy Sumner
Attached Thumbnails
Old 14-03-2019, 04:57   #5

Thanks for reply jdazey. You mentioned that your Third Lung does not look like the one I have in picture. Was yours built in the late 1970s?
I contacted Brownie's SALES, sent them a picture of compressor, and all they could tell me was it was built some time in the late 1970s. Brownie's person I talked to stated he contacted factory, and factory said they have no records of the unit, no parts list, or pictures. I am not sure how he knew the unit was built in the late 1970s, since factory has no records or pictures of same unit. I asked the Brownie's sales person (name Dean) if he was sure mine was a Brownie's built in the 1970's, giving that the factory has no records. I asked him Monday, now Thursday, and no reply from him (Dean).
So at this point I am thinking it might not be a early built Brownie's at all.
So I was hoping to find someone knowledgeable of the Brownie's from of the 1970 lineage.
I emailed Brownie's again this morning. But I really do not expect a reply. In the earlier messaging with Brownie's, I always got the feeling they were really wanting to talk about their newer systems.
Randy Sumner
Old 14-03-2019, 07:31   #6

Our 3rd Lung dates from 1995. It's wnclosed in a shallow black box mounted in a lazerette. Again no help here other than keeping your request visible.

Cheers,p
Old 14-03-2019, 07:44   #7

jdazey, thank you so much.
Randy
Old 16-03-2019, 01:32   #8

Thanks
Randy Sumner
Attached Thumbnails
Old 16-03-2019, 07:46   #9
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

You think you are going find a rebuild kit for a compressor that is undoubtedly decades out of production? Not likely.

That said, if I had to guess I'd say it looks like a Thomas Sprayit compressor. Maybe that will help your search.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 21:45   #10

Good advice on the Thomas6 Sprayit suggestion. Earlier today I thought same thing, so spent about 3 hours sesrching on net. No luck.
I am currently looking up old Dental pumps.
Randy
Old 17-03-2019, 08:05   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
You think you are going find a rebuild kit for a compressor that is undoubtedly decades out of production? Not likely.

That said, if I had to guess I'd say it looks like a Thomas Sprayit compressor. Maybe that will help your search.
Fstbttms;
Your input on the compressor looking like a Thomas Sprayit, was right ON. I went back and took anothet look at all the images of vintage Thomas compressors, and found a match with the Thomas Sprayit 1500-1 compressor. Then I found the following tidbit of information:

"the compressor units that are being sold now, specifically the direct drive, were not pioneered or started by Brownies, they were started in the hookah field by sink. Brownies came out with the same thing a few months down the road. In fact, sink, just like super snorkel out of florida and brownies, were using the Thomas compressors for this."

So it looks like I probably DO have an early Brownie's Third-Lung, compressor built by Thomas compressors. The one I have now is working fine, just wanted a means of repair in the future while away from US waters. I am finding that there are quite a few Thomas Sprayit 1500-1 compressors for sell on the net, for around $100 or less. Some in mint shape. So if I can not find a repair kit, or kit too expensive, I will buy an extra 1500-1 as backup to the current one I am using now.
Thanks
Old 17-03-2019, 08:18   #12

Re: Need help identifying this Brownie's Third Lung

Jdazey;
FYI
Thought you might like to know what I have found out about my Hookah system, with help from others.

"the compressor units that are being sold now, specifically the direct drive, were not pioneered or started by Brownies, they were started in the hookah field by sink. Brownies came out with the same thing a few months down the road. In fact, sink, just like super snorkel out of florida and brownies, were using the Thomas compressors for this."

So it looks like I probably DO have an early Brownie's Third-Lung. The compressor, built by Thomas compressors, model SprayIt 1500-1. My compressor has all the labels stating it is a Brownie's Third-Lung system. Just wanted to make sure, for future reference. The one I have now is working fine, just wanted a means of repair in the future while away from US waters. I am finding that there are quite a few Thomas Sprayit 1500-1 compressors for sell on the net, for around $100 or less. Some in mint shape. So if I can not find a repair kit, or kit too expensive, I will buy an extra 1500-1 as a backup to the current one I am using now.
Thanks for your help
Randy Sumner
Old 17-03-2019, 15:13   #13

Re: Need help identifying this Brownie's Third Lung

Fascinating info on the history of hookahs. Good luck on finding parts.

Cheers,

Tags
model