Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2016, 12:15   #1

Boat: Leopard 44
Need recommendations for buyer's broker ...

My wife and I have just sold our home and are preparing to buy a boat for living aboard and cruising. We've already learned a lot from this forum and would now appreciate recommendations from all of you for a good buyer's broker. We have training and charter experience but this will be our first boat purchase so we need someone who we can trust and who can educate us on the whole process.

We're looking for a 2 to 5 year old production catamaran around 44 feet. We're open to boats on the East or West Coast of the US as well as the Caribbean or Mexico.

We appreciate your advise.
4DeltaRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 12:29   #2

Re: Need recommendations for buyer's broker ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DeltaRomeo View Post
My wife and I have just sold our home and are preparing to buy a boat for living aboard and cruising. We've already learned a lot from this forum and would now appreciate recommendations from all of you for a good buyer's broker. We have training and charter experience but this will be our first boat purchase so we need someone who we can trust and who can educate us on the whole process.

We're looking for a 2 to 5 year old production catamaran around 44 feet. We're open to boats on the East or West Coast of the US as well as the Caribbean or Mexico.

We appreciate your advise.

PM sent

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 00:06   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

We talked to more than one broker before we bought SoulMates -- but then we met Ted Novakowski of SoundYachts in Westbrook Ct. -- He really took his time with us and as we knew not a lot about boats he spent an entire day with us taking apart 5 different boats to teach us how to look at a boat and what is the difference between a high end boat and low end boat and a middle of the road boat. When he suggested we start with a smaller boat and upgrade before we retired I went over the finances with him and my age and he agreed and helped us find a boat for us. He listened to us and worked with us for maybe 2+ years.
He found a brand new Jeanneau DS40 that we wanted at an incredible price. As the years have passed he has continued to be our unofficial advisor. Ted just did not sell us a boat he sold us a world class boat that if things did not work out he could sell fairly easily.
That was over 13 years ago and probably 30,000nm and who knows how many countries ago.
And Ted sell Lagoons so should be a great source for what you are looking for.
NO we do not get anything from this - if someone does a great job for us we spread the word - if they do a lousy job we spread the word.

Sound Yachts
48 Hammock Road South
Westbrook, CT 06498, USA
Tel (860) 399-9500
Fax (860) 399-9501
ted@soundyachting.com.

good luck -- hope you do as well as we did
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 12:05   #4

Boat: 45

I have talked with about 6-8 different ones, met some at Annapolis boat show last fall, etc. By a pretty fair margin I've been most comfortable with Steven Cockcroft from catamaranguru.com his email is stephen@catamaranguru.com

I've been looking on and off for more than a year. He has been exceptionally patient with me. He took the time to find out what I wanted and sends me leads when appropriate. With separation and divorce in the middle of the process, he even leaves me alone when I'm not actively looking. If something dead on comes up he remembers my lists and sends me info. I'd say he is as conscientious as any I've met. I have met him face to face and will use him when I do finally find the right one as my buyers broker.

No reservations.

Scott / Both Feet
BothFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 00:41   #5

Location: Brisbane after cruising (Atlantic -> Med -> Carib -> Pacific)
Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners

If you are looking for a multihull broker who is also an experienced multihull cruiser and sailor - then I would highly recommend Derek Escher in Tiverton RI, who I think is now working independently as a buyers broker. He helped us buy our first catamaran many years ago, which we then cruised for 4 years from Boston to the Med to Australia with our kids.
mark_morwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 12:02   #6

I am watching this thread with interest. I have been looking around online at various different choices in the 44-48 ft range trying to figure out what works for me. I was planning on going to the Miami Boat show but ran out of time on a work project and work won out over boat shopping.

So my next opportunity is Le Grande Motte in April. Not the best time for me work wise to take a week in the south of France.

I configured a Leopard online, actually two, the 44 and the 48. I get a very nice email from a Leopard sailsman extollingthe vvirtue of the Leopard 44. And what do you know, they have an owners version coming in the fall. Would I like more details? Sure, I say, it's a bit early for me but let's see what's on offer.

And that's it. Nothing more. No emails. No answers to voicemail left. I tried to speak with a FP broker as well. Sent an email introducing myself, ask for some contact info, even called the number I found online. Nothing.

Makes me want to simply spend the money and buy a used Antares. Everything I read and hear is they value every client, new or used, and they stand behind their product.

So if I can find a broker to help me out, one that actually follows up, it might be the miracle I am looking for.
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men