Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2017, 17:20   #121

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: NEW 47? ok, nice, but what's the diff' ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
We have sold 9 catamarans and only 3 had Ac. All but one, which had Ac, sold quickly. Most people who are able to afford a catamaran are also intelligent enough to realize it's an easy addition.
AC is and easy install on small catamarans with white gel coat interiors.
On larger 45+ foot catamarans that have 6 AC units their is NO EASY INSTALL.
6 AC units fitted and installed.
6 AC units wired to breakers.
Platforms in the bilges to hold each pump.
Sea strainers and fittings for each unit.
Hoses to each pump snaked through the boat.
Drain hoses for condensate out to drains.
March pumps installed and wired.
Thru-hulls drilled and installed and plumbed.
6 Thermostats installed and wired through out the boat.

Is this your idea of and easy addition ???????????
Old 17-04-2017, 17:22   #122

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
Quote: "I guess down under dictionary is different from the real one."

I call that blatant trolling of the first order.

You may want to believe that. I need you to realize that the down under version is the original and correct version, everything else is just a Northern Hemisphere construct.

You need to understand that down under is now up top. In this the era when South is the new North, what more proof could you want .

You missed the emoticon
Old 17-04-2017, 17:38   #123

Quote:"You missed the emoticon"

I am and a little currently on my and forgot that some nations have a problem with irony. I am such a without the moticoniy thing it may well be in cheek but not perceived that way by others .

for pointing out the error of my ways. Some might think you are but to some one by these little pictograms it must be very important. Stay and keep :smil ing:

Old 17-04-2017, 17:45   #124
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Old 17-04-2017, 18:23   #125
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post

Nope, that's my idea of pure hell. I don't want and will never want the maintenance and headaches of an inefficient marine AC in any boat of mine. Six air conditioners in a 45' boat? That's six more sources of water intrusion and sinking.
Old 17-04-2017, 18:26   #126
smj

Quote:

Dude, buy a beach front condo, it will have 3 times the space and the ability to be serviced with one air conditioner.[emoji13]
Old 17-04-2017, 18:44   #127

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Dude, buy a beach front condo, it will have 3 times the space and the ability to be serviced with one air conditioner.[emoji13]
DUDE, why would we want a snobby beach front condo when we own our own movable island.

Our movable Island makes its own water, power, AC, heat and cooks its own food.

DUDE, we are not living in a little gel-coat plastic raft anymore.

DUDE, we have 3 fridges and 3 Stoves and 3 staterooms and 3 heads and 3 showers and a dinghy that plains with 6 people on-board.

DUDE, this is a Movable Island.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Helia 44.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	370.1 KB
ID:	145689  
Old 17-04-2017, 19:03   #128
smj

Quote:
DUDE, why would we want a snobby beach front condo when we own our own movable island.

Our movable Island makes its own water, power, AC, heat and cooks its own food.

DUDE, we are not living in a little gel-coat plastic raft anymore.

DUDE, we have 3 fridges and 3 Stoves and 3 staterooms and 3 heads and 3 showers and a dinghy that plains with 6 people on-board.

DUDE, this is a Movable Island.

Dude, that's a movable maintenance headache. I like to rule the boat not let the boat rule me.........dude
PS, you must have the first sailboat that cooks its own food, would that be a diesel maker?[emoji13]
Glad your enjoying your new Island and out of your little Mahe gel-coat plastic raft[emoji106]🏻
Old 17-04-2017, 19:17   #129

Depends on your skill and energy level. Some will find maintaining a ~50' cat outside their comfort zone, others find it easy.

Quote:
Dude, that's a movable maintenance headache. I like to rule the boat not let the boat rule me.........dude
PS, you must have the first sailboat that cooks its own food, would that be a diesel maker?[emoji13]
Glad your enjoying your new Island and out of your little Mahe gel-coat plastic raft[emoji106]🏻
Old 17-04-2017, 19:24   #130
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holbrook View Post
Depends on your skill and energy level. Some will find maintaining a ~50' cat outside their comfort zone, others find it easy.

The boat or size boat is not the issue, it's the extra systems that constantly breaks in the marine environment. Remember the saying, cruising is going from one port to another fixing what was broken. Been there done that, fully capable of maintaining any system on a boat but not what I choose to do with my time cruising. If it's something someone enjoys, then good on them!
Old 17-04-2017, 19:40   #131

I been there and done that too but my "extra" systems didn't constantly breakdown. Researching and buying quality helps. Sounds like you have been very unlucky and left jaded. Cheers

Quote:
The boat or size boat is not the issue, it's the extra systems that constantly breaks in the marine environment. Remember the saying, cruising is going from one port to another fixing what was broken. Been there done that, fully capable of maintaining any system on a boat but not what I choose to do with my time cruising. If it's something someone enjoys, then good on them!
Old 17-04-2017, 20:09   #132

Actually, some of the systems (if used properly) can mostly eliminate marine environment factor. Big solar array/battery bank create extra power, which can be used:
1. for dehumidifiers (or combined AC/dehumidifier units) throughout the boat and
2. for making enough fresh water to eliminate salt water use in all systems, except the engine exhaust cooling (and that also can be tweaked so there's only salt water when engine is running, otherwise - fresh water). So the only electric/electronic systems in danger will be ones outside, exposed to the sun, salt water and weather - solar panels, winches, sensors, etc.
Dry environment makes huge difference.
Old 18-04-2017, 04:40   #133
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holbrook View Post
I been there and done that too but my "extra" systems didn't constantly breakdown. Researching and buying quality helps. Sounds like you have been very unlucky and left jaded. Cheers

Buying quality definitely helps but it's a known fact, the more systems you have, the more systems you have to maintain and the greater chance you will spend time maintaining and fixing them than sailing. It's a personal choice, but you can't tell me I would spend the same amount of time maintaining a boat with 6 air conditioners as one without.
Old 18-04-2017, 04:44   #134
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchero76 View Post
Actually, some of the systems (if used properly) can mostly eliminate marine environment factor. Big solar array/battery bank create extra power, which can be used:
1. for dehumidifiers (or combined AC/dehumidifier units) throughout the boat and
2. for making enough fresh water to eliminate salt water use in all systems, except the engine exhaust cooling (and that also can be tweaked so there's only salt water when engine is running, otherwise - fresh water). So the only electric/electronic systems in danger will be ones outside, exposed to the sun, salt water and weather - solar panels, winches, sensors, etc.
Dry environment makes huge difference.

So now I need to introduce more systems that will require maintenance so I will have less maintenance on the systems already in place? Sounds like I will be spinning around in circles chasing my tail!
Old 18-04-2017, 05:03   #135

Your argument was "extra" systems "constantly breakdown" despite you having the expertise to maintain any system on a boat. If you think you need six aircon units on a smaller cat like yours I think we have found the problem🤣

Hell most 45' cats have maybe three aircon units and if you know what you are doing a few hours maintenance a year is fine. Anyways like you say it's a personal choice.

Quote:
Buying quality definitely helps but it's a known fact, the more systems you have, the more systems you have to maintain and the greater chance you will spend time maintaining and fixing them than sailing. It's a personal choice, but you can't tell me I would spend the same amount of time maintaining a boat with 6 air conditioners as one without.
Closed Thread