Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2017, 03:12   #31

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning
Re: Neel 51

GBR have you looked at this whole thread? After reading it and seeing the shocking videos I can't imagine ever buying a boat made by Neel or anyone associated with him. Neel's workmanship is claimed to have nearly killed 2 people from CO, in addition to a near sinking. Do yourself a favor, research this owners experience with the boat, and if true, RUN!

Best wishes to you in your quest.
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 03:28   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Has anyone written to NEEL and asked them about the issues cited here and for their side of the story?

CF is steering clear of legal implications. It has nothing to do with us and the information posted here is SOLELY the viewpoint of the poster.

Our advice is to listen to all viewpoints and experiences, but DO NOT make judgments until both sides have commented...

mod
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 03:40   #33

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning

I certainly agree with Weavis. I just am shocked by the claimed experience and only want GBR to go forward with all information available. What is worse than the claimed poor workmanship is the CLAIMED cavalier attitude of Neel management to a near CO death incident. (This is close to the heart; as a 25 year fire fighter I have seen the needless tragedy of CO death many times. All preventable by a $30 detector.)
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 06:46   #34

All boats built in Europe must comply with the small craft directive. To a large part compliance is demonstrated by compliance with the appropriate EN standards. Plus quality assurance of the materials and build quality. Assuming that your boat is a category B ie designed and built for offshore passages then if I remember correctly there should also be an independent oversite of the quality aspects. From what I have read there may be questions on the boats compliance with the directive. I would suggest that you get a good French marine lawer and a full inspection by a notifiable body (make sure it is not the same notifiable body the builder uses). Then take it from there.
Soton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 07:14   #35

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

The utility room and engine space have me drooling! Much nicer than their first boats I saw in Annapolis and a serious contender to most cats.

Matt
Old 23-04-2017, 11:45   #36
gbr

Boat: Balance 526

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
The utility room and engine space have me drooling! Much nicer than their first boats I saw in Annapolis and a serious contender to most cats.

Matt
Yes, the engine room and storage is amazing, and you could work on any of the systems more easily than any other sailing boat of that size (IMHO)

I have read all of the thread, and I did put the questions to Eric, and he did explain what went wrong with that boat. I'm not going to defend anyone here, but it does look like quality has improved.

Maybe a little test sail is in order...
gbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 12:15   #37

Can I go?
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 18:54   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbr View Post
Yes, the engine room and storage is amazing, and you could work on any of the systems more easily than any other sailing boat of that size (IMHO)

I have read all of the thread, and I did put the questions to Eric, and he did explain what went wrong with that boat. I'm not going to defend anyone here, but it does look like quality has improved.

I have a bridge i would like to sell you
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 19:10   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbr View Post

I dont understand this statement.
"What went wrong with that boat".

If something went wrong, and unless there are extenuating circumstances or a discounted sale....THEN THE BOAT NEEDS TO BE PUT RIGHT.

Or have we reached a point in boat building where the customer will be palmed off with any old tosh?

There are no quiet acknowlegements of acceptance of faults by the manufacturer allowed...........just action.

I am going off your comments here because there is still no PUBLIC response from NEEL regarding the issues with the vessel.

This situation is an Albatross around NEELs reputation. Confidence needs restoring in the product.

Old 23-04-2017, 20:08   #40

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I dont understand this statement.
"What went wrong with that boat".

If something went wrong, and unless there are extenuating circumstances or a discounted sale....THEN THE BOAT NEEDS TO BE PUT RIGHT.

Or have we reached a point in boat building where the customer will be palmed off with any old tosh?

There are no quiet acknowlegements of acceptance by the manufacturer allowed...........just action.

I am going off your comments here because there is still no PUBLIC response from NEEL regarding the issues with the vessel.

This situation is an Albatross around NEELs reputation. Confidence needs restoring in the product.

Thank you Weavis for speaking up

This would be a good example of when a prospective owner would be well advised to get a pre-delivery survey done by a very diligent surveyor who ensures that electrical wiring standards are upheld, all equipment works, through hulls and seacocks are accessible, etc ad nauseum.

The final payment, or better yet, a larger bond, to be contingent on all defects being rectified.

That would be better than an owner dying of CO poisoning in the middle of the night, for example.
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 20:13   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
...because there is still no PUBLIC response from NEEL regarding the issues with the vessel.
I have to agree with this. I would expect response with explanation no matter what. It's impossible to assume Neel doesn't know about these videos. Than what? They don't care? Just wow then.
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 22:38   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In making my comments above, I think the design and performance of the NEEL 45 are amazing. I have been aboard the marque and LIKE it very much.

However, customers come first. Without customers the NEEL has no future. Customers need to be taken care of and WHATEVER the problem, if it involves the manufacture and installation of equipment aboard the vessel.. THAT need to be addressed.

1/. IF.... and I do not know, IF NEEL is remiss on some issues, just fix it.
2/. IF... and I do not know, IF there are no extenuating circumstances, then rectify the situation.
3/. IF.... and I do not know, IF it is NOT NEELS fault or problem, then discuss with the customer and make him a happy customer to the best of abilities.

At the very least, the company needs to acknowledge the communication between themselves and the customer publically, and present their side of the story and make a statement.

The NEEL marque is a good design.

I know that BECAUSE OF THIS incident and lack of resolution, two definite sales have been lost on the 51.

That is bad business Eric... it may NOT be your fault but not fixing the issue is.

Old 24-04-2017, 10:32   #43

Boat: Pogo 10,50
Neel 51

Many famous brands have acted like that on "failed boats", even being responsible they left the owner to his own fate. Yet it went through no problem. Maybe also a trial is going on thus no information is being disclosed

It also appears that Eric would rather talk with individual, serious customers rather than making a public announcement, which would turn off even more potential buyers who never knew about the issue
CbroTheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 14:58   #44

Boat: Dreaming

I'll just leave this here....
GaryJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 18:03   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryJones View Post

I'll just leave this here....
from that view the 51 appears to be some sort of bastardized catamaran, one with a really big nacelle.
Anyone else feel that when moderately heeled the underwing clearance is too small?
UpOnStands is offline   Reply With Quote