Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2013, 14:58   #61

Boat: too many
Re: New Alpha 42 to be Built in the US

At this phase of the build, have you given any consideration to an all electric galley? Seems to be the wave of the future, induction cook tops, convection/microwave ovens and a large battery bank and inverter so that noisy gen time isn't needed.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 16:05   #62
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
At this phase of the build, have you given any consideration to an all electric galley? Seems to be the wave of the future, induction cook tops, convection/microwave ovens and a large battery bank and inverter so that noisy gen time isn't needed.
That sounds great but don't you need that noisy generator to charge the batteries?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 16:11   #63

That is for the solar panels if you size for domestic loads. I'm just not a fan of propane. You already size your panels for the 24/7 needs of fridge and freezer, not that much more to handle cooking twice a day.
Old 17-03-2013, 16:32   #64
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
That is for the solar panels if you size for domestic loads. I'm just not a fan of propane. You already size your panels for the 24/7 needs of fridge and freezer, not that much more to handle cooking twice a day.
I may be wrong but I would think there would be a huge electrical output to cook with electricity that is powered by solar panels.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 17:04   #65

Well, crunch the numbers. (2) 1500 induction cooktops running to cook breakfast. 20 minutes of 50% cycling, 500 w-hr. Convection oven for the dinner meal and one cooktop, 25% duty cycle for oven running for 1 hour, 20 minutes on cooktop at 50%. 875 w-hr. 1375 w-hr per day for meals. One 260 watt panel getting 5.3 hours of sun should do it, not bad.
Old 17-03-2013, 18:34   #66

I think most believe galley electrical loads are high because of the high wattage of cooking elements. Even an old style calrod cooktop cycles to hold temp. The induction cooktops are 30% more efficient. Then they figure their batteries aren't up to it because of a-hr de-rating at high current draws on lead acid batteries (Peukert). This doesn't apply to the LiFePO4 cells, and with their 3000 cycle life are becoming a popular option for house bank of batteries. Pulling 250 amps on lead acid, depending on bank size, drops the voltage 10~20%. Again, doesn't apply to lithium. This is why a fully electric galley is fairly new, and only offered on high end boats. No reason during a build you can't spec for a lithium housebank, larger inverter, and some extra solar panels, and do away with the propane, regulators, tanks, piping, alarms and solenoids, etc.
Old 18-03-2013, 13:22   #67

Boat: Alpha 42 #3

So, I've pointed Gregor to this bit of the thread. I'll let you know what he has to say about an all electric galley, if he doesn't post himself.
cruisingkrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 14:04   #68

Thanks, it will be the way I go next time.
Old 18-03-2013, 14:15   #69

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

Gregor will do everything to make you happy
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 09:32   #70

Boat: Hughes/Perry custom CF 63' tri; Hughes 46 custom tri, Hobie 20 Fox

Now, if we could get someone in the U.S. to build a real racer/cruiser 40'-50' trimaran. Not something that has "bedrooms" and sliding glass doors like a double-wide.
Pipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 10:02   #71

Boat: Hughes/Perry custom CF 63' tri; Hughes 46 custom tri, Hobie 20 Fox

I posted this in another thread. Lalou Roucayrol built a less expensive boat about five years ago...a much less "race-first" boat, that could have been a racer/cruiser. The boat pitch-poled in a huge squall on her way back to France from a race, and the freighter that picked the crew up, hit and severely damaged the tri. It was abandoned.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
Pipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 13:32   #72

My friend who lives on Li stopped by at the yard and has been following the Alpha 42 build since they started last year in April. He says that the progress is great and the boat is taking shape. The decks are on he talked to the builder, he said that the cockpit and roof are being installed next week.

He took photographs of all kind of goodies: Yanmar engines and Selden mast. Amazingly this Alpha 42 will supposedly have NORTH sails as standard ! wow. thats class.

He reverted me to the Alpha 42 build blog on the Aeroyacht.com website and was able to "hack" a couple of shots below.

There will be a Milestone Builder Party on the July 20th at the yard in Patchogue, NY. If I had the time I would come. Pete will be there and will update me with more pictures.

If these guys can make this work, the Alpha 42 will be on top of any other foreign or domestic built cat. Hats off to them.http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...lies/smile.gif
leyachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 19:16   #73

I love the idea of a cat built in America! I priced one out and at a base price of 350,000 range it came out around 890,000 fully equipped. I selected everything one would possibly need and some things you may not. I don't know what the final tally of a foreign cat will be of comparable quality say an Antares or FP Helia but the base price can be possibly quite deceiving. If I could actually touch one to compare then I would be even more excited about this sweet looking cat. If anyone else, with more knowledge than myself, about catamarans set up for cruising and live aboard could give me some insight, it would be greatly appreciated. It looks like a fantastic vessel and I would love to take a ride on one to see for myself. My better half and I are looking to retire on one and cruise till we get tired of visiting far away places.....
firekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 08:57   #74

Re: New Alpha 42 is LAUNCHED !!

You are right, if I choose every single option then even on a comparable Lagoon or Helia 44 the total price will be well over 900,000 US$. I am not sure if this is the right approach for comparison. Each sailor must find their sweet spot and financial comfort zone but allot of questions will be answered when the first boat is in the water. My friend who lives in NY went to the launch party and he said there were 200 people there and even a Greek priest who baptized the boat...speeches that were all very touching.

Now the Alpha 42 Nr. 1 is in the water and I am planing to drive across the country to visit the yard and see this puppy's quality.
leyachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 10:47   #75

Thanks for your reply,
I finally found my "build sheet" on the Alpha 42 I spoke of and I must correct myself. It came out at $728,056.00 not 890,000. I know there are things on my build that I will not need but I was playing with what I may want. There are definitely necessities and desires on this build sheet. I would love to see one in person so I can check the fit and finish, which from everything I've heard, it is top quality. Honestly I don't know much about any of them as I have not owned one. I can't afford, at this time, to zip across the country to see this one in person as much as I would love to. When one ends up on the west coast in the near future I would love to be a nosey neighbor and have the owner show it off to me and brag about it.
KT
firekt is offline   Reply With Quote