Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2020, 07:34   #16

Re: New Balance 442

Thats 50 orders before first one is even completed. Which is why unless they increase production capacity they will continue to have a 4 or 5:year wait
greycellgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 18:59   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
I think Antares builds about 6 and lightwave about 2 per year. These guys need to hire some French designers and at least offer a modern alternative to the classic hulls.
Why? Have the laws of physics and hydrodynamics changed?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 19:37   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Why? Have the laws of physics and hydrodynamics changed?

Thats what the lady from Antares said.

If you need to use that argument then....you are in trouble.

I would love to see what a new revamped Antares would be like.

A lot has to do the competitive landscape as well. The mid 45 multihull market is not the same as where the boreal 44 plays. Even ovni is revamping their lineup. The ovni 400 is apparently the future if the lineup.

A million dollar Antares 44gs is not an easy sell these days. Im sure you agree.

Great boats for the secondhand market but as a new offering, you would really have to be willing to pay for all that wood and maybe if you must have a shaft drive.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 20:12   #19
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

If you need to use that argument then....you are in trouble.

ITs not an argument its a fact.
Old 02-12-2020, 20:23   #20

Quote:
ITs not an argument its a fact.
So naval architecture and yacht design have not made any progress in the past 15 years?

One obvious sign the Antares is getting long in the tooth is how they decided to include an integrated bowsprit this year. I suppose because integrated longerons look is all the rage these days. But it is just a cosmetic item without the benefits of an integrated lognerons, ie getting rid of the wire stays. Now you need to pay an extra 2 feet at the marina for no reason. The newer design have the longerons the same length as the hull.

I really like the basic design philosophies of the Antares and would like to see them thrive and innovate.
Old 02-12-2020, 20:25   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by greycellgreen View Post
Thats 50 orders before first one is even completed. Which is why unless they increase production capacity they will continue to have a 4 or 5:year wait
Seawind has stated in a few interviews they have strategies in place to to ramp up production and the wait time should get shorter once they are in place.
Old 02-12-2020, 20:27   #22

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian_W View Post
New 44 foot catamaran by balance. Starting at 700,000$

I really like the versa helm, and that you can sail the boat from a fully enclosed position in the aft cockpit. They include a forward facing nav station. It will be interesting what a fully loaded catamaran will cost, but definitely a welcome design to the 40-45 foot catamaran cruiser market. Can't wait to see the first build.

https://balancecatamarans.com/our-models/442-2/

$700k seems like a lot for a pair of shoes. Granted they are the only brand I wear since I have duck feet (EEEE width). There are plenty of models in the 900 range that are less than $200.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 20:47   #23
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
So naval architecture and yacht design have not made any progress in the past 15 years?
Didn't say that - said that laws of physics and fluid dynamics haven't changed.

Quote:
The newer design have the longerons the same length as the hull.
Thats an example of fasjhion for fashion sake. The reason that bow sprits are long are to get the tack well forward, indeed as far forward as possible. Integrated longerons that are are same/similar length as hull are pointless from a sailing physics point of view, they serve no useful purpose, again another reason to actually design boats to laws of physics and not fashion.
Old 02-12-2020, 20:58   #24

Quote:

Thats an example of fasjhion for fashion sake. The reason that bow sprits are long are to get the tack well forward, indeed as far forward as possible. Integrated longerons that are are same/similar length as hull are pointless from a sailing physics point of view, they serve no useful purpose, again another reason to actually design boats to laws of physics and not fashion.
We probably agree a redesign would be good then? How about I swap out the French designer for Australian designer. hahah. We're good now?

The seas haven't changed argument(sorry, fact) would suit a broker trying to sell secondhand boats better than a manufacturer trying to sell you new million dollar boats.
Old 02-12-2020, 23:07   #25

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

Quote:

I think you are right on some points, both are catamarans made for sailing and fashion has a part to play in design differences... but thats exactly why shops no longer stock 1970s flared jeans. Jeans are jeans, they both do the job.. but no one buys the 1970s design anymore. Sadly the same goes for catamarans. Galley down has many advantages but people now prefer galley up, they prefer communal heads that can be accessed without having to walk through someone's cabin, and they also prefer performance over a desire to get under some bridges.

We loved the Antares but the lack of design choice in certain areas saw it fall off our shortlist. Fashion choices yes, but ones we felt important enough to look elsewhere.
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:37   #26

Boat: Leopard 40

We on our 2nd Leopard with Sunsail/Moorings and will be looking for a cruising cat in 5 years. Well, looking at some of the order backlogs, we might need to start looking now!

First time I have looked at the Antares, and probably the last. Not unless they do some major updates. No point buying a yacht that’s already 15 years (maybe more) old when you take delivery. Not even close to my short list. Kind of like the St Francis Catamarans.

While the “laws of physics and hydrodynamics” may not have changed, the volume, layout and use space most certainly have improved in modern cats.
I stopped comparing the Antares when I saw the Balance 442 was a whole 1 meter wider and carried almost double the amount of fuel!

Who on earth would like to cook in a downstairs galley?

When trying to sell a secondhand Antares I feel your market my be very very limited, especially when you up against more modern and cheaper options.

FYI, my short list...for now
Balance 442
Leopard 42 and 45
Lagoon 42 and 46
In no particular order!

If we win the lottery we may add in some 50 footers!

Just don’t like the upstairs lounges on some of the new cats!

Cheers All, have a great day!
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:42   #27

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
$700k seems like a lot for a pair of shoes. Granted they are the only brand I wear since I have duck feet (EEEE width). There are plenty of models in the 900 range that are less than $200.
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote